Hampton/Cloudland

Did y'all see Fritz' weekly cloumn this week? Pretty good analysis of why Maryville is so good year after year (looks like he got it from a Knoxville Sports Writer).

Readers Digest condensed version:

40 percent (coaching staff): "Most ex-head coaches with a ton of knowledge."

25 percent (community support/feeder programs): "the community supports the younger programs and makes sure they are done the right way".

20 percent (skilled athletes): "Maryville doesn’t overwhelm opponents with a parade of Division I athletes". Side Note: This one surprised me but I looked up MHS roster.... they don't have tons of "Bigs" like you think and haven't sent as many to D1 as you'd think.

15 percent (tradition): "They grow up in an environment where they expect to win championships"

Honestly..... how do you think Hampton and Cloudland relate to these

Edited by FormerCteamPresident

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did y'all see Fritz' weekly cloumn this week? Pretty good analysis of why Maryville is so good year after year (looks like he got it from a Knoxville Sports Writer).

Cloudland has pretty much always outdone Hampton as far as the youth teams. Hardly any of the past few Hampton teams were worth a lick in JR high. Neither of us can match the Coaching staff of a Maryville Neither of us are able to match the work ethic because of sheer #s. On the UC thread they were talking about the resent success and one was mandatory workouts during the summer, they were dressing 80 kids and the #s went way down, when you dress 40 and they go way down,you've got troubles. Iwish the 2 schools were combined,we would still be in 2a with alot more kids to work with, if you had to work harder to get playing time,things would get better in a hurry.

25 percent (community support/feeder programs): "the community supports the younger programs and makes sure they are done the right way".

20 percent (skilled athletes): "Maryville doesn’t overwhelm opponents with a parade of Division I athletes". Side Note: This one surprised me but I looked up MHS roster.... they don't have tons of "Bigs" like you think and haven't sent as many to D1 as you'd think.

15 percent (tradition): "They grow up in an environment where they expect to win championships"

Honestly..... how do you think Hampton and Cloudland relate to these.

While I'm totally against combining all 4 county schools, I would be open to combining cloudland and Hampton. For one thing, it would still be a small school with small town football. It would be less likely to be taken over by one family. Academic wise, I don't see how it could hurt anyone and we would be a dang and I mean dang good football team. No doubt in my mind, we would contend for state titles in all sports.

While I'm totally against combining all 4 county schools, I would be open to combining cloudland and Hampton. For one thing, it would still be a small school with small town football. It would be less likely to be taken over by one family. Academic wise, I don't see how it could hurt anyone and we would be a dang and I mean dang good football team. No doubt in my mind, we would contend for state titles in all sports.

Yeah in this new system we would be 2a, we would dominate our region.State titles wouldn't be outta the question.

East Carter High!!! You wouldn't be 2a long. Folks see a new high school with new facilities there would be kids from Unaka and Elizabethton fighting to get in there...especially if you made a couple runs or possibly won a title!

Honestly..... how do you think Hampton and Cloudland relate to these.

Maryville used to win because of coaching and talent. They now have built enough tradition to where they still win because of coaching and talent but now they DOMINATE because of tradition , and a winning culture. I personally think community support and $$$ plays a bigger role than the % you have up there too. Nice facilities and people who are willing to make their kids WORK at something and expect something better than mediocre means a ton!

We would probably be named Appalachia. I still wouldn't leave elizabethton if I was there. That place is set up pretty sweet. I'm sure a lot of creekers and hv folks would be pounding on the door because we would be a dominant force in all athletics. Imagine getting your players from 2 youth club feeders. That's a lot of kids learning the game of football.

We would probably be named Appalachia. I still wouldn't leave elizabethton if I was there. That place is set up pretty sweet. I'm sure a lot of creekers and hv folks would be pounding on the door because we would be a dominant force in all athletics. Imagine getting your players from 2 youth club feeders. That's a lot of kids learning the game of football.

I agree. I still say if you'd give me CLoudland and Hampton THIS YEAR with Coach Lunsford I'd play anybody in 2A and 3A. May not beat Alcoa but we'd scare the pants off them!!!!!

If things work out like I think its going to, don't laugh, we may have the best overall backfield in Carter Co history next season. Gotta put 20 pounds of muscle on a couple of um and the others just need to build more strength and speed. Its an absolute MONSTER in the makings.

Not laughing about that at all..Agree totally..How's the line play shaping up..losing a couple big boys up front.

Not laughing about that at all..Agree totally..How's the line play shaping up..losing a couple big boys up front.

Yeah we lose some size but next years line should be more atheletic as a whole. If they have HALF the comittment that our skill positions will posess, watch out. Were gonna have some great senior leadership.

If things work out like I think its going to, don't laugh, we may have the best overall backfield in Carter Co history next season. Gotta put 20 pounds of muscle on a couple of um and the others just need to build more strength and speed. Its an absolute MONSTER in the makings.[/quote It could happen but I still say there will never be another Watson/Taylor combination. That's some tall cotton