PA announcing rule change comes down from TSSAA for 2014 -15

TopDawg83

Can anyone tell me why the TSSAA has made it a rule this year that PA announcers can no longer say anything during live ball situation? Was informed by several refs last week this was a fact. An example of what can't happen since this rule went into effect: John Doe has break away layup and clock would still be running after shot. PA can no longer state that the basket was scored by John Doe, no matter if it was a layup, 3pt, or reverse slam. This has taken the "home announcer"out of the game. wish i knew what the "real" reason for this decision was? I would be interested in hearing from everyone on this especially announcers and coaches. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone tell me why the TSSAA has made it a rule this year that PA announcers can no longer say anything during live ball situation? Was informed by several refs last week this was a fact. An example of what can't happen since this rule went into effect: John Doe has break away layup and clock would still be running after shot. PA can no longer state that the basket was scored by John Doe, no matter if it was a layup, 3pt, or reverse slam. This has taken the "home announcer"out of the game. wish i knew what the "real" reason for this decision was? I would be interested in hearing from everyone on this especially announcers and coaches. 

I was told recently by one of our boosters that he had heard that "p.a. announcing" was a point of emphasis this year, but he didn't tell me a lot of specifics.  I do know that we have had one team in our district (Knoxville area) where the p.a. announcer was completely "over the top."  Trying to draw attention to himself rather than do his job, which is to simply announce the game.  From experience, it is difficult sometimes to not show more enthusiasm during the game for the home team's made baskets than it is for the visitors.  And maybe that's ok?  I've certainly been guilty of doing it myself.

I am ok with the "home court advantage" of playing run-out music and announcing your team as they take the floor, and putting more emphasis into the introduction of the home team starting line-up, but I do believe there is a "thin line" the p.a. person needs to be careful of crossing during the actual game itself.  I think it is important that the p.a. person realizes that he/she is not a radio/tv play-by-play person.  

I also believe that when your school is hosting a district or regional tournament, that all teams should be treated equally, even during the pre-game.  That's just me though ...

I announced for 20+ years before having to give it up due to job relocation. I was always tactful while i was on the mic whether i was at home, announcing a tournament,or even announcing for a district foe at their place for sub-state. In my early years I made the mistake of not being tactful and hurt several people with my comment after a tournament game. I learned my lesson and from then on considered announcing as my "profession" and was nothing but professional no matter who i was announcing for. Don't misunderstand, while i was at our place I WAS the home announcer and wanted to keep my crowd fired up. But still never used it as a radio broadcast play by play guy would. I knew there was a line to not cross. Its a shame everyone didn't see it that way. Games will be more boring for the fans IMO.  

i think the bad announcers outweigh the good ones and while some will have to give it up in the end it will make for a better experience ive done announcing before and was always respecful but some people are completely over the top as Gov mentioned the best announcers are like the best referees you dont notice that theyre there odds are if youre paying attention to the pa guy then theyre in it for themselves

TopDawg,

Good advice.  Sometimes you don't even realize it.  At one of our home football games this year, I had an acquaintance who was a fan of the opposing team, walk out of the stadium past the press box staring daggers at me.  Honestly, I was / am not aware of how my announcing bothered him, but obviously it did.

As I think about it, I have probably heard more "homer" P.A. announcers at football games than I have basketball games.  How about you?

Govman, you're probably right. Could be that in football the PA guys think since it is out doors then they have to scream and yell to be heard. When in fact usually the visitors can't make out a word they are saying...just a bunch of yelling and screaming. It always blew me away when the visiting fans would stop by the table and compliment me on the job i did on the mic (even if their team lost). I don't like mono-tone guys and i don't like screamers or "mic-eaters" if you know what i mean. There truly is a THIN line between good and obnoxious. Oh yeah I use to do football too!

This is really interesting. Not sure what the rule is, but I hope the TSSAA doesn't take all the fun out of games because a few announcers are over the top.

I announced games for 8 years but stopped last year. I was absolutely a homer, but I was also respectful to other teams. I always found out how to pronounce all visiting players names, never, ever talked during free throws, didn't do play-by-play, etc.

BUT, I definitely put more emphasis on my team's scoring. I also played music for our school and I played it loud. I checked with my coaches to make sure it wasn't too loud, but it was loud. I think that is home court advantage and expected. If our home student section is a lot bigger than the visitors, are they going to tell them not to cheer so loud? What about the schools with pep bands? Don't let all of your tubas play - it's too loud. Crazy.

Two things: I routinely had visiting fans come up and make requests for music because I played a lot of 80s funk and rock. It was fun. One time a lady came up and asked why didn't I announce her team's scores as enthusiastically as my team's? I laughed and said "because YOUR team isn't MY team." She laughed and walked off.

Typical, TSSAA. If there is a problem, address it with those creating the problem. Don't penalize everyone. They are going to ruin fun high school game atmospheres about the same way they've just about ruined everything else.

Too bad.

Does this rule apply in football as well? If so it is not being policed. The announcer at St. George's last week thought he was on ESPN. Very slanted toward his hometeam, calling out women as they entered the stands. When he finally called for a show of sportsmanship by the home fans toward the visiting team, he got nearly no support. No surprise since he had been the absolute definition of a homer all night. Can't say I like not being able to announce the fouls, baskets, substitutions. But the idiots always mess it up for everyone else.