UNION CITY 2015

JDOGG80

Without a change of residency, no...They would have to sit out a calendar year...And if I remember correctly, the change of residency has to be more than a set number of miles...

No set # of miles, 2 doors down would work. Doubt it really maters as I'm sure they get the kids before high school. UC don't have very much in common with most 1a schools. They will remain one of the best year after year. Good coaching and plenty of talent, just a great situation.

No set # of miles, 2 doors down would work. Doubt it really maters as I'm sure they get the kids before high school. UC don't have very much in common with most 1a schools. They will remain one of the best year after year. Good coaching and plenty of talent, just a great situation.

That doesn't constitute a "bona fide change of residency".....

Q:How are the words "change of residence" to be interpreted  ?

A:As moving from one community to another so as to justify a change of schools. Moving across the street or a few blocks away from the former residence, or similar moves cannot be accepted as justifying a transfer to another school. T.S.S.A.A does not recognize a "dual" residence (maintaining two homes, apartments, etc..)

Now if a kid attends one of the 4 OCC feeder schools through 8th grade and wants to enroll in the city school entering 9th grade the student wouldn't have any restrictions and would be eligible immediately....

That doesn't constitute a "bona fide change of residency".....

Q:How are the words "change of residence" to be interpreted  ?

A:As moving from one community to another so as to justify a change of schools. Moving across the street or a few blocks away from the former residence, or similar moves cannot be accepted as justifying a transfer to another school. T.S.S.A.A does not recognize a "dual" residence (maintaining two homes, apartments, etc..)

Now if a kid attends one of the 4 OCC feeder schools through 8th grade and wants to enroll in the city school entering 9th grade the student wouldn't have any restrictions and would be eligible immediately....

Why don't everyone in the OCC feeder schools send their kids to UC.  people on here say the education is better and the athletics speak for themselves. Could it be that UC picks and chooses why they let in. We have a city school in our County also, they want students that benefit their school in some capacity. Some of the best athletes are transferring from the county schools in 3rd or 4th grade. Its called birds of a feather. They don't let just anyone in, only the one's that can benefit the school. Its not a bad thing that parents do this for the kids,its just a huge advantage over other schools.

Why don't everyone in the OCC feeder schools send their kids to UC. people on here say the education is better and the athletics speak for themselves. Could it be that UC picks and chooses why they let in. We have a city school in our County also, they want students that benefit their school in some capacity. Some of the best athletes are transferring from the county schools in 3rd or 4th grade. Its called birds of a feather. They don't let just anyone in, only the one's that can benefit the school. Its not a bad thing that parents do this for the kids,its just a huge advantage over other schools.

Its been this way for years the parents just want there children to go to central. It was that way when I went to school and we were one of the smallest 2A schools with just over 400 and central had over 1000. I have been told by a friend that the academics at central are easier; they dont challenge you a whole lot. There have been some bad things that I have been told about like a few years ago a friend of mine had a son go to central and allowed smocking on campus. The old head football coach would invite players to his house for a beer; that coach is no longer there. So sounds to me they have some freedom over there so that could be another reason. And all these are facts cause I heard them from his sons mouth.

Its been this way for years the parents just want there children to go to central. It was that way when I went to school and we were one of the smallest 2A schools with just over 400 and central had over 1000. I have been told by a friend that the academics at central are easier; they dont challenge you a whole lot. There have been some bad things that I have been told about like a few years ago a friend of mine had a son go to central and allowed smocking on campus. The old head football coach would invite players to his house for a beer; that coach is no longer there. So sounds to me they have some freedom over there so that could be another reason. And all these are facts cause I heard them from his sons mouth.

race also is a major factor. Union city has more blacks.
  • Upvote 1

Why don't everyone in the OCC feeder schools send their kids to UC.  people on here say the education is better and the athletics speak for themselves. Could it be that UC picks and chooses why they let in. We have a city school in our County also, they want students that benefit their school in some capacity. Some of the best athletes are transferring from the county schools in 3rd or 4th grade. Its called birds of a feather. They don't let just anyone in, only the one's that can benefit the school. Its not a bad thing that parents do this for the kids,its just a huge advantage over other schools.

[When kids from the county's grammar schools change to UC, it's not kids who live in the county coming to town, it's kids who live in the city and went to the county are coming back home. I tried to explain this in an earlier post. Parents are finally realizing that a good education is more important than the racial makeup of the school. It's also worth noting that a student can change from either system to the other before the normal enrollment date for that year. A transfer after that date requires the approval of both superintendents. But for any transfer of a high school student the TSSAA's 1 year ban on sports participation still applies if there is not a change of residence. Does it seem fair to you that a kid who lives a few blocks from a school can enroll in that school and have to sit out a year to play sports.

We didn't like it when our school dropped from around 600 kids to a low of 250 but we had to live with it. It's slowing building back now we'll be 2a soon enough. If any of you who have been critical of us will contact me and come to UC, I'll buy you a nice lunch and show you what we've had to put up with. I'll even take you to Lake County for some good catfish. In the meantime please a little more tolerant of our situation. Thanks. /quote]