Whitehaven 'The Haven' Tigers 2015

kwc

Well the 2014 season has ended. Whitehaven finished the season losing to a very good Ravenwood team in the Semi-fianls at home by a score of 24-14. I know a lot of people were disappointed because they wanted the team to make it to the championship game. I, for one, am not one of those folks. I do like that fact that the expectations are now Championship game or bust. It's definately the standard that all programs aspire to. However, I don't ever want to discount the achievements that the 2014 team accomplished. Making it to the semi-finals is a great accomplishment. I give a great big kudos to the coaches, players, and parents for this season. I enjoyed going to the games and watching my ala mater compete and have a successful season going 13-1. We were one of four teams left and we had our chances.

To the seniors: Thank you gentlemen for a season well played. Thank you for the hard work and determination that you put in to make this season a success. Thank you for allowing me to come to the games each to cheer and yell my head off knowing that we always had a chance to win the game, and 13 out of 14 times, we did. I enjoyed this season and you were a major part. Thank you.

To the coaches: Thank you for your tireless efforts that you put into this job. Thank you for molding and shaping these young men. Thank you for teaching the the value of leadership, work ethic, teamwork, sportsmanship, humility, competitiveness, fairness, toughness, and dependableness. These young men learned valuable lessons that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. I believe it will make them all better men, husbands, and citizens. Thank you.

8th Annual Toyota East vs West All-Star Classic: (Dec. 12, 2014 @ Tenn. Tech.) T.C.C.A.

Congatulations to Coach Saulsberry for being selected as the HC of the West team in the 2014 Toyota East vs West Tennessee All-Star Classic Game. (West Roster) Congrats to  the Whitehaven OC, Coach Dillard, for being selected as the OC and QB coach. Congrats to QB Jordan Williams, WR Laderriel Ester, DT Donald Coefield, DT Myles Chalmers, DE Elijah Phipps for being selected to on the West Team's roster. Congrats to LB Elex Harris for being selected as an alternate.

2014 AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School Football All-Star Game: (Dec. 13, 2014 @ MUS)

Congrats to  DT Donald Coefield, and DE/OLB Joshua McMillion for being selected to play on the RED TEAM. (Rosters)

Whitehaven has a lot to look forward to for the 2015 season. I know the coaches are going to let them enjoy the holiday season with their families, but then it will be back to the grindstone before you know it.

The offense will lose three seniors ... WR Braylen Rochelle, WR Laderriel Ester, and QB Jordan Williams. The defense will lose five seniors ... DE/LB Josh McMillion, DE/LB/DL Elijah Phipps, MLB Elex Harris, DT Myles Chalmers, and CB Fydale Williams.

The QB postion will be the most critical. It will be interesting to see how this develops through the spring and going into the summer. The defense alternated others into the other positions all year. We played three others at the DT position throughout the year. We played two others at the DE position as well. I feel confident that we have those positions filled. I know we have others who have been competing all year that will be vying to get that now vacant CB position.

2015 looks to be promising. I'd like to get the input from others on what they think. I do love the idea that the entire OL will be back!  All right Whitehaven folks, let's get the conversation going.

Edited by kwc

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to coach Saulsberry, coach Dillard and to all of the coaches and players that represented the West Team. It seems that the Whitehaven guys had a blast at the Toyota East vs West Classic game. The West side won 28-16. (Box Scores) It seems that the Whitehaven guys represented in the Autozone Liberty Bowl All-Star game as well. I'm glad they had the experience.

From the Commercial Appeal

2014 AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School Football All-Star Game:

(Dec. 13, 2014 @ MUS)

Area's best show off skills at all-star football game

By:

John Varlas

preps_sun1_11053319_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Ridgeway’s Earl Harrison, who led the area in rushing this season, fumbles while being tackled by Westwood’s Prentiss Sumerall during the AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star Game. Harrison did rip off a 59-yard touchdown run early in the game.

The stars did what they do at Saturday's AutoZone Liberty Bowl High School All-Star game, presented by ARS/Conway Services and the Governor's Highway Safety Office.

Johnathan Johnson and Earl Harrison had big scoring plays. Cedric Crawford threw touchdown passes. Kristian Wilkerson caught touchdown passes.

As for Cameron Sanders of Christian Brothers, well he did what he always does too. Make plays.

