PreGame Prayer

crow

In light of the recent event here at Oneida and the community response lead by the cheerleading squad I thought I'd ask how other small schools outside our area conduct pregame in regards to prayer. I know South Pitt has had a similar issue and responded with their "meet me at the 50" that, like our response, has came under fire as we'll. Just curious if other schools have came up with unique & inventive ways of handling this type of situation.

I'm very proud of how our community has responded to this. I tried to post a link but was unsuccessful but an out of state middle school has responded to this story here by beginning to hold an open team prayer on the field before their games where they apparently had never prayed in pregame until recently. Just goes to show how God can get victory in the face of defeat. #takeastand

Edited by crow

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In light of the recent event here at Oneida and the community response lead by the cheerleading squad I thought I'd ask how other small schools outside our area conduct pregame in regards to prayer. I know South Pitt has had a similar issue and responded with their "meet me at the 50" that, like our response, has came under fire as we'll. Just curious if other schools have came up with unique & inventive ways of handling this type of situation.

I'm very proud of how our community has responded to this. I tried to post a link but was unsuccessful but an out of state middle school has responded to this story here by beginning to hold an open team prayer on the field before their games where they apparently had never prayed in pregame until recently. Just goes to show how God can get victory in the face of defeat. #takeastand

Here's a Fox News link on the Oneida story and the 2 cheerleaders' interview

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/09/19/tennessee-cheerleaders-lead-football-crowd-lords-prayer-defying-schools-ban

At Clarksville Academy we pray often and out loud. Always Before and after all football games. I guess us being a small private (but not a Christian) school might be a different situation. I think any parent, student, teacher or coach should be allowed to pray as an individual or as a organized group. If an individual does not want to participate they can simple remain silent during the prayer. I can't imagine being denied the right to praise God.

Edited by gtripledip

Well we still have a pregame prayer over the intercom as you know.I am very proud of that.I still remember the prayer up at Oneida before the 012 game a preacher gave it and boy that was "one of those" prayers.Very proud of the OHS community.

Well we still have a pregame prayer over the intercom as you know.I am very proud of that.I still remember the prayer up at Oneida before the 012 game a preacher gave it and boy that was "one of those" prayers.Very proud of the OHS community.

Yeah I knew y'all still did & I think that is awesome! I never thought I'd hear a moment if silence at The Reservation. Then again I only heard 1 thanks to the resolve of a group of young ladies, a great community, & an almighty God! Edited by crow

We pray at our games :)

Kidding aside, it was great to see the young ladies take the stance and initiative to start the prayer. Because they are cheerleaders from the school, I would say the bums at the ACLU will be back on you guys. We live in a messed up society where people want to argue about prayer.

Not saying it's wrong, but a moment of silence allows u to pray to the lord in our own privacy. Maybe I'm out of context here though.

I agree that you should not pray as the hypocrites who pray in the synagogue and on the corners but when all the verses along with others I believe this is in reference to praying only in public. In other words don't just pray when folks can see or hear you but also also in private. I believe this is more an instruction about needing to have a real relationship with God not just a public prayer ceremony.

One of my issues with not allowing public prayer in case it offends someone is that is the same as denying him in front of your peers because they may be offended or may ridicule you. "If you deny me in front of thine peers then I will deny you to My Father". Is a moment of silence denial? Well if done so someone doesn't hear me pray because of the threat of legal action or offense then to me it is. Obviously there are a stadium full of folks from Oneida & Watertown that agreed with me.

It's not my right to demand someone pray either silent or aloud, I don't recognize anyone on earths authority to demand I not.

Edited by crow

First of all, the fact that I'm on CoachT on Sunday morning rather than being in church is quite rare for me.  It's also a testament to God's power that I survived major open heart surgery and am on the mend.  Second, South Pittsburg has become victim to the influence of Satan as far as pregame prayers.  We have a moment of silence, but that's it. We tried the meet-at-the-50 thing last year, but it didn't last long.  I firmly believe that if we prayed over the sound system that we'd get a complaint from the atheist group that started all this, but I doubt seriously that anything legal would happen.  I also believe there's a link between SP's poor performance this year and the lack of prayer.  When I'm fully recovered I fully intend to look into this matter and see if I can get enough people behind me to fix it.

We pray at our games :)

Kidding aside, it was great to see the young ladies take the stance and initiative to start the prayer. Because they are cheerleaders from the school, I would say the bums at the ACLU will be back on you guys. We live in a messed up society where people want to argue about prayer.

Believe it or not the FFRF (freedom from religion foundation) one of the main players in pushing the issue released a statement when asked about the response from Oneida stated that they were pleased with the school districts decision to offer a moment of silence. They had no comment on the rest (thats the part that surprised me). . . Yet anyway.

BTW private schools, religiously affiliated or not, are not subject to the same obstacles as public schools. If they keep this up pride I may come around yet :lol:

Edited by crow