Carter county ball

tootiedwc

You are correct dog truth. It's really hard to duplicate defenses like that In East Tennessee. Crocket may be the only team with that type of athleticism. We will play them in second rd of Hardee's classic if we beat north. The loss against a very good east team came as the second game in 3 hrs and without the football players. Just gotta be able to pass the ball and get better shots. We have a couple that can get shots whenever they want em.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are looking good. Currently have 3 wins ( Jellico, Tennessee High, Chuckey Doak) and 1 loss ( Sullivan East). I heard we go about 12 deep this year and like to press and push the ball up the floor.  I still say if we want to compete in Murfreesboro against the likes of Memphis Mitchell and Union City that we need to be able to handle a high pressure man to man defense and be able to get the ball inside to Valentine. Last year we had a tough time handling that high pressure man to man. We just don't see that type of pressure here in East Tennessee but somehow we have got to get better at that in order to complete with the West Tennessee single a teams. JMO.

IMO, High pressure man-to-man wasn't the problem.....Either of our guards could handle a man-up D...Mitchell ran the fastest double and triple traps on our guards that I had ever seen....I dare say there wasn't a set of guards at the boro that could have handled that much better! Just needed to watch the next game against Meigs to believe that. Mitchell could have played with, maybe even beat any team down there.

I shared the same hotel with Mitchell and clearly heard  their game plan (while pretending to watch TV in the lounge :ph34r:). STOP McClain and Jones...And they did! Heck, their subs were just as fast and even bigger than their starters!

Stopping Valentine wasn't the priority as you could tell. I mean they had 6'8 and 6'7 playing a high-zone D and he had like 20 points or more. What Valentine didn't have, because of foul trouble, was help on the blocks....He will be a LOAD for anyone to stop in the paint this season.

The Mitchell coach and his staff are very intelligent and they were fun to watch!

The next day, at the hotel, those coaches came up to me after learning who I was...They had high praise for the way our boys played as a team and the way we stuck with them...But I said exactly as you did, "Men, we just dont face that type of speed and pressure, during the season, that would have had us prepared for you".

Jones was a sophomore (1st year playing since 8th grade) and no doubt learned a lot about the boro...As did Valentine and the others...If we get there again, we will most likely see Mitchell again...But I feel Smith will have these boys more prepared for the task at hand.

12 deep is, well, deep!

IMO, High pressure man-to-man wasn't the problem.....Either of our guards could handle a man-up D...Mitchell ran the fastest double and triple traps on our guards that I had ever seen....I dare say there wasn't a set of guards at the boro that could have handled that much better! Just needed to watch the next game against Meigs to believe that. Mitchell could have played with, maybe even beat any team down there.

I shared the same hotel with Mitchell and clearly heard  their game plan (while pretending to watch TV in the lounge :ph34r:). STOP McClain and Jones...And they did! Heck, their subs were just as fast and even bigger than their starters!

Stopping Valentine wasn't the priority as you could tell. I mean they had 6'8 and 6'7 playing a high-zone D and he had like 20 points or more. What Valentine didn't have, because of foul trouble, was help on the blocks....He will be a LOAD for anyone to stop in the paint this season.

The Mitchell coach and his staff are very intelligent and they were fun to watch!

The next day, at the hotel, those coaches came up to me after learning who I was...They had high praise for the way our boys played as a team and the way we stuck with them...But I said exactly as you did, "Men, we just dont face that type of speed and pressure, during the season, that would have had us prepared for you".

Jones was a sophomore (1st year playing since 8th grade) and no doubt learned a lot about the boro...As did Valentine and the others...If we get there again, we will most likely see Mitchell again...But I feel Smith will have these boys more prepared for the task at hand.

12 deep is, well, deep!

Good assessment Uknoit. I have the Mitchell game recorded and what I have noticed was plays like Bulldog for example, Mitchell had definitely scouted. When we tried to do the dribble pick and roll, Mitchell would send someone on the back side and get the steal. It may have looked like a trap, but they would send two or three against our dribble offense. JMO, I wish we had more crisp passing and send players off of screens to get them open for their shots. It seemed like there was too much dribbling and not enough moving without the basketball. I do want to make it clear that I am NOT bashing the basketball team or coaches. I think they do an awesome job. I feel we are fortunate to have the coaches we do. I just wish we had more motion involved in our man to man offenses. It is difficult to trap if all 5 players are moving and not standing. Goodpasture handled Mitchell's pressure pretty well, but they had crisp passing in their man to man offense.

Edited by dogtruth

Good assessment Uknoit. I have the Mitchell game recorded and what I have noticed was plays like Bulldog for example, Mitchell had definitely scouted. When we tried to do the dribble pick and roll, Mitchell would send someone on the back side and get the steal. It may have looked like a trap, but they would send two or three against our dribble offense. JMO, I wish we had more crisp passing and send players off of screens to get them open for their shots. It seemed like there was too much dribbling and not enough moving without the basketball. I do want to make it clear that I am NOT bashing the basketball team or coaches. I think they do an awesome job. I feel we are fortunate to have the coaches we do. I just wish we had more motion involved in our man to man offenses. It is difficult to trap if all 5 players are moving and not standing. Goodpasture handled Mitchell's pressure pretty well, but they had crisp passing in their man to man offense.

Good crisp passing and moving without the ball is what makesgood teams great. Run backdoor cuts constantly. If you move the ball well enough,you'll get easy shots. Dribbling is what you do when you have no other options. Its an easy concept but very difficult to perfect. Prinston used to be a fun team to watch.

Good crisp passing and moving without the ball is what makesgood teams great. Run backdoor cuts constantly. If you move the ball well enough,you'll get easy shots. Dribbling is what you do when you have no other options. Its an easy concept but very difficult to perfect. Prinston used to be a fun team to watch.

I would say moving without the ball has been stressed ever since that Mitchell game...The dribbling kept us in the that game, no open threats may have cost that game...But men, can't take anything away from Mitchell, they were VERY good