Loretto vs Collinwood

alumni1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really admire this Collinwood team.  Despite being very thin in the line they fight to the bitter end and this was a very tight game until the last play of the first half where Loretto got some divine help on a deflected pass that went to a Loretto receiver and then he walked into the endzone.  Despite the final score I thought the wood make a baby step forward again.  Still making lots of mistakes and their outside contain is pretty weak but the offense is slowly coming around and their special teams is really very good with a pair of 46 yard field goals and several long kick returns by Lockley who is an exciting little back.  Scott also ran very well, he knocked a big Loretto linebacker silly on one hard run. It was very physical but nobody from Collinwood got banged up to bad although they have a few playing on one leg.

I have enjoyed all the games this year cause the team just battles every time out and just need a bit more experience at a couple of positions and a couple more big lineman to be as good as their competition which has been brutal to put it mildly having already played  Wilson, Lewis Co, WC, Clarksville Academy, and a solid Loretto team.  That lineup would make any 1a team struggle.

The biggest problem on defense is outside contain...it has really killed them in the games Ive seen....Don't know where the dbs go on those plays. 

Offensively those dump passes to the back would work a ton better if a bigger back was the target...this would allow the qb to find him quicker and cause bigger players are much better targets.   Also move Bigelow to WR...he has the hands to actually catch the ball and Robertson's accuracy is improving a lot.  He needs to tuck it and run tho instead of waiting so long for a route to develop.  If its not there, just take off.

Defensively move Adams and Scott to linebacker...they could combine with Wear to make a fearsome threesome that would make running backs think twice about hitting that hole.  All three guys  have the power linebackers need so desperately.   Also, give Bigelow a shot in the secondary...they need more senior leadership back there and better tackling.  Besides, he is to light to be stuck at linebacker.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, its fun watching the solid foundation this years hard fighting bunch is putting down!!!!   Great job!!   PS, congrats to Montgomery on the 90 yard run...he needs to play more and give 21 a chance somewhere...he has size and looks very athletic

Edited by TheMirrorThief

IF the Mustangs can hold on to the ball I like their chances otherwise the Wood might get the win.  Last game they only had one fumble but it was on the 10 yard line and put us in the hole early.  They did okay on defense most of the night but gave up too many BIG plays that killed them, really one player.  Allowed one punt return for a TD but did better on coverage.  Although the score didn't indicate it I think they are showing some improvement.  Made some changes that seems to be helping.  Still have injuries to over come as well.  Lots of room to improve

Loretto does fujmble a LOT...Collinwood scored three times off their fumbles and they dropped a few other times but got it back.  However, I think Loretto looks good...they have a big team with good looking backs and several nice sized linemen.  Their qb is a very accurate passer and really sneaky with those bootleg runs.  That big back they brought n the game in the fourth quarter is a monster...they had better give him the rock from the getgo...he is big and runs really hard...no 87? I def think Loretto can hang with WC, that should be a really good one. Loretto defense did seem to wear down but maybe it was because they managed to get a good lead their at the end of the half?  Their special teams coverage was terrible.

Loretto fumbled way too much as we typically do and our punt/kickoff coverage has got to be the worse I have ever seen in my life.  Absolutely terrible.  We spot the other team, assuming they don't run it back for a TD, short field every time we kick or punt.   Cant win games giving up the ball and giving up a short field.

As for the divine help, the pass was off a little and the Loretto WR had to become a DB and tipped it out of the Cwood players hands and it luckily landed in his hands where he was able to score with no time on the clock.  Loretto, still making way too many mistakes, penalties, etc...  However, they seem to be improving some.  Passing is picking up and spreading the ball around and the QB can run pretty good.  Still lots of room for improvement.

