PA announcing rule change comes down from TSSAA for 2014 -15

TopDawg83

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really interesting. Not sure what the rule is, but I hope the TSSAA doesn't take all the fun out of games because a few announcers are over the top.

I announced games for 8 years but stopped last year. I was absolutely a homer, but I was also respectful to other teams. I always found out how to pronounce all visiting players names, never, ever talked during free throws, didn't do play-by-play, etc.

BUT, I definitely put more emphasis on my team's scoring. I also played music for our school and I played it loud. I checked with my coaches to make sure it wasn't too loud, but it was loud. I think that is home court advantage and expected. If our home student section is a lot bigger than the visitors, are they going to tell them not to cheer so loud? What about the schools with pep bands? Don't let all of your tubas play - it's too loud. Crazy.

Two things: I routinely had visiting fans come up and make requests for music because I played a lot of 80s funk and rock. It was fun. One time a lady came up and asked why didn't I announce her team's scores as enthusiastically as my team's? I laughed and said "because YOUR team isn't MY team." She laughed and walked off.

Typical, TSSAA. If there is a problem, address it with those creating the problem. Don't penalize everyone. They are going to ruin fun high school game atmospheres about the same way they've just about ruined everything else.

Too bad.

the announcers should never be part of a home court advantage its about the kids the argument about the student sections and pep band doesnt really apply here. announcers shouldnt show favoritism they should be even. i realize that a lot of people put in time and effort to do it, but when it turns from 'look what they did' into 'look what i did' thats where you have a problem. i like the new rules and i hope they enforce them. theres too many people who think theyre the center of the show when it should be about the players

the announcers should never be part of a home court advantage its about the kids the argument about the student sections and pep band doesnt really apply here. announcers shouldnt show favoritism they should be even. i realize that a lot of people put in time and effort to do it, but when it turns from 'look what they did' into 'look what i did' thats where you have a problem. i like the new rules and i hope they enforce them. theres too many people who think theyre the center of the show when it should be about the players

Why should announcers not be a part of home court advantage? It doesn't have to be "all about the announcer" to be part if the home court advantage.

Some announcers make it fun. Some make it unbearable. Some make it as interesting as watching paint dry. The student sections and band analogies absolutely apply. They aren't on the floor. They add to the experience. So does/can a good PA announcer.

But, I respect your opinion. Just expressing mine.

I agree this rule is ridiculous. Hearing the anouncer announces a big shot dont just get the croud into it but it feeds the players as well not to mention its part of a great atmosphere. Heck lets just take it out of college ball too then. Its part of the game for years and to do away with it is not right. Lets take you the state tournament; what is the atmosphere going to be like without one there; cause if the schools dont have them then its only fair to get rid of them in the state tournament as well.

Is this a TSSAA rule or a NFHS rule? I could no find anything on the TSSAA web site.

A lot of times, this will originate with NFHS and gets filtered down to the states (unless your Texas, who uses NCAA rules). Points of emphasis are typically printed in the rulebooks as they are published each year.

The TSSAA should make Janitors a point of emphasis. How many dirty gym floors have you seen that look like skating rinks. Also, can HS bathrooms be any nastier? C'mon TSSAA get with it, let's have you emphasizing what matters. Also, every school should have ball boys to wipe up sweat, how many games in HS have you seen a kid hit the floor and leave Lake Michigan and the only thing done is refs and players trying to smear it out with tennis shoes. Yea right.......

PA Announcers bother me very little in comparison to things that actually affect a game.