Wayne County Wildcats (2015 Edition)

wildcatalumni

thats what im hearing.......who will be the new head coach and qb?????

Rumors are soaring more than ever, and there's been a lot of them every year but this year the rumor seems to be looking true. I will be as sick as anybody if Coach Rice and his son leave but there's nothing anybody can do about it except get behind and support whoever takes over and keep Wayne County football rolling! One thing WC has going for it is that former head coach Crews is still on board and I hope Coach Pierce comes around and helps, he is a head coach caliber coach himself and there's several other guys in the system that are capable of carrying this team. It will sting but this is still Wayne County! Go Cats!!

I just don't know what to think about this possible change. Leaving a small town where everyone knows u to a larger town where ur just a face is a big jump. I know its a great opportunity but sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's just spray painted that will eventually fade away. Having said that, and they do leave, the cupboard isn't empty. Whoever takes over will have some very competitive teams for the next several years. Spring practices

have been going well with some kids doing some good things. Looking forward to the scrimmage next week and the fall.

I just don't know what to think about this possible change. Leaving a small town where everyone knows u to a larger town where ur just a face is a big jump. I know its a great opportunity but sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It's just spray painted that will eventually fade away. Having said that, and they do leave, the cupboard isn't empty. Whoever takes over will have some very competitive teams for the next several years. Spring practices

have been going well with some kids doing some good things. Looking forward to the scrimmage next week and the fall.

Very well said.....WC will be fine either way....just another curve ball life throws us....wish the best for everyone involved...either way

ditto

Rice is leaving to take the Offensive Cord/Assistant Coach job @ powerhouse 5A Oakland HS, located in Murfreesboro. Coach is not getting any younger hes been coaching close to 30 years now and is right around 50 yrs old. He deserves this! I hate to see him leave he means the world to this community but he is onlu doing what is best for himself and his boy. Preston wants to go because of the chance to compete at a higher level and the fact that Oakland has 2 or 3 D1 players every yr and around half dozen more sign at smaller colleges. Rick, Preston and his mother went and watched Oakland practice one day i believe last week and they offered him a HUGE amount of money to take the job and Preston has a Ver Legit shot to start this yr as a Junior and he and his dad believe he will. My source is 100% FIRM. It's a done deal guys. They have no idea who will take his place as HC. my guess? Crews or Derek Willis(Middle school FB coach).

Rice is leaving to take the Offensive Cord/Assistant Coach job @ powerhouse 5A Oakland HS, located in Murfreesboro. Coach is not getting any younger hes been coaching close to 30 years now and is right around 50 yrs old. He deserves this! I hate to see him leave he means the world to this community but he is onlu doing what is best for himself and his boy. Preston wants to go because of the chance to compete at a higher level and the fact that Oakland has 2 or 3 D1 players every yr and around half dozen more sign at smaller colleges. Rick, Preston and his mother went and watched Oakland practice one day i believe last week and they offered him a HUGE amount of money to take the job and Preston has a Ver Legit shot to start this yr as a Junior and he and his dad believe he will. My source is 100% FIRM. It's a done deal guys. They have no idea who will take his place as HC. my guess? Crews or Derek Willis(Middle school FB coach).

Crew would be good atthis point..who will fill in at qb

I bet when coach rice laid down at night there's been several lumps to develope in his throat, man i bet this was tough,pretty sure this was a very difficult decision for he and his family ! If I'm correct he will be joining another former 1a state champ coach at trousdale co in kreasy, I wish these guys the best in the higher classification ! I know it's a sad time in Waynesboro but cheer the guy on,, he help bring home the 1st gold ball to WC, hope he does the same at Oakland ! Good luck to WC and coach rice on this transition

I have but ONE source and i can promise without a shadow of a doubt tht he will be leaving and his announcement will likely come Friday or mid next week at the latest. I have been told the money and why the move makes sense for he and Preston. Oakland is a powerhouse and has scouts their all the time, D1 scouts. They lost there big QB and have 2 rising SRs competing right now for the starting spot. They feel confident Preston will come in and start.

To the other guys post about him practicing still...well what would you expect him to do sit out? He still needs the reps. If Rice goes public with this right now b4 thr school yr is over it would be a nightmare for Preston and himself...think ab it. Alot of ppl are going to be mad and pissed at them but hes only doing it to give his son a better chance at a scholarship at a bigger school and for him moving from a head coach at a 1A school to Off cord/Asst Head coach at a 5A school is a MAJOR stepup. Truth is he could have made the move to a bigger school a decade ago but stayd loyal to Waynesboro. Hes 50 its time for him to explore other opportunities. I for one am just proud as heck of him and hope he does well and can come home in 10-12 years and retire. People should not be mad at the man. Oakland extended the offer to him and its WAYYY more money than what hes making here plus he dont got to mow the field and be a groundskeeper up their. He gave us 20+ years at WCHS and alot of great memories.