All Star, or popularity contest

RedD

The TN all star game will take place without top players in the state, is this due to the selection process, the coaches that are coaching the teams or is it just down right a popularity contest? I would think that you would want the best the state has to offer not who the coaches think is their best player.

Edited by RedD

The TN all star game will take place without top players in the state, is this due to the selection process, the coaches that are coaching the teams or is it just down right a popularity contest? I would think that you would want the best the state has to offer not who the coaches think is their best player.

I'm assuming you are talking about the Tn/Ky border bowl?

There are certain situations that need to be considered when making sense of all star selection processes:

1) There are only 88 players selected throughout the entire state and 44 for each team in the E/W Game so there are limited roster spots to ensure that every athlete that gets selected gets to play and play more than just a few snaps.

2) The selection committee for this game are coaches and the few members of TACA that put rosters together.  So consider the fact that coaches are pre-occupied with their own teams first, and there is not much of a timeframe to put the rosters together.  My point being that certain players may get overlooked unless his own coach does a little campaigning to nominate his player.

3) Very few, but a handful of players choose not to participate in any all star games for independent reasons.  i.e. this year Dylan Jackson and Van Jefferson chose not to play because both are already committed to their respective college choices.  These all star games are a great showcase for some other guys who have not committed to get noticed.

Either way, we all know we can't have every deserving player in the state participate and is unfortunate for those guys.  It does say a lot about the quality and quantity of talent in our state now, but still does not take away from those players' accomplishments that did not get selected.  I think the overwhelming response from most people is that they like having a Tennessee-only all star game close to the conclusion of the football season as compared to the former TN-KY game that was played in May when most players were already headed off to college.

There are certain situations that need to be considered when making sense of all star selection processes:

1) There are only 88 players selected throughout the entire state and 44 for each team in the E/W Game so there are limited roster spots to ensure that every athlete that gets selected gets to play and play more than just a few snaps.

2) The selection committee for this game are coaches and the few members of TACA that put rosters together.  So consider the fact that coaches are pre-occupied with their own teams first, and there is not much of a timeframe to put the rosters together.  My point being that certain players may get overlooked unless his own coach does a little campaigning to nominate his player.

3) Very few, but a handful of players choose not to participate in any all star games for independent reasons.  i.e. this year Dylan Jackson and Van Jefferson chose not to play because both are already committed to their respective college choices.  These all star games are a great showcase for some other guys who have not committed to get noticed.

Either way, we all know we can't have every deserving player in the state participate and is unfortunate for those guys.  It does say a lot about the quality and quantity of talent in our state now, but still does not take away from those players' accomplishments that did not get selected.  I think the overwhelming response from most people is that they like having a Tennessee-only all star game close to the conclusion of the football season as compared to the former TN-KY game that was played in May when most players were already headed off to college.

Those are all great points but, when you have players that are at the top of their position and they don't get the chance it is ridiculous. 

Probably the best performance this past weekend was Nathan Cottrell at West.  Didn't see his name either.

He was listed as a fill in but now his name isn't even on that list, maybe someone decided  not play which opened a slot for him or maybe he ask for his name to be taken off, either way the system is flawed, most of these players are on this team because of who is coaching the teams and some are deserving but some of the others were out played at their position and will benefit from the selection process.

What does an all-star game give a recruiter that film can't?  One would have a hard time convincing me that you can get a solid assessment on a kid through an all-star game.  If the game is for recruiting purposes, it's a sad state of affairs that next level coaches are relying on an all-star game.  If the purpose is to show case the kids that played the best at their respective positions (even though they may not be SEC or ACC type kids) again, the system is flawed as RedD stated.