Ease up on the refs

Indian

Some Folks try their best to get it right I am sure. But honestly they should be made to have a some kind of small cash bond set aside where they can be fined against if after review of the tape it is clearly a bad call. Then the bond has to be renewed before they can officiate anymore games. Some guys just don't need to be refs. They come in with a "I'm the man " attitude and it's all down hill from there. I am a firm believer there has to be consequences for this to improve. Thinking you see something and knowing you see something is different. Man open a business to teach folks how to spot the ball he would make a mint.

I think what we see is there are "teams" of refs. Meaning, the better refs stick together and travel together always. So outside of the good groups, you get the hand me downs so to speak. Sometimes the head ref (white hat) acted like he knew what was going on, but no one else did. He isn't going to overturn every single bad call. They will go with the flow as long as no one says anything. So what I am saying is let's say there are 1000 refs across the state. I am thinking there may be only 1/3 of them that know what they are doing. Problem is they stick together instead of splitting up evenly and working any game possible. Be honest, who do you think will get the better refs?? SP vs Whitwell or Mccallie vs Baylor?

I think what we see is there are "teams" of refs. Meaning, the better refs stick together and travel together always. So outside of the good groups, you get the hand me downs so to speak. Sometimes the head ref (white hat) acted like he knew what was going on, but no one else did. He isn't going to overturn every single bad call. They will go with the flow as long as no one says anything. So what I am saying is let's say there are 1000 refs across the state. I am thinking there may be only 1/3 of them that know what they are doing. Problem is they stick together instead of splitting up evenly and working any game possible. Be honest, who do you think will get the better refs?? SP vs Whitwell or Mccallie vs Baylor?

According to a couple of the officials I have asked about teams they swear they are assigned individually each week. I have to admit I have seen the same officials two nor more times in a season but never the same crew. Totally agree with the post about so called better crews getting better games competition and importance.

Look at the bright side of this...just about all the games will be officiated for free.

Who determines if they did a good job. Half the one's we get don't even know a legal formation. We get penalties all the time because the refs don't know the rules. We had a game last year and got called for to many on the field,the coach tried his best to get the nuts to count um and even went to the extreme of counting for um. Only thing that come out of it was a warning against the coach. They knew they were wrong but was ready to penalize us 15 yards because because of their ignorance.We get some dozzies.

Real words from refs......coach says "that has to be intentional grounding, there isn't an eligible receiver on this side of the field" Ref says " coach how is he supposed to throw it near a receiver while he is being tackled?" Coach scratches head and wonders if ref has ever even watched football???

Many of em don't know the basic rules and those are the first ones to flag coaches for arguing calls.

At least we aint dealing with basketball officials..those guys are sensitive. Ive seen more technicals handed out this year than ever for simply getting loud and facial expressions.

Real words from refs......coach says "that has to be intentional grounding, there isn't an eligible receiver on this side of the field" Ref says " coach how is he supposed to throw it near a receiver while he is being tackled?" Coach scratches head and wonders if ref has ever even watched football???

Many of em don't know the basic rules and those are the first ones to flag coaches for arguing calls.

At least we aint dealing with basketball officials..those guys are sensitive. Ive seen more technicals handed out this year than ever for simply getting loud and facial expressions.

you have to watch bball refs. Their jurisdiction used to be Gym only, but now they can give out technicals in the parking lot.

Who determines if they did a good job. Half the one's we get don't even know a legal formation. We get penalties all the time because the refs don't know the rules. We had a game last year and got called for to many on the field,the coach tried his best to get the nuts to count um and even went to the extreme of counting for um. Only thing that come out of it was a warning against the coach. They knew they were wrong but was ready to penalize us 15 yards because because of their ignorance.We get some dozzies.

I remember during the Pirates side-saddle wing days, you could tell a ref that had never seen SP play.  The yellow flags came out on the first play as soon as the BB went side saddle.  The coach would explain it to them and everything would usually be ok after that. 

you have to watch bball refs. Their jurisdiction used to be Gym only, but now they can give out technicals in the parking lot.

Those guys have always been sensitive.  I remember Coach Brooks getting a technical up at Sale Creek for shouting at one of the Pirates across the floor.  A ref gave him a technical.  Coach asked him what he did and the ref gave him a second technical.  Coach then called him a chicken poop son of a belligerent female cur.  The ref didn't know what that meant, but he through Coach out of the game. 

Those guys have always been sensitive. I remember Coach Brooks getting a technical up at Sale Creek for shouting at one of the Pirates across the floor. A ref gave him a technical. Coach asked him what he did and the ref gave him a second technical. Coach then called him a chicken poop son of a belligerent female cur. The ref didn't know what that meant, but he through Coach out of the game.

sam brooks taught me how to shoot free throws when I was in the 7th grade. He was a great coach and a great person.
  • Upvote 1