Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

They are not going to make a decision on whether or not they are going to be staying at GP whether the coach is fired after the 7th game or after the 10th game.  All they have done by making this move is potentially effect the candidate pool for what will be a very critical hire.

It's literally the dumbest thing that GP could do, hilariously stupid in fact.

I for one do not agree with firing a coach in the middle of the season based on his won/loss record.  IMO, what this will do is send a message to all potential head coaches that Goodpasture is serious about football and they expect to win.  Only the coaches that truly on top of their game will send in an application.

I recognize your point but we will have to respectfully disagree. I would rather see the leadership make moves to better the program than continue spewing the company line. All while players and parents are concerned and actively speaking with other schools.

Maybe it doesn't change anyone's concerns. But if I had a good 8th grade football player that liked the school but wasn't thrilled about Varsity football then I may reconsider transferring.

You're not talking about a CFB or NFL job this is still HS ball.  You're letting your connection to the school cloud your judgement (I have no dog in this hunt).  No player/parent is going to make a decision based on whether or not a coach is allowed to finish the last 3 games of the season or not.  They are going to make a decision based on who the next coach is that's hired (which is not going to happen until the conclusion of the season anyway).  

You can argue all you want but this move in HS FB just doesn't make sense and is even more damning to the GP administration than what many GP people on here have been discussing recently.

Took a break from the boards after the RBS loss.   And then obviously the news with Coach Mote hit.  I do not think there was an advantage of letting him go before the season ended, but with the chances of going 0-10 at Goodpasture, it was probably in the best interest of both parties.   I don't think it made a difference when it was announced, but coach probably knew after Friday night he was done either then, or in 3 more games. 

There are a variety of reasons that Mote was let go, and if you went any games then you could see why.  I think what hurt Mote the most was that there was no pride left in the team.  I mean you should be able line up and give the best player the ball 25 times to beat RBS.  But Friday night was a deathblow.  While RBS has improved over the last 5 years, they have been 1 of the top 3 worst programs in the state (if not the worst) for the past 30 years.  We just flat out can't score.

I do agree that this is a big hire for the Goodpasture football and overall athletic program.  And as far as coaches applying, I think it's in the best interest of RP to identify top targets and reach out to them first....then go from there.  I know the talent has been down, etc. but this is the same school in the past decade to have 2 NFL players and a MLB baseball player.  The right home run hire could bring some influx of talent in along with a better overall football staff should pay some dividends.  It will also help boys basketball and baseball as well. 

We don't need "good contacts" at local middle schools.  We need a leader, and a competent football coach to compete with the other schools with our type demographics. 

You're not talking about a CFB or NFL job this is still HS ball.  You're letting your connection to the school cloud your judgement (I have no dog in this hunt).  No player/parent is going to make a decision based on whether or not a coach is allowed to finish the last 3 games of the season or not.  They are going to make a decision based on who the next coach is that's hired (which is not going to happen until the conclusion of the season anyway).  

You can argue all you want but this move in HS FB just doesn't make sense and is even more damning to the GP administration than what many GP people on here have been discussing recently.

Only time might make sense is if you got a coach lined up to start immediately

Took a break from the boards after the RBS loss.   And then obviously the news with Coach Mote hit.  I do not think there was an advantage of letting him go before the season ended, but with the chances of going 0-10 at Goodpasture, it was probably in the best interest of both parties.   I don't think it made a difference when it was announced, but coach probably knew after Friday night he was done either then, or in 3 more games. 

There are a variety of reasons that Mote was let go, and if you went any games then you could see why.  I think what hurt Mote the most was that there was no pride left in the team.  I mean you should be able line up and give the best player the ball 25 times to beat RBS.  But Friday night was a deathblow.  While RBS has improved over the last 5 years, they have been 1 of the top 3 worst programs in the state (if not the worst) for the past 30 years.  We just flat out can't score.

