Oak Ridge 2015

SweetScience

Oak Ridge just dont have the enrollment they use to.That being said they still have a lot of talent and will win the big one soon.One real bad coach cost us one and really set the program back.But is Darel going to be allowed to play next year.I was told he turns 19 this Dec which would mean he cant play next year.

Somebody must have felt a little pressure ORK.

No pressure, just had to get the home and away right so both teams had 5. It takes a little negotiating around the region to make sure everyone gets 5. Ask the falcons, we gave them a home game to help them and another team traded us to make sure we could get OR. So there was never any pressure, we have always wanted to play that game, and are very excited to get to play the state champion falcons, which we haven't backed away from either. The Fulton games in the early to mid 2000s were very exciting. Maybe , the most exciting games in Maverick history.

Why has Oak Ridge not been a factor for so long. In the 80's and 90's they were one of the top teams in the state most years. But, correct me if I am wrong they haven't been the same for 15 or so years. Why? Have additional schools opened up in their area that have impacted their talent level? That's what happened with Germantown High School here in Suburban Memphis. They too were widely considered one of the top teams in the state on a yearly basis dating back all the way to the early 1980's. But two additional Schools have opened in their general area thus splitting their talent base 3 ways (Houston High School, Southwind High School). Another factor is that the private schools in Memphis have got a ton more serious about athletics and have recruited area middle schools much more than they did in the past. One of the not so good side effects of  the "Blind Side" Movie. All Private schools here are looking for the next "Michael Oher" type athlete in the public school sector. It's enough to make you vomit, going to 5th grade football games and seeing staff members from all of the area private schools salavating over these kids and promising their parents or guardians the world. 

Well one of the reasons like STILLNUM1 said is that enrollment is down 200+ students since those days, Rob. Oak Ridge as a city is a lot older than it used to be in terms of kids/ to grown up ratio. OR is full of retired folks and I can't help but think that their being nothing to do in this city for kids hinders young couples from moving here along with it being full of older folks. Another reason is that one of the big plants K-25 closed down not too awfully long ago, which took away a lot of jobs in the OR area. Another reason I tend to believe is the dominance of Maryville in the area. Used to be those young couples were moving into OR now they move into Maryville. Maryville wasn't a power like they are now in the 80's and 90's until very late in the 90's. Couple all of those things together and it has made for much tougher sledding for the Cats. Barring all of that though we still have been a very solid program. Went to the state finals in 2005 and lost by 7. Could say we should've won that game all you want, but we didn't. Definitely should've though we had the talent to, but the staff just wasn't up to par. We played Maryville in the semi's in 2010 and lost 38-21. That game was close until the end. We played Maryville in 2012 in the Q-Finals at their house and lost 35-25. That game was 25-25 in the 4th Quarter. So yeah we haven't been as great as we once were, but still nothing to snuff at the past 10 years or so. Same could be said about DB, Gallatin, Lincoln County, and Knox Central. All former powerhouses who have fallen on hard times for different reasons. It all goes in cycles. It happens to the best of them eventually. Through all of that we have still remained a very respectable program.

Edited by SweetScience

I hope we find some speed on offense next year. Lack of speed in 2014 was a problem that I tried to tell you all about but nobody would listen. I was right

The speed you're looking for will be there in the next 3-4 years with Kwayu's son and Tray Jackson coming up from Robertsville. Both of them probably could've beaten either of our RB's in the 40 YD dash in the 8th grade.

The speed you're looking for will be there in the next 3-4 years with Kwayu's son and Tray Jackson coming up from Robertsville. Both of them probably could've beaten either of our RB's in the 40 YD dash in the 8th grade.

I agree but the problem is that they're two years away. We honestly had only one fast weapon on offense...#5. All other weapons were average speed and incapable of breaking a long play.