West High School's next Head Coach

SGHSAlum93

Current DC Kevin Lane.  All the players want him to get it.  He's great with the kids and knows the game as good as anyone.  That should be a no brainer, but this is Knox County. 

Coach Lane is an outstanding football coach and has done a great job with the West defense.  I was told this morning that he is working on teaching certification that would allow him to apply for that job.  A lot of folks whom I have talked to and are close to the West program feel like you do, that he would be a great choice for that position.  

HTV, I know in the past there were instances where coaches were hired and given a waiver or a set amount of time in which to complete their certification. I'm not aware of that happening under the current superintendent. If they want to do what's in the best interest these players and maintain the success of the program without starting all over, then they should give Coach Lane this opportunity.

HTV, I know in the past there were instances where coaches were hired and given a waiver or a set amount of time in which to complete their certification. I'm not aware of that happening under the current superintendent. If they want to do what's in the best interest these players and maintain the success of the program without starting all over, then they should give Coach Lane this opportunity.

Yeah, but I think you hit it on the head when you mentioned the current superintendent.  

I'd better not go any further on that subject.  Don't need to get myself in trouble.  

Certainly don't disagree with you, however.  

Will someone please tell me why he left for Cleveland. Was it for a lot more money. I thought he did a great job for West High School. I can remember one time back in the seventies or eighties I saw a picture of a West High team in the paper and there were less than twenty players on the team. I also remember going there to play a game and there wouldn't be fifty people in the stands on their side. This guy should be given the keys to the castle for turning that kind of mess around.

Will someone please tell me why he left for Cleveland. Was it for a lot more money. I thought he did a great job for West High School. I can remember one time back in the seventies or eighties I saw a picture of a West High team in the paper and there were less than twenty players on the team. I also remember going there to play a game and there wouldn't be fifty people in the stands on their side. This guy should be given the keys to the castle for turning that kind of mess around.

control, money,school system with 1 high school. he mentioned school getting out earlier, meaning practice will end earlier giving him more time with his family.

The poster below is on the right track.  

The story in the News Sentinel alluded to several factors - money, the ability to be able to teach PE, schedule allowing him more time with is family, having a school affiliated feeder program and being over that feeder program, and a couple of other factors: 

"The decision has nothing to do with West High School or anything negative. It's about doing what my family feels is in our best interest at this time and a level of commitment that Cleveland City Schools has made to us in several different ways — the ability to have true middle school football and be the director of it. It's about getting out of school at 2:50 and therefore getting out of practice at a time where I can go watch my own kids in their own events and games.

"Maybe even eat dinner with them for once."

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/prepextra/scott-cummings-leaves-west-hired-by-cleveland-high_71415600

Knox County is not one of the better places for high school football coaches right now. The list of good, young football coaches who have left Knox County for other systems or private schools is growing longer by the month.  One really has to make a lot of sacrifices in a lot of areas to want to be a head football coach in Knox County right now.  

HTV What are all the problems people are talking about? Coach Duncan, Coach Black, Coach Courtney, they have all been there forever. Coach Cummings built a great program as well. So what's the problem? Simply because it's a big system? Low Pay? Bad facilities? No Players?

State Champion caliber teams at Powell, West, and Fulton now South Doyle competing at a high level. seems like great football in the area. Just looking for your opinion.

HTV What are all the problems people are talking about? Coach Duncan, Coach Black, Coach Courtney, they have all been there forever. Coach Cummings built a great program as well. So what's the problem? Simply because it's a big system? Low Pay? Bad facilities? No Players?

State Champion caliber teams at Powell, West, and Fulton now South Doyle competing at a high level. seems like great football in the area. Just looking for your opinion.

Ur making it sound like Cleveland isn't a good job. Yes he built west football and was fresh off of a state championship but they were losing a lot. I'm sure they were gonna reload but he's thinking about the future. He's played Cleveland enough to see the facilities, the athletes and all the possibilities that comes with it. Did u not hear what he said? He's in charge of the middle school program and is running the whole show. Not to mention Cleveland getting a 12 million dollar gym with a 4000 square foot weight room. Plus I'm sure they are paying him big bucks. Coaching is a business nothing should surprise u these days