I do agree that this is a big hire for the Goodpasture football and overall athletic program.  And as far as coaches applying, I think it's in the best interest of RP to identify top targets and reach out to them first....then go from there.  I know the talent has been down, etc. but this is the same school in the past decade to have 2 NFL players and a MLB baseball player.  The right home run hire could bring some influx of talent in along with a better overall football staff should pay some dividends.  It will also help boys basketball and baseball as well. 

We don't need "good contacts" at local middle schools.  We need a leader, and a competent football coach to compete with the other schools with our type demographics.

Better get a big name like Ingle Martin or you'll never compete with the financial state of Madison these days. GP is not even a good area to have a school like that anymore if you ask me. It's run down and poorly around Madison.

You make some good points, and honestly I feel the pain for the Goodpasture fans too...just don't approve of some remarks made before, and the timeline of firing the coach. Take a step back and read the entire thread though, and it's plain to see what the most disturbing thing about the situation as a whole. This thread is about recruiting talent, not coaching ability...no mention of development of their young players at all. Make the program more appealing...our own kids are looking at other schools...got to have a big name coach to attract players...you do realize that you're playing in the public school division, right? Sheesh, at least the pro's have rights to trade players and the ability to hold players under contract...sounds like a complete free agent situation going on there.

I think Goodpasture fans need to step back and look at the situation Mote inherited.  Obviously in Martin's last year the team had a terrible year and many of the individuals who played or got suspended didn't return.  Moreover as this board llustrated the last few years of Martin's tenure were not rosy off the field.  Also Mote had a major staff shake up leading to instability in the program.  Moreover the last two years goodpastures talent is noticeably down from their better years.  Combine all those factors and boom you see a great deal for the lack of success.  Bottom line mote walked into a bad situation.  Now was he the guy to pilot through the trouble waters obviously not but from things on this board and words coming out of due west admin issues and internal issues abound.  For what its worth and I am not an expert on the situation currently they should probably hire and keep Andy McWilliams as head coach.  He knows the community and kids and obviously is a respected hold over on the staff.  Right now Goodpasture needs stability and a LEADER as much as a football guru. The GP program is in rebuilding mode and they will not return over night to wear they were or have been.  Sadly this happens to most coaches who follow a highly successful coach on the field who left the program in turmoil.  Things should be better for the next guy if history holds true. 

As for Chris Hill at Wynne?  He has had more jobs than any other coach around.  IF you google around you see he hasn't been at a school for more than 3 years ever.  Also Wyyne football from googling has a great football tradition and had a few down years.  They had a legendary coach I read about that ran the single wing.  Nobody wants a journeyman coach with a lack of commitment. 

As you are talking about Wynne sounds a lot like a school that this post is all about. Go look at how many different schools he has taken to the playoffs every year too. Yeah that's the way I would go about it. Let's not take a great coach that wins at every school he has been at, and continues to take over jobs that are known for mediocrity and turns them into winners because he might eventually leave. Let's take a mediocre coach with a losing record and continue to sink Goodpasture's football program even further than what is has already sunk because he won't leave until you fire him. Whether he stays forever or not I don't know but I do know he will change the mentality of that program in a hurry, and get them back to playing football. I also know he was very interested in the job and I am sure he still is. Maybe the Church of Christ guy wants to coach football and be part of a Church of Christ school.

No reason to talk about that aforementioned Coach he is gone and probably would of resigned at the end of the year.  I never said the Wynne? coach wasnt good I just said he has moved on from every job he has ever had and for most admin that is a red flag.  It takes away your credibility when you have coached at 8 schools and none of them more than 4 years when you say you want to retire at a school.   Moving on all of Goodpastures success has been in the wing t so it will be interesting to see if they hire a coach with that background.  Also junior high parents will always look around at school options and talk before high school that is nothing new. I imagine Mote wasn't the first choice last time so it will be interesting this time around. Obviously the situation still will be tough for the next guy but the right guy always make things right.  Very few schools get or have the right guy.  Good luck to Goodpasture and the Coach that is now at Wynne.