chattanoooga central...year in review

fishheadspin

I figured we needed a place to vent for the next 8 months.

Since I defended the coach early on and said give him a chance..this is my take. This summer coach Mallory and Braswell were working hard to play catch up and lay the foundation of the team. The team showed some immediate improvement. After a great scrimmage and jamboree showing then going 2-0 I think every offensive coach got satisfied. All facets of the team started showing bad habits and the playbook got smaller not bigger. Except the defense.even losing 3 starters they pretty much were stead y

Sure we blew out tyner branierd and Howard....everyone did but we lost to 3 teams that were not as talented and frankly not as good.

I don't think Mallory learned he actually got a little too over confident in his play calling. Talking to my son they never were really coached on offense since the summer. Sure they walked through plays but you did not see any offense line man get better .no running backs got better. No receiver blocking or wrong routes got fixed. And the qb was actually better last year not that it was his fault line backs and receivers never helped hom out much.it was same mistakes every week.

I think this team greatly underacheived and should have went 9-1 or even 10-0. There is not one offense coach on our team I would keep. Terrible play callers and quite frankly pretty much unprepared every game.

There it is..flame me if you want. I defended them and said give them a chance and I did 11 games worth of chances before unloading on them but seasons over so time for 8 months of second guessing.

Edited by fishheadspin

I can tell you are right, I knew, when I seen Rodgers out there helping with Football, him being one of the most rudest coaches to the players that I ever seen, it's not about the kids it's about him, and he treats them like dogs , like he is better' who wants to play for someone like that' not our kids it shows from there record.  with that being said, I have only 3 years left here and I will no longer have to deal with this buddy system. Just know our Basketball team will run on a flat after getting off to a good start till the coaching and training kicks in "or the lack of. Go Ponders   

Say what you want about the QB. He ran for his life all year long. This may be one of the worst lines in the history of Central football. We are fortunate to have a back with great vision that created his own opportunities! It wasn't because of the hogs up front! The QB situation this year will be a 1000x better than what you have returning next year! This was a now or never situation for this program. Losing way too much and the schedule with realignment only gets tougher. The defense is losing every key contributor but Baxter. Losing your all everything kicker also.

As for the coaching staff,

Mallory never showed confidence in his offensive assistants. Carter sat in the box all night only to give mere suggestions that Mallory would continuously get shot down. He led the area by far in delay of game penalties due to Scout running to the sideline between every play. Thoroughly got out coached in several games that we lost. His mentality of not playing kids both ways really cost us about 2-3 victories this year. Mallory also claimed to be the offensive line coach? Enough said.

Braswell had the best athletes on his side of the ball. It showed. The defense led this team until the latter part of the year. He is a fiery guys who tries to get the best our of his players. Would have loved to see several guys play both ways! Shoulda happenened. He, no doubt, will be head coach at Central one day.

There are a lot of holes to fill next year. Quite frankly, it will be a long year. Mr. Funk will most definitely have to run for his life next year. This group we are losing will be sorely missed next year.

Hellcat, you are now my best friend! I said all this stuff early in the year and got roasted for being a central hater! Everything you say is true and if someone says anything different then they are just trying to keep graces with the coaching staff so they can continue going in the lockeroom and sitting around like they they are apart of the staff!

Hellcat, you are now my best friend! I said all this stuff early in the year and got roasted for being a central hater! Everything you say is true and if someone says anything different then they are just trying to keep graces with the coaching staff so they can continue going in the lockeroom and sitting around like they they are apart of the staff![/quot

Isaw a lot of it too but kids read this board too and they definitely don't need to read it. Season is over so roast away. I just wanted to give a new coach a chance to work his plan and adjust as the season went. But that is all he wanted to do I guess..or did not not know any better. Blocking scheme was bad all and never any adjustments to it.

Have been hearing rumors that Mallory is gone? Said his wife is in graduate school and when she graduates this year, he will follow her to wherever she gets a job. If this is true, we start back over at square one. The hiring committee that hired him definitely does not be allowed to be on the board that hire the next coach! I am so sick of this happening to our boys at Central! Totally unfair to these kids who are sold propaganda by incoming coaches only to be let down at years end! Has anyone else heard this?

Yes I've heard this also, but who knows if he does leave they will just hand it over to braswell. And on scouts defense QBs make bad decisions when they are running for their lives, once again falls on mallory for not having some brass and taking some players from the defense to helps. Next year the o line may be better by sheer experience but 5 of the 6 were jv players at best this year. Nothing against them I feel that they did all they could they were just to young and weak to play 4a football this year. Everybody with a common sense football mind knows this.

Not arguing any of that at all. Pretty much what I was saying about qb. But carter is qb coach and qb has not showed any progress since his dad coached him. Would have been better off letting his dad coach him!

I don't blame any kid for short comings o line regressed too...every position did!!

Hey fish...better be carefull..last I checked..you son plays for carter in Baseball. ..and its no secret who you are and that your son throws submarine style....if you can coach qb's better..I'm sure carter will loan you a whistle. Until then ALL YOU WANNA COACHES ON HERE NEED TO SHUT THE heck UP..

Not quite....My son has not played baseball since he was 11.

And big guy. Pot calling kettle black aren't you?? If I remember correctly you were all over Allen last year too! So looks like we all can flame a few coaches until he is one of your buddies..

I will apologize for saying something about a kid however. I should not have done that and I apologize. I did not mean anything negative about Morgan. He gave it his all every game even when hurt and that is more than most would have and central may not have won a game without him.

Been awhile since I have been on but always enjoy mixing it up with you guys. First let me say congrats to the Pounders on the season and making it to the playoffs. This program means a lot to me and I'm always excited to see them do well. With the coaching carasel(scheme changes/terminology changes/ the time it takes to learn the kids your working) winning 6 games in the first year is to commended. Second it may be rumor but to follow up on a prior comment the coaches wife supposedly has a job offer out of state so it may turn out that Central has hired another one and done coach, time will tell, I hope not for the kids sake. Third, if it turns out that this is the case and a new coach has to be hired the school board needs to take the lead on the hiring process and take it out of Finleys hands. Great Principal, just not to good at hiring football coaches. Fourth, somebody mentioned just turning it over to the defensive coordinator if infact a new head coach has to be hired, I guess this is a possibility due to all accounts he did a fantastic job for the most part in his first year with the program, the problem with this idea maybe that Findley has said in years past that he wants his head coach in the building full time, is the DC a teacher in the building? Curious to see how all this plays out.