Sanders, a defensive back who committed to Southeast Missouri last week, had a 91-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and came up with an interception in the red zone to thwart a scoring opportunity to earn MVP honors as the Blue team won the annual battle with the Red, 45-39.

"In the locker room at halftime (with his team trailing 26-20), we just told ourselves to play ball," Sanders said. "We could tell they didn't want it; they were already giving up.

"We kind of doubted ourselves at first but we really picked it up."

Added victorious Blue coach Cecil Van Hooks of Craigmont, "We met (as a team) last Sunday and really bonded. We had a good group; we got down but we just kept playing."

Crawford — the Melrose quarterback who was the leading passer in the area during the season — hit Wildcats teammate Tony Pollard with a gorgeous 69-yard strike to give the Red an early 7-0 lead.

preps_sun2_11053320_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

Melrose wide receiver Jonathan Johnson couldn’t quite haul in this pass on Saturday but he did score on 84-yard touchdown for the Red team on and end around.

Harrison — the area's top rusher from Ridgeway — countered with a 59-yard touchdown for the Blue before short scoring runs from Colton Neel (MUS) and Michael Mason (Kirby) and a 35-yard field goal by Matthew Smith of Northpoint put Red ahead 23-6.

Sanders' touchdown cut the lead to 10 before Craigmont's Wilkerson went to work with a pair of great scoring grabs.

His 29-yarder from teammate Andrew McIntyre made it 23-20 late in the second period and his 19-yarder from Bartlett's Jonathan Bowlan early in the third period tied it at 26.

Cordova's Sean Williams — who had a huge game with two interceptions and a forced fumble — then gave Blue a lead it wouldn't relinquish, scoring on a 34-yard pick-six.

"It just kind of fell in my hands and went for the pylon," said Williams, who is considering numerous scholarship offers. "I just love competing and being out here with all these great athletes really is kind of surreal."

A 4-yard run by Bowlan put Blue on top 39-26. But Melrose's Johnson electrified the crowd on the next play, taking a pitch from White Station's Terry Wright on an end-around and going 84 yards to the end zone.

Blue restored its two-touchdown lead when Ridgeway's BraxtonConard and Marquette Murdock teamed up on a 6-yard score. Red cut it to 45-39 with 5:14 to go thanks to another Crawford-to-Pollard hookup, from nine yards out.

They got the ball back with a chance to tie or win, but Millington's Patrick Macon sealed it with an interception.

"It was fun game," said Red coach Robby Donaldson. "It would have been more fun if we had won but it was a real good week. Some of the talent here is just jaw-dropping."

The Blue now leads the series 7-6 and has won three straight, by an average score of 49-42.

Edited by kwc

Disappointed isn't the word... Mad As Heck... We will be right back in the Semi-Finals though... I look forward to seeing if they let #2 Vaughn play QB. I think that'll give Whitehaven it's best chance to play and WIN the Blue Cross Bowl... I heard that there's a 6'3" 8th grader that looks like "Cam Newton" coming in to play QB... If he is as good as I've heard we may not have to play Vaughn at QB but he's gonna be a Frosh so I say play both early and if the young boy got that juice then let him start. I know Vaughn is a High Major DB prospect but let him play DB at UNC or UT or wherever and put that man under center so we can get back to Cookevegas 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Kudos to coach Saulsberry, coach Dillard and to all of the coaches and players that represented the West Team. It seems that the Whitehaven guys had a blast at the Toyota East vs West Classic game. The West side won 28-16. (Box Scores) It seems that the Whitehaven guys represented in the Autozone Liberty Bowl All-Star game as well. I'm glad they had the experience.

These folks didn't show the game here???? WTF

Disappointed isn't the word... Mad As Heck... We will be right back in the Semi-Finals though... I look forward to seeing if they let #2 Vaughn play QB. I think that'll give Whitehaven it's best chance to play and WIN the Blue Cross Bowl... I heard that there's a 6'3" 8th grader that looks like "Cam Newton" coming in to play QB... If he is as good as I've heard we may not have to play Vaughn at QB but he's gonna be a Frosh so I say play both early and if the young boy got that juice then let him start. I know Vaughn is a High Major DB prospect but let him play DB at UNC or UT or wherever and put that man under center so we can get back to Cookevegas

You can not slay the Black and Red Dragon with a freshman QB at Cookevegas......your "yellow flag" gold ball is not growing in number. The Black and Red Dragon has earned 2 more......

