Recruiting players

devilsden

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a problem in Blount County....lol Lots of sarcasm in my statement!

I don't think recruiting really goes on in this county. The fact of the matter is Maryville and Alcoa are two of the best football programs in the state and WB and Heritage are bottom feeders every year. It shouldn't be a surprise that some of the parents of good players are doing what it takes to get their sons to Maryville and Alcoa. Maryville and Alcoa both allow people that live OOZ to pay tuition to go to their schools. It's perfectly legal... Maryville and Alcoa don't have to recruit, their success recruits for them. A school like WB doesn't have any excuses when we have by far the biggest school in the county and can't win. Losing a player here and there is not hurting us.... We have plenty of good players and still suck. Why? Because those in power aren't doing what it takes to make us a good football program. If we would take care of business and do what needs to be done maybe we wouldn't be losing kids anyway.... Edited by Governors91

I don't think recruiting really goes on in this county. The fact of the matter is Maryville and Alcoa are two of the best football programs in the state and WB and Heritage are bottom feeders every year. It shouldn't be a surprise that some of the parents of good players are doing what it takes to get their sons to Maryville and Alcoa. Maryville and Alcoa both allow people that live OOZ to pay tuition to go to their schools. It's perfectly legal... Maryville and Alcoa don't have to recruit, their success recruits for them. A school like WB doesn't have any excuses when we have by far the biggest school in the county and can't win. Losing a player here and there is not hurting us.... We have plenty of good players and still suck. Why? Because those in power aren't doing what it takes to make us a good football program. If we would take care of business and do what needs to be done maybe we wouldn't be losing kids anyway....

So only players inside Blount County can transfer to Alcoa or Maryville and pay a fee?

So only players inside Blount County can transfer to Alcoa or Maryville and pay a fee?

I think it's open to anyone. However, at maryville it's on a first come first serve basis because they only allow so many tuition students per year. Alcoa allows more to come in because it's a smaller school and they don't have the overcrowding issues that the other schools in the county have. Edited by Governors91

I agree.....they start making evrry. Kid that transfers sit a year, a lot of these would stop.

I disagree... I think kids should be allowed to play where they want to play. Of course being a WB fan I'd like to see our kids stay here but I can't blame them for wanting to go elsewhere. A few years ago Alcoa's starting QB and a few others were from WB but they transferred to Alcoa to have a chance to win state. If WB had been where they should have been those kids probably would have stayed. The QB I spoke of had an older brother that started for WB in the mid 2000s. His brother stayed because WB had meadows as a coach and they were competitive during that time. And he probably would have stayed too if WB was still respectable.... I don't think kids leaving is the problem... I think the problem is schools aren't giving their kids a reason to stay.. I mean would you rather play for a loser or a winner? If you were being honest with everyone and yourself you'd probably say a winner and if you can admit that you oughta understand why kids are moving to different schools so they can be successful.

I think it's open to anyone. However, at maryville it's on a first come first serve basis because they only allow so many tuition students per year. Alcoa allows more to come in because it's a smaller school and they don't have the overcrowding issues that the other schools in the county have.

I don't have a problem with open zoned schools. Its up to each county to manage their own student populations however they see fit. Now bringing kids in from Knox Co to play for a Blount Co school is over the line. All transfers should have to sit 1 year unless granted a hardship, and all athletes should have to at least live in the county they play. Live as a legit primary residense. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I don't have a problem with open zoned schools. Its up to each county to manage their own student populations however they see fit. Now bringing kids in from Knox Co to play for a Blount Co school is over the line. All transfers should have to sit 1 year unless granted a hardship, and all athletes should have to at least live in the county they play. Live as a legit primary residense.

I disagree...

I think parents and kids oughta be able to do what they want to do. Besides.... What you are saying is unrealistic anyways..... Not many parents are going to be willing to drive their kids to a school that is 30 or more minutes away from where they live. If parents want their kids to go to a school that is far away they are probably going to move into the area and that solves the issue you have right away. However, if parents want to invest their time and gas money to go to a school in another county/city they oughta be able to do it. I don't think kids should have to sit out either... When you do that all you are doing is hurting the kids... I wish the TSSAA and adults/parents would stay out of it and let the kids play, it's about them not us.

I disagree...

I think parents and kids oughta be able to do what they want to do. Besides.... What you are saying is unrealistic anyways..... Not many parents are going to be willing to drive their kids to a school that is 30 or more minutes away from where they live. If parents want their kids to go to a school that is far away they are probably going to move into the area and that solves the issue you have right away. However, if parents want to invest their time and gas money to go to a school in another county/city they oughta be able to do it. I don't think kids should have to sit out either... When you do that all you are doing is hurting the kids... I wish the TSSAA and adults/parents would stay out of it and let the kids play, it's about them not us.

So, If Jalen Hurd leaves UT after his Freshman season, goes to Bama and doesn't have to sit out, no one has a problem with it? I agree on school choice. But athelics are a privilege not a right like an edcucation is. Take your kids to get a better education, fine. But sports. Will have to wait a year. Only fair way to do it. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan