Great Game at CPA!

sportsnerd

You are just helping prove the point made by the first commenter.  Pretty sure they were saying that CPA should be with those other hand-picked teams and not with the public schools.  Nobody said they weren't good and nationally-acclaimed.  The fact that they are so good, with "hand-picked players", means the commenter is lobbying for them to go to Division II.  At least that's what I got out of the quote.

"CPA isn't quite the juggernaut when they play teams that also get to handpick their players.."

My post was directed at this specifically. They are without question just as good as advertised when playing similar schools. Plus, with the new 8th grade (HS PG) PG they have a top 5-10 national player to add with an already talented, well coached group.

"CPA isn't quite the juggernaut when they play teams that also get to handpick their players.."

My post was directed at this specifically. They are without question just as good as advertised when playing similar schools. Plus, with the new 8th grade (HS PG) PG they have a top 5-10 national player to add with an already talented, well coached group.

My post was directed at you not getting it. How many national players you think roll in to Wartrace to play at Cascade every year? How many you think move to Pulaski to play at Giles County? What about Marshall County? None. CPA is unbelievably good. No one is questioning that. The reason they are good and the team to beat in Tennessee is completely different than why other teams in their district or region are good every once in a while. This whole thread is about them being just as good or better than the other private schools and nationally ranked schools, making the argument that it's probably not fair that their district is made up of 5 public schools from rural areas AND 1 Nashville area school who gets Division 1 talent in-fluxed every year "somehow".

CPA held on barely to beat Ensworth tonight 52-51. CPA led all but about 2 minutes of the game, the biggest lead was about 9.  Ensworth never quite, made some great clutch shots and plays, and had a chance to inbound and win at the end, barely missing a three at the buzzer.

Most of Ensworth's players are also football players, so their record is a bit misleading as their players get back in basketball mode and shape after the state championship football game.  I believe they will make some noise in the tournament. They are a very good team, and CPA did not play very well. Blackwell was invisible in the first half but had a couple of big plays in the clutch in the 2nd half.

It was the biggest crowd I have ever seen in the CPA gym with more than standing room only. Great rivalry and a great game between two teams about 5 miles apart.

It's very sad, for so many reasons, that because of the basketball team, games like this, between rivals both public and private, only a few miles apart, aren't happening on a weekly basis...

Edited by rulefollower

It wasn't that long ago that the CPA-Lipscomb game atmospheres were about the best there was in the Nashville area. Some of those atmospheres were absolutely wild. Great experiences for players, coaches and fans. Unfortunately, those days are gone unless there are some big changes.

Not quite the crowd or excitement last night at CPA.   So much is lost when you play schools from over an hour away, and the score is so lopsided.  At least the little cheerleaders were entertaining. And the band.  But I wouldn't call that a game.

I agree. District 10 was much more competitive and all the schools closer with better crowds, for the most part. CPA did not want to be moved to District 12. That was done by TSSAA beyond their control or wishes. CPA does reach out to close schools, private and public, for non-district games. They have no control over district schedule, and apart from that, they schedule really good teams, both in and out of state.

Even Lipscomb wanted out of their district.

Most teams want out of CPA's district- because of the "unlevel" playing field.  10AA didn't want them and I am sure nobody in 12AA wants them either.  Unless something changes- nobody will want them.  Now with the Las Vegas/Iowa/CPA 8th grade point guard sensation- they have 4 more years to bring in some "new talent" to displace some current CPA basketball player so the machine can continue after Blackwell graduates next year.

I agree. District 10 was much more competitive and all the schools closer with better crowds, for the most part. CPA did not want to be moved to District 12. That was done by TSSAA beyond their control or wishes. CPA does reach out to close schools, private and public, for non-district games. They have no control over district schedule, and apart from that, they schedule really good teams, both in and out of state.

Wait. What?? You agree with me?  :)