Region 2- AAA Tournament

Norman Dale

Well....here we are in a big predicament. Last night every region played in the state EXCEPT the ones with Knox County schools. Heck Cumberland County played and their whole county is in TERRIBLE SHAPE. More snow in the forecast Wed night into Thursday. The thought is that one more day of cancellations may force the region to eliminate the 3s and 4s in girls play. Now that is not going to set well with with William Blount and Maryville who have been willing to play EVERY DAY SINCE LAST THURSDAY! They would be kicked out while Bearden and Farragut move on and they are the schools that were not allowed to play because of their rule. I don't understand, however, they are ALLOWED TO PRACTICE during these days?

Although I don't agree with Dr. McIntyres decision not allowing Knox Co schools play yesterday he doesn't have control of the weather.

In making his decision he must take in consideration the safety and well being of student athletes, coaches, fans etc. Also he must consider the likelihood of litigation in the event of injury of visitors to schools, transporting teams etc. By the way are Knox Co Schools allowed to practice? We really don't know.

This no doubt is a highly unusual situation in which the T$$AA must come up with a plan that will allow for an equitable solution for all teams involved.

With that being said. Knox Schools should of and could have played girls games. Superintendent screwed up. But today's games for boys games would not have been played. So what would have been gained.

The key is what will the T$$AA do. They have a real problem and if games aren't played I don't see any fair resolution.

Although I don't agree with Dr. McIntyres decision not allowing Knox Co schools play yesterday he doesn't have control of the weather.

In making his decision he must take in consideration the safety and well being of student athletes, coaches, fans etc. Also he must consider the likelihood of litigation in the event of injury of visitors to schools, transporting teams etc. By the way are Knox Co Schools allowed to practice? We really don't know.

This no doubt is a highly unusual situation in which the T$$AA must come up with a plan that will allow for an equitable solution for all teams involved.

With that being said. Knox Schools should of and could have played girls games. Superintendent screwed up. But today's games for boys games would not have been played. So what would have been gained.

The key is what will the T$$AA do. They have a real problem and if games aren't played I don't see any fair resolution.

What did you tell me a couple days ago? :? lol My message to you.....quit complaining and making excuses and play the games!!

Mountaineer u r correct. Lol. Will heritage be hosting halls tonight.

Have pretty good info that McIntyre was the reason games weren't played on Thursday or Friday last week.

With more bad weather predicted doesn't look good til Friday. I live within walking distance of Knox Central and it doesn't look good for school being in session tomorrow. So if Dr. McIntyre holds to his policy no games tomorrow night. Bad weather predicted for Wednesday evening and night so possible no school on Thursday so possible no games Thursaday for Knox Co.

At this point if Knox Co is holding up completion of Region Tournament T$$AA should make them forfeit and tournament move on.

Per The Daily Times....

Updated Schedule

Region 2-AAA Tournament

WEDNESDAY

Girls Quarterfinals

5 p.m. — No. 4 William Blount at No. 1 Halls

6 p.m. — No. 4 Anderson County at No. 1 Bearden

6 p.m. — No. 3 Maryville at No. 2 Powell

6 p.m. — No. 3 Oak Ridge at No. 2 Farragut

8 p.m. — Boys Quarterfinals

• No. 4 Knox. Central at No. 1 Bearden
  • No. 4 Lenoir City at No. 1 Oak Ridge
  • No. 3 Maryville at No. 2 Powell
  • No. 3 Halls at No. 2 Heritage

Per The Daily Times....

Updated Schedule

Region 2-AAA Tournament

WEDNESDAY

Girls Quarterfinals

5 p.m. — No. 4 William Blount at No. 1 Halls

6 p.m. — No. 4 Anderson County at No. 1 Bearden

6 p.m. — No. 3 Maryville at No. 2 Powell

6 p.m. — No. 3 Oak Ridge at No. 2 Farragut

8 p.m. — Boys Quarterfinals

• No. 4 Knox. Central at No. 1 Bearden
  • No. 4 Lenoir City at No. 1 Oak Ridge
  • No. 3 Maryville at No. 2 Powell
  • No. 3 Halls at No. 2 Heritage

I copied and pasted that. Looks like a typo by TDT because if I'm not mistaken Maryville plays Karns.

Guest bketterl

Response to an email to one of the parents inquiring about the Knox schools playing:

Please see note from Dr. McIntyre below:

Thank you for inquiring about the regional basketball tournaments scheduled for this week.  First let me say that I recognize how important these games are to our student athletes.

My understanding is that TSSAA has now approved a schedule where those regional games can be played tomorrow (Wednesday), Thursday and Friday –- weather permitting -- with the sectional still scheduled for Saturday.

I also personally spoke with Bernard Childress, Executive Director of TSSAA, this morning and he promised me that that they would work with us and provide us with as much flexibility as possible to keep our students safe without having to forfeit games. If conditions tomorrow don’t allow for the games to be played, Plan B would be to possibly move the sectional game to Sunday or Monday. 

Your coach will keep you posted as we hear more and make decisions about the coming days.

Thanks,

Jim McIntyre