Offside rule

SRD

I understand the tough role of being a ref, but many of the linesmen in the high school soccer games do not understand the offsides rule. I understand the close calls, but we are talking about perfect through balls that are called off sides just because a striker who is several yards behind a defender when the ball is struck gets to the ball first.

In the big scheme of things it would not have made a difference in my daughter's HS season, though it did cost her numerous assists. I guess at her level with "select" it is normally not an issue- most I have seen could be argued either way without a taped review. At HS level... horrible. I just hope it does not cost a team in the playoffs. We have lived in other states and TN seems to be the worst with this at the HS level.

Let's call a spade a spade: offside in soccer is the worse rule in all of sports. To equate it other sports, it's like saying a quarterback can not throw a pass if the receiver is behind the safety or the wing can't pass the ball to a point guard if the point guard is behind the opposing team.

I'm not sure I care either way, but it is a rule in the sport and as such should be properly understood. Most goal sports have their version of off sides- it took me longer to figure out the ice hockey off sides rule than the soccer rule. As such the rule should be properly understood and enforced by the refs.

And I have to add the worst APPLICATION of a rule has to be the jump ball in basketball. It is difficult, at best, to grab hold of a basketball when an opposing player already has control, and NOT foul. Yet, the reaching-in foul is almost never called. The jump ball call in middle school/high school is an easy call for the refs.