Whitehaven vs Ridgeway

coach10ac

Good thing, 6A/5A will be decided next year when we go to the 32 squad format.  For RW, no disrespect but still a 5A squad that Whitehaven should have handled by more than 4 pts.  That's what's wrong with this current system.  A 6A squad that's elite (Whitehaven), should handle a 5A squad no matter how good.  I remember in the day, we just had A/AA/AAA.  Back then, no way a AAA squad loses to a AA team.  Even the worst vs. the top.  Now we have 8 champions. 

The part of your statement that is in bold is what I disgaree with. In most cases, that is a correct assumption ... especially when you start seperating in class. It doesn't hold true across the board however.

An elite team in 3A,4A, and 5A, on some occassions, will be able to compete with an elite teams in 6A or D2-AA.  It just depends on different variables. Just go ask the fans of the Maryvilles, and the Riverdales, and the Ensworths, and the like. There will be some fans in all of those groups who thought like you and had to change their thinking. There have been smaller schools that have competed and even beat elite teams in larger classifications. It happens.

You can assume that Maryville would beat Fulton ... but you will never know unless they play. You might be surprised at what happens. I used Maryville and Fulton because that is one of the hot topics recently in this forum. Back in the day when Greenville was dominating, who's to say they couldn't have beat anybody regardless of classification. The Melrose teams that went to 3 state championship games in a row ... who's to say? They consistently beat good, quality, elite teams from larger classifications during that stretch.

The assumption that elite large school teams should beat, even more importantly, to think that they should handle elite teams from a smaller classification, is erroneous thinking ... it's misguided, at best. 

Edited by kwc

Great insight to the Titans (and your Dolphins).  Couldn't agree more.  Lot of respect now.  Good luck.  Really enjoyed your signoff ... 'Respect da Haven'.  Classic.

LOL, Thanks man... I hate hearing people talk about Locker (and Tannehill for that matter) like they are Franchise QBs, NO, those dudes are Place Holders/Game Managers at best and flat Bums at worst.