Big Games in Memphis - Week 9

kwc

Yes, you read correctly. They played last night and they play tonight. (Hamilton) Early in the season cityballers video recorded Josh McMillon's verbal comittment to Bama. In that filming instant they did an interview with coach Saulsberry. Coach stated in that interview that Whitehaven had contracted to play a game against a large private school called St. Ignatious out of Ohio (I think it's in Dayton). That was to be the annual TRAVEl game out of state against a really good team that Whitehaven has been doing over the past three years. However, for some reason I can't remember, that game fell through and it got canceled at the 11th hour. Meanwhile, Carver had entered into contract to play either MUS or CBHS, I can't remember which, but the school decided, for whatever reason, that they didn't want to play the game anymore. So they and Carver agreed to pay Carver to release them from the contract. Thus, Carver needed a game and Whitehaven needed a game, but to make it work, the game had to be played last night, before the scheduled Hamilton game.

That's my understanding of the scheduling quirk and how it manifested.

Thanks, I figure it had to be a valid reason. Looks like we'll hit the cruise control on the way to the playoffs.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starters played a quarter. The carver people after the game was raving about how well we showed class and didnt try to show their players up.

I know our coaches are class acts. I'm just glad the Carver coaches were happy about how things were handled. It's VERY important to teach the young guys life lessons like the one that they were exposed to last night. I'm especially pleased on how the coaches exhibited class and decorum in handling, what could have been a very embarrasing moment for the Carver young men. Carver is a small struggeling football program. Those young guys on the Whitehaven team don't realize how good they have it until they see something like that. Teenagers will be teenagers ... it takes men to lead by example on how to walk in a manner to which others will want to follow. I am so ever grateful that Coach Saulsberry and staff emphasized to the team on how to behave and act towards their fellow football players on the other side of the field who have to fight and struggle just to get the enough young men to even come out and play on the team.

That was a very good teaching moment.

Idk what's up but it's seems their season and respectability has spiraled down the toilet. I hate it for the team but glad it sent those idiotic fans they had home packing.

Well, the guys who came on here talking trash were going to leave and not come back after Whitehaven beat East ... we all knew that.  But, I'm having trouble figuring out what East team is going to show up myself. It just seems like a consistency issue. It may be a leadership issue. Who on that team is going to push the guys to compete when and if things don't look so good during a game? They perservered last year through a LOT of adversity. I think we all assumed that characteristic would have followed the team into this season. Yet, each season is it's own. I don't have any answers either. I know that coach Wimberly is asking himself and his staff the same questions. The season isn't over for them and they can still make noise in the playoffs. It just doesn't help to have those bad performances against the top teams during the latter part of the season. It just kills morale.

On a different note:

I'm listening to a local sports talk radio show this morning while driving. This show has one of the assistant coaches from MUS as a guest on the show each Friday morning as the local high school expert to help facilitate that conversation as well as inform the listening audience about the goins on of high school football and what not. I can't remember the coach's name but he's a Jr., as in Clark Kent Jr. He sounded African American, if that helps anybody put a name to the voice I heard on the radio, not that it make what he said any more valid or anything, but somebody reading this in coaching circles may be able to put a name to who I am talking about based upon my description.

Anywho ... I'm listening to the show as I drive and then I heard something that made me turn the volume up on the radio. The guys on the show were talking about the turn around that's going on over at Raleigh-Egypt. They are currently 4-4 on the season. Last year they finished 1-9, and had to forfiet their last game of the season against Trezevant because of injuries and defections from the team. Well, John Varlas of the Commercial Appeal has written a story about this year's current team and why they are doing better. If you didn't know, the current coach at Raleigh-Egypt is the one and only Major Wright. The same Major Wright who turned White Station from a dominating baskeball school only to a dominating, competing football program. White Station was a football doormat program until he forged it into a power. He built the nucleus of the program that coach Devin Rutherford turned into a 6A State Championship team in 2009. The conversation about coach Major Wright isn't what turned my head because I already knew that he was the new HC at Raleigh-Egypt. What caught my attention is who he said is an assistant coach over at Raleigh-Egypt helping coach Wright.

Coach Devin Rutherford.

Keep your eye on Raleigh-Egpyt.

Edited by kwc

Munford

Whitestation

Collierville

ST. Benedict

MUS

Ridgeway

Harding

Mitchell

Southwind

Trezevant

Millington

Dou:

It appears you posted your picks AFTER the scores of the Thursday night games. Even though you still selected the Hillcrest/Mithcell game incorrectly. I'm still going to have to count all three games against you.