Good luck, hope you get another chance to slay the Dragon

I LIKE how the team will look in 2015. I really like how they infused big strapping freshman in a lot of key positions on the DL last year. Those guys were full fledged starting sophomores this year. The whole defense is a mix of young guys mixed in with some ole wiley vets. We rotated four DL and four DE this year. Two of the DL were seniors and two of the DE's were seniors ... with one senior DB in the starting rotation and one senior LB in the starting rotation. All of the others who rotated in on a continual basis were either sophomores or juniors. We will probably find a few jewels coming in from that regional state title Hanvenview Middle school squad. Remember ... Coach E coached Havenview's defense using the same 'D' we run at the Haven. They already know his sysytem, terminology, and coaching style. You KNOW going undefeated with him at Havenview will carry over in their respect and trust in what he does defensively. I'm not concerened at all about next year's 'D' ... I'm confident we will be stout next year.

I feel really good about the 'O' next year as well. We return everybody on the OL next year. Quite a few of those guys played as freshmen and sophomores last year as well. the OL will be a strong point for us next year. We ran the ball by committee this year and it won't change next year. We graduate two of the five who got consistent PT. Believe it or not ... they may not play Donte' at the QB spot. I'm not refering to baby Cam either. If baby cam is the athlete I think he is ... he'll more then likely get some time on in the defensive backfield and/or WR spot. It would be really good to let him marinate and mature on the JV squad if possible. But, I've heard that there is some competition on campus for the QB spot. We will see this spring. We also added some RB's as well. The WR position will lose two very good BIG receivers  in Laderrial and Braylen ... I've seen some of the other wide outs and we have considerable speed. We may have three speed merchants on the wings. I know we have some other big WR's, but I think our future may be some guys who aren't as big as Braylen and Laderriel, but they may be faster.

Oh ... I'm really liking what I've seen so far.

Edited by kwc

I LIKE how the team will look in 2015. I really like how they infused big strapping freshman in a lot of key positions on the DL last year. Those guys were full fledged starting sophomores this year. The whole defense is a mix of young guys mixed in with some ole wiley vets. We rotated four DL and four DE this year. Two of the DL were seniors and two of the DE's were seniors ... with one senior DB in the starting rotation and one senior LB in the starting rotation. All of the others who rotated in on a continual basis were either sophomores or juniors. We will probably find a few jewels coming in from that regional state title Hanvenview Middle school squad. Remember ... Coach E coached Havenview's defense using the same 'D' we run at the Haven. They already know his sysytem, terminology, and coaching style. You KNOW going undefeated with him at Havenview will carry over in their respect and trust in what he does defensively. I'm not concerened at all about next year's 'D' ... I'm confident we will be stout next year.

I feel really good about the 'O' next year as well. We return everybody on the OL next year. Quite a few of those guys played as freshmen and sophomores last year as well. the OL will be a strong point for us next year. We ran the ball by committee this year and it won't change next year. We graduate two of the five who got consistent PT. Believe it or not ... they may not play Donte' at the QB spot. I'm not refering to baby Cam either. If baby cam is the athlete I think he is ... he'll more then likely get some time on in the defensive backfield and/or WR spot. It would be really good to let him marinate and mature on the JV squad if possible. But, I've heard that there is some competition on campus for the QB spot. We will see this spring. We also added some RB's as well. The WR position will lose two very good BIG receivers  in Laderrial and Braylen ... I've seen some of the other wide outs and we have considerable speed. We may have three speed merchants on the wings. I know we have some other big WR's, but I think our future may be some guys who aren't as big as Braylen and Laderriel, but they may be faster.

Oh ... I'm really liking what I've seen so far.

Who is the better QB prospect over Donte???

Who is the better QB prospect over Donte???

I don't know if he's a better QB prospect then Donte. I just heard that there is a transfer in from Southwind who plays the QB position. If I remember correctly, he's got some size to him ... something like 6'-3" and 200 lbs. or something like that. That's all I've heard. I don't know about his classification, eligibility situation, or level of talent. That's why I stated in the above post ... "We will see in the spring." The person who mentioned him to me seemed to think that this may be a favorable situation after I brought up the QB position for next year's team. I had just assumed it would be Donte like you did, but he said to me, that's a good assumption BUT there may be an alternative. We will see. Then he prceeded to tell me about the young man and what little he knew about him at the time of our conversation.