District 13 AA Girls Basketball

charlesc

My  vote for Miss Basketball Class AA would be for Myah Taylor of Dyersburg High School.

She is a senior and a UT Martin signee. She is approaching 2000 points for here career, scored 44 points last Saturday night and broke the school record for three pointers in a game with nine. She had tied it two weeks ago, She is currently averaging 23 points per game. She has numerous double double and also two triple doubles.

I broadcast DHS basketball on the radio and also keep their stats for 32 years.

My  vote for Miss Basketball Class AA would be for Myah Taylor of Dyersburg High School.

She is a senior and a UT Martin signee. She is approaching 2000 points for here career, scored 44 points last Saturday night and broke the school record for three pointers in a game with nine. She had tied it two weeks ago, She is currently averaging 23 points per game. She has numerous double double and also two triple doubles.

I broadcast DHS basketball on the radio and also keep their stats for 32 years.

About time the best in the business joined us here on the interwebs! Myah has come up in multiple threads recently--especially since her 44 point performance Saturday.  She should definitely be in the running. Tonight was a great, team win over a talented Crockett County squad by Dyersburg.  Seems like this team might be peaking at just the right time---down the stretch.  The Westview game next week should be a doozy.

While I agree that Myah Taylor should be a Miss Basketball finalist, I think Dyersburg is ranked too high in the state and is not a "favorite for a state championship".

I understand they have a good record with only two losses (to Westview and Haywood Co), but who out of their district have they played that boosts their record? Their strength of schedule for AA is #94 out of 107. Who wouldn't have that good of a record while playing teams like that??

In my opinion, Westview is the underdog of the district that is flying high under the radar. Their strength of schedule is #21. They are currently 16-8 with two of those losses coming to Dyer Co (who is #3 in the state in AAA), one to South Side (who is #8 in AA), one to Gibson Co (who is #2 in A), and one to Haywood Co (which also beat Dyersburg), and the other three to Paducah Tilghman, Murray (who are two solid KY teams) and then AA Memphis Craigmont. They are also currently 6-0 in the district. However, everyone claims they are still too young (with only 2 seniors and 2 juniors) to compete in AA this year. Their freshman point guard is leading them right now as if she is a senior and then a sophomore is leading them in scoring.

However, games are decided on the court and not on paper and in posts :)

P.S. Westview is a lot like UTM Women's Basketball this year. No one thought they would do as good as last year after losing key players, but their coaches have found a way to lead them to victories when it matters the most, and they are both sitting undefeated in their district/conference.

I think Dyersburg has the best player in the district in Myah Taylor, and possibly best AA player in the state, but no one else on that team has consistently stepped up and taken some of the load off of Myah's shoulders. If they can get 2 other players to consistently score, Dyersburg can be really good. Dyersburg did lose some key pieces from last years team, so, in Dyersburg's defence, they have several kids who have not gotten quality playing time in years past. They're a somewhat young team as well.

With that being said, I do think the better over all team in this district is Westview. The point guard, Tasia Jones, runs the position very well to only be a freshman. She will be one that we will be talking about in the Miss Basketball picture here within the next few years. They've also got all of the other key pieces on that team that have the capability of making a run in the tournaments. Haskins has done a great job with this team for everyone to be so knew and having to adapt to his style of play. I'm sure everyone hated to see Coach Stephenson go, but it was almost perfect timing for a new coach to come in with all of the young talent on that team and the talent coming up. Had it been another year or two before Stephenson left, it would've been during some of the top players junior and senior season's. And in no way am I saying that Stephenson needed to go as he was a great coach, but I just think it was good timing for everyone's best interest if a new coach were in the future scheme of things.

Edited by GCPioneer

Would be super shocked if she is not a finalist. Gets double and triple teamed and still puts up 30+ a night. Bascially without her, Dyersburg isn't ranked top 5 in AA and one of the favorites for a state championship.

Based on some of the close scores they have had with Myah, I can safely say that Dyersburg would not even sniff the top 10 in the state without Myah!

Based on some of the close scores they have had with Myah, I can safely say that Dyersburg would not even sniff the top 10 in the state without Myah!

Dyersburg graduated 4 key players off last years team.  They are in rebuilding mode in several positions.  While Myah is handling her senior role nicely, we have had to rely on some young players to step up and help this year.  Nobody expected Dyersburg to blow out teams this year.  When you're overall young and rebuilding you're gonna have close games.  Pulling out wins in close games shows their desire to not settle this year.  I don't really understand your point.  Take away any teams top scorer and their "sniffing" abilities get a little stopped up.

While I agree that Myah Taylor should be a Miss Basketball finalist, I think Dyersburg is ranked too high in the state and is not a "favorite for a state championship".

I understand they have a good record with only two losses (to Westview and Haywood Co), but who out of their district have they played that boosts their record? Their strength of schedule for AA is #94 out of 107. Who wouldn't have that good of a record while playing teams like that??