Just trying to be helpful k-dub...

BTW, Whitehaven, who played their First of TWO varsity games this week tonight smashed Carver 41-0... With the likely win tomorrow against Hamilton, Whitehaven will be the Unofficial King of South Memphis  :mrgreen:   Just FYI

I appreciate the assist BHS. That dime was thrown on point. Easy bucket for me.

I haven't gone back to check the selections, but I think everybody missed the Mitchell/Hillcrest game.

Edited by kwc

On a different note:

I'm listening to a local sports talk radio show this morning while driving. This show has one of the assistant coaches from MUS as a guest on the show each Friday morning as the local high school expert to help facilitate that conversation as well as inform the listening audience about the goins on of high school football and what not. I can't remember the coach's name but he's a Jr., as in Clark Kent Jr. He sounded African American, if that helps anybody put a name to the voice I heard on the radio, not that it make what he said any more valid or anything, but somebody reading this in coaching circles may be able to put a name to who I am talking about based upon my description.

Anywho ... I'm listening to the show as I drive and then I heard something that made me turn the volume up on the radio. The guys on the show were talking about the turn around that's going on over at Raleigh-Egypt. They are currently 4-4 on the season. Last year they finished 1-9, and had to forfiet their last game of the season against Trezevant because of injuries and defections from the team. Well, John Varlas of the Commercial Appeal has written a story about this year's current team and why they are doing better. If you didn't know, the current coach at Raleigh-Egypt is the one and only Major Wright. The same Major Wright who turned White Station from a dominating basketball school only to a dominating, competing football program. White Station was a football doormat program until he forged it into a power. He built the nucleus of the program that coach Devin Rutherford turned into a 6A State Championship team in 2009. The conversation about coach Major Wright isn't what turned my head because I already knew that he was the new HC at Raleigh-Egypt. What caught my attention is who he said is an assistant coach over at Raleigh-Egypt helping coach Wright.

Coach Devin Rutherford.

Keep your eye on Raleigh-Egpyt.

George Rodgers, Jr. Him and/or his pops played at U of M. I think he's the DB coach.

Wait a Minute... Coach Rutherford is acting as an Assistant??? He's better than over Half of the Head coaches in Shelby Co!!!

Wasn't Major Wright at one of the Private Schools for a Spell? Did he not win enough? He was a Major (no Pun intended) Bug-A-Boo for Whitehaven early on in the Saulsberry era.

bottomwriter:

I know you were/are interested in this game because you are a Henry County supporter and you want to see how East stacks up with HC with a common opponent. Fortunately, Ridgeway football has a media guy who keeps his website updated after each game with a game recap, special performances by Ridgeway players, and he is responsible for video recording the games. After each Ridgeway game he puts out a Youtube highlight of tyhe game. WHat I particularly like about LC (The Ridgeway football website regulator/media manager) is thet he doesn't slant the highlights. He shows the good plays for both teams. offensively and defensively. He does a very good job of capsulizing the game in a seven to eight minute highlight video. I've posted the Ridgeway/East game's highlights that LC put on their website below. Enjoy.

Ridgeway vs East 2014

The game stats below are courtesy of the Commercial Appeal.

At Fairgrounds

RIDGEWAY 44, EAST 18

East 0 6 6 6—18

Ridgeway 17 7 7 13—44

Rid — Earl Harrison 14 run (Jonah Roberts kick)

Rid — Katavious Taylor 45 pass from Braxton Conard (Jonah Roberts kick)

Rid — Jonah Roberts 26 FG

Rid — Earl Harrison 4 run (Jonah Roberts kick)

E — DeVante Turner 1 run (kick failed)

Rid — Katavious Taylor 76 pass from Braxton Conard (Jonah Roberts kick)

E — DeVante Turner 70 run (pass failed)

Rid — Earl Harrison 26 run (kick failed)

Rid — Lilotis Walker 14 pass from Tyrique Sandusky (Jonah Roberts kick)

E — Timothy Taylor 11 run (run failed)

E Rid

First downs 21 20

Net yards rushing 188 291

Net yards passing 183 188

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — East, DeVante Turner 20-119. Ridgeway, Earl Harrison 17-199, Lilotis Walker 11-92.

PASSING — East, Eric Banks 15-23-183-2. Ridgeway, Braxton Conard 7-11-188-0.

RECEIVING — Ridgeway, Katavious Taylor 3-130.

RECORDS — East 6-3, Ridgeway 8-1.

Appreciate it bro. The video guy at Ridgeway does do a great non biased job with his highlights.