I thought the Cwood kicker, Littlejohn, did a great job.  very good player.  Based on the game last night it seems that Cwood is undersized a bit and it really hurts them.  They don't have a lot of meat to block the holes on defense or give their QB time to pass on offense.  They lost a lot from last year and it hurts.  They do have heart as they never gave up.  I would have thought they would have gone for a TD after they kicked and scored 3 and Loretto was penalized which gave Cwood a first down on like Loretto's 15 yard line.   Good luck in your up coming games.

I really admire this Collinwood team.  Despite being very thin in the line they fight to the bitter end and this was a very tight game until the last play of the first half where Loretto got some divine help on a deflected pass that went to a Loretto receiver and then he walked into the endzone.  Despite the final score I thought the wood make a baby step forward again.  Still making lots of mistakes and their outside contain is pretty weak but the offense is slowly coming around and their special teams is really very good with a pair of 46 yard field goals and several long kick returns by Lockley who is an exciting little back.  Scott also ran very well, he knocked a big Loretto linebacker silly on one hard run. It was very physical but nobody from Collinwood got banged up to bad although they have a few playing on one leg.

I have enjoyed all the games this year cause the team just battles every time out and just need a bit more experience at a couple of positions and a couple more big lineman to be as good as their competition which has been brutal to put it mildly having already played  Wilson, Lewis Co, WC, Clarksville Academy, and a solid Loretto team.  That lineup would make any 1a team struggle.

The biggest problem on defense is outside contain...it has really killed them in the games Ive seen....Don't know where the dbs go on those plays. 

Offensively those dump passes to the back would work a ton better if a bigger back was the target...this would allow the qb to find him quicker and cause bigger players are much better targets.   Also move Bigelow to WR...he has the hands to actually catch the ball and Robertson's accuracy is improving a lot.  He needs to tuck it and run tho instead of waiting so long for a route to develop.  If its not there, just take off.

Defensively move Adams and Scott to linebacker...they could combine with Wear to make a fearsome threesome that would make running backs think twice about hitting that hole.  All three guys  have the power linebackers need so desperately.   Also, give Bigelow a shot in the secondary...they need more senior leadership back there and better tackling.  Besides, he is to light to be stuck at linebacker.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, its fun watching the solid foundation this years hard fighting bunch is putting down!!!!   Great job!!   PS, congrats to Montgomery on the 90 yard run...he needs to play more and give 21 a chance somewhere...he has size and looks very athletic

I fell asleep last night just trying to stay awake long enough to read this book.. come on dude just quote not write a novel

Very tight game till the devine help? You realize that Loretto outgained CHS 197-13 in the first quarter? It was a strange play but that game was never in doubt. Loretto has to quit dropping the ball on the ground and clean up their special teams badly. Incredible to me how bad kickoff and punt coverage is. Covering kicks is about finding the ball and making the tackle instead of looking to hit somebody hard when you get downfield. Never stay in our lanes and are undisciplined.

Always enjoyed the games with the Wood and hope they get thru these tough times.

Very tight game till the devine help? You realize that Loretto outgained CHS 197-13 in the first quarter? It was a strange play but that game was never in doubt. Loretto has to quit dropping the ball on the ground and clean up their special teams badly. Incredible to me how bad kickoff and punt coverage is. Covering kicks is about finding the ball and making the tackle instead of looking to hit somebody hard when you get downfield. Never stay in our lanes and are undisciplined.

Always enjoyed the games with the Wood and hope they get thru these tough times.

the score was 21  13...that is a very tight game dude...you got lucky on that last play of the half...it happens

the score was 21 13...that is a very tight game dude...you got lucky on that last play of the half...it happens

Dude? What game did you watch? You got a FG on your first possession after we fumbled on our first play (your offense lost 5 yards on their 3 plays by the way). You got a TD after we fumbled again on our 20. This was right before our "lucky" TD.This game was never in doubt and there was never a time after our 2nd possession that I thought we might be in trouble. Loretto had 46 carries for 400 yards. CHS had 90 yards of total offense.

Edited by 1MustangFan