In my opinion, Westview is the underdog of the district that is flying high under the radar. Their strength of schedule is #21. They are currently 16-8 with two of those losses coming to Dyer Co (who is #3 in the state in AAA), one to South Side (who is #8 in AA), one to Gibson Co (who is #2 in A), and one to Haywood Co (which also beat Dyersburg), and the other three to Paducah Tilghman, Murray (who are two solid KY teams) and then AA Memphis Craigmont. They are also currently 6-0 in the district. However, everyone claims they are still too young (with only 2 seniors and 2 juniors) to compete in AA this year. Their freshman point guard is leading them right now as if she is a senior and then a sophomore is leading them in scoring.

However, games are decided on the court and not on paper and in posts :)

P.S. Westview is a lot like UTM Women's Basketball this year. No one thought they would do as good as last year after losing key players, but their coaches have found a way to lead them to victories when it matters the most, and they are both sitting undefeated in their district/conference.

Dyersburg is young as well.  Graduated 3 senior starters last year.  If you look at Strength + Success we are ranked 7th.  Don't think we've ever played a pansy schedule.  I am surprised by our high state rankings as well.  If you saw us play at your place I'm sure you weren't impressed. I don't think westview or dyersburg showed full potential that night.  Good luck for the remainder of the season.  Would be nice to both return to state tournament, especially making it with young teams.

I think Dyersburg has the best player in the district in Myah Taylor, and possibly best AA player in the state, but no one else on that team has consistently stepped up and taken some of the load off of Myah's shoulders. If they can get 2 other players to consistently score, Dyersburg can be really good. Dyersburg did lose some key pieces from last years team, so, in Dyersburg's defence, they have several kids who have not gotten quality playing time in years past. They're a somewhat young team as well.

With that being said, I do think the better over all team in this district is Westview. The point guard, Tasia Jones, runs the position very well to only be a freshman. She will be one that we will be talking about in the Miss Basketball picture here within the next few years. They've also got all of the other key pieces on that team that have the capability of making a run in the tournaments. Haskins has done a great job with this team for everyone to be so knew and having to adapt to his style of play. I'm sure everyone hated to see Coach Stephenson go, but it was almost perfect timing for a new coach to come in with all of the young talent on that team and the talent coming up. Had it been another year or two before Stephenson left, it would've been during some of the top players junior and senior season's. And in no way am I saying that Stephenson needed to go as he was a great coach, but I just think it was good timing for everyone's best interest if a new coach were in the future scheme of things.

I will start by saying that I vaule your opinion, GC.  You are obviously very knowledgable about things in our neck of the woods and basketball in general.  I agree with your post for the most part.  First, Myah does carry the team.  She is irreplaceable.  She is our Senior leader who can drop 30-40 if teams don't prepare appropriately, and even when they do, she's still good for about 25.  Dyersburg is, however, young.  Two other seniors are on the roster--only 1 of which sees substantial playing time-- Senior PG Kim Tate.  The unsung hero and the best ball handler in the district, maybe in West TN in my opinion. Although she might not score the points that Tasia does at Westview, she--like Myah-- is key to the success of the Lady Trojans.

Last Saturday, Myah dropped 44 points.  Two days later at Crockett County she got in early foul trouble, was guarded well, and didn't play much of the 2nd and 3rd periods. How did Dyersburg respond?  Junior Shakaila Smith scored 15, nearly topping Myah's 17.  The bench also got in on the action with key minutes, accounting for 20+ points. That type of total team effort handed Crockett their worst loss of the season when Myah definitely wasn't at her best.  That was the type of outing that Dyersburg needed to show. (And shooting 55% from 3 didn't hurt.)

Does Dyersburg deserve to be ranked in the top 5 with their sub-par, non-district schedule and close games against some mediocre teams? Probalby not, but they are starting to prove that although Myah is the undisputed team MVP, they CAN win against a quality opponent when she is having a down night.  The big question is: when and if that happens again, can the team show that same resolve and toughness it showed against Crockett.

Side-note: I would love, love to see Dyersburg and Westview both back in Mufreesboro and an Elizabethon slip up somewhere along the way.  One can only hope.

Friday night's game of Westview vs Dyersburg @ Dyersburg should be a good one. Close to tournament time and teams are starting to peak. Will Dyersburg be able to stop Westview's point guard and have some of their other players be able to step up and compliment Myah's play? Or will Westview be able to stop Myah and have some players step up and knock down shots?? Only time will tell :)

Friday night's game of Westview vs Dyersburg @ Dyersburg should be a good one. Close to tournament time and teams are starting to peak. Will Dyersburg be able to stop Westview's point guard and have some of their other players be able to step up and compliment Myah's play? Or will Westview be able to stop Myah and have some players step up and knock down shots?? Only time will tell :)

Should be a great environment. Last night's crowd was great, so Friday should be jumping.  Doesn't get better than Dyersburg vs Westview.