Goodpasture Football 2014

Rainwater

You can't ultimately place all of the blame on the private schools.  If people want a better education or shot at competitive/organized athletics then some of the blame has to be on the public schools.  

Most of the county schools outside of Davidson County have pretty competitive programs.  Beech/Hendersonville in Sumner, Williamson County (Indy, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Franklin) Rutherford County (pick your school) and Wilson (Mt. Juliet, occasionally WC).  

Ask yourself this question.......would you want your child to learn and play varsity sports at Hunters Lane/Whites Creek or Goodpasture?   Yes, privates have a competitive advantage in Davidson County, but at some point that becomes a MNPS problem....not a private school problem.   Your Overtons, Hillsboros, East Lit's, Maplewoods, Pearl Cohns, have all had competitive football and basketball programs.  Overton has always been a solid baseball program.  They have all lost players to private schools, but continue to field quality teams. 

If you live in the Davidson County side of Goodlettsville......and your kid is a good baseball, basketball or football player....you going to Hunters Lane?  Have you seen that school?  It's complete chaos.  You live up in Joelton.....Whites Creek?  Go Cobras.  South Nashville....u going to Glencliff?  Go Colts.  

If anyone should be complaining about losing athletes, it should be Metro.....but they don't want to do anything to change or put importance on athletics.   When they destroyed the neighborhood school system, those days changed.   It's tough to keep kids in those programs with all of the disadvantages they have.  I have several coaching friends of mine that coach in Metro programs, and it's a daily challenge.  

There's no blame to be placed, at least on the schools. Privates (IMO) play in the public division for one reason, and only one. They have a better shot at winning a championship, period. The TSSAA is at fault for allowing that choice, not the schools, but lets not hide the truth.

Better shot at competitive/organized athletics? I don't get what you're saying unless it's a better shot at beating publics. If your kid can transfer to a private and play, they could stay put and play. Much better chance to work your way into athletics at a public school...ask the kids sitting the bench at CPA behind kids recruited from all over what opportunity they have.

For the better education...Scotts Hill High graduates 95% of every child who enrolls there (one of the top percentages in Tn.), and that includes every child within busing zones. Some of those wouldn't have a shot at attending a private school. Of those who graduate, 92% enroll in college (also one of the top percentages). The private school that you support just might match those numbers, but try doing it with some kids who have no support at home,whose parents worry more about where their next beer or pills will come  from, decide weather to buy lotto tickets or pay for Jr's reduced lunches... or if they're lucky, if Jr. gets home from football practice in time to haul hay, cut the grass, or fix the tractor and still get his homework. Don't place the blame on my public school.

Edited by tradertwo

Don't think your going to lose a ton of kids if you live out in the sticks away from large metropolitan areas.  There are more than a few small schools that are virtually off the beaten path...so to speak.  Community spirit should factor into a kid's choices, but with the "gleam" of some of these new facilities going up....I'm sure the lure to go to a private school is captivating.

Kazaloo loo

You may have missed the point I was trying to make which is my fault for not being clear.

My kids go to Boyd Buc.

We lose kids to Other schools going into 9th (Baylor and McCallie) because we don't offer aid to athletes.

Put us in D2 and that will end. Plus others will come asking to come to the school. The public schools complain now but put all the small privates in Chattanooga in D2 and see what happens.

We have been told on here for years the small private schools barely have enough money for teacher salaries and utility bills, all of the sudden there will be extra money lying around for football scholarships, cough, financial aid?

If parents start determining if coaches get fired then that school sports teams are in real chaos. If that happens no one will want to succeed that fired coach. The parents might get him fired too. Just try getting behind your coach and give him 100% support while he's there.

"Bleacher coaches make bad real coaches."

Also the coach you GET could be worse than the coach you GOT!!!!!!!!

Edited by gtripledip

If parents start determining if coaches get fired then that school sports teams are in real chaos. If that happens no one will want to succeed that fired coach. The parents might get him fired too. Just try getting behind your coach and give him 100% support while he's there.

"Bleacher coaches make bad real coaches."

Also the coach you GET could be worse than the coach you GOT!!!!!!!!

Are you saying the parents should not comment to the administration if they are not happy with the current state of the program? So you are saying that everyone at Goodpasture should get behind the current coach and give him 100% support while he is head coach? I don't believe you will get some on this post to agree with you.

Are you saying the parents should not comment to the administration if they are not happy with the current state of the program? So you are saying that everyone at Goodpasture should get behind the current coach and give him 100% support while he is head coach? I don't believe you will get some on this post to agree with you.

The parents got involved last time and fired a coaching legend.  Anyone with common sense knows you don't fire a guy with his resume, but in high school athletics anything is possible these days when it comes to coaches.  

And I can assure you, the coach WE GET, will not be worse than the coach WE GOT.  

Assuming you make a change, do you have someone in mind?

1st 3 people I would call would be Paul Wade at Ensworth and Anthony Crabtree at Beech, and John McNeal at Friendship.     If you are willing to spend the money, you can get Wade.  Crabtree is probably 10 years away from a public school retirement, but if you can up his salary you might be able to get him.  Both of those are underappreciated at their current schools.  McNeal would be a definite phone call and would have been great in a football/baseball hire, but think it would be impossible for him to leave.    

A 2nd tier group I would look at would include: 

1.) Jay Gore - McGavock

2.) Scott Blade - Independence

3.) Jeff Brothers - NCS

If you go with the coordinator route, then I would look at: 

1.) Jody Atwood at FCS

2.) David Peden at BGA 

There will be plenty of applicants.  Goodpasture just needs to be aggressive.