CPA vs creekwood

Bamapappy

1.  Which is not to be used as an excuse to not repent of actions when these actions do not line up with the standards of the Word of God which is the calling of the school.  Too many times this is used to justify, defend  or excuse (e.g. nobody is perfect).

2.  Which is exactly why "how a program operates" must line up with the mission.  If not about winning, why continue to operate in a manner that only infuriates those you say CPA is trying to interact with?  This only demonstrates a lack of understanding of what testimony really means.  The Bible teaches we are to avoid even those things that have the appearance of wrong doing for the sake of testimony. 

These are 2 key reasons why CPA is viewed in the fashion with which they currently are - lack of humble repentance and lack of understanding of testimony.  It has become about the business of school (image and keeping our customers happy - parents of students) than the mission of the school.  Yes, it is a fine balance, but a balance that must be maintained if the mission is to be upheld.  Nobody likes when someone says they are something when the actions do not support it, this only creates hypocrisy.  And no, this is not saying one must apologize for being successful.   

Just my humble opinion.  Does anyone pay attention to Coach Brooks bitter diatribes any more?  Ken, just get over it!

I know Coach Tony a little bit...I mean, reading these boards is always laughable when it comes to this subject, but you guys have outdone yourselves this time.  Why did they move to Nashville?   Why does anyone move to Nashville?  Because it's a great city, great place to raise a family, and a heck of a lot better place to live (IMO) than wherever they were in Iowa.  They didn't know anything about any schools in Nashville when they arrived last summer...they looked at several privates (MBA, BA, and Ensworth) as well as public schools in Williamson Co.  They also looked at CPA.  They determined it was the best fit for their family...They are a great family and CPA is lucky to have them, whether Tiger ever played a minute of basketball or not.

Maybe you ought to be asking yourselves this--if they decided to move away from Iowa purely for basketball, then why Nashville of all places?  When has Nashville ever been a real "basketball" city?  There are many better "basketball cities" than Nashville.  

No doubt though, if history has taught us anything, public schools losing to private schools in the state of Tennessee means rules get created so that that stops happening.  Everything is fine when the publics are winning, which, especially in basketball, they did for decades and decades with nary a peep from private schools.  So enjoy it while it lasts, CPA fans.  Just is what it is here.

Edited by big red big blue
  • Upvote 1

Just my humble opinion.  Does anyone pay attention to Coach Brooks bitter diatribes any more?  Ken, just get over it!

I can assure everyone who thinks to the contrary that I am over what ever you think I need to get over (and aren't really concerned whether you believe me or not).  One should not confuse "getting over it" with caring and thus having an opinion.  I spent 26 years of my life developing a Christian athletic philosophy to compete with intensity, compassion and playing to win without compromising values and testimony for the sake of wins.  I do not apologize or ever plan on "getting over that."

I can assure everyone who thinks to the contrary that I am over what ever you think I need to get over (and aren't really concerned whether you believe me or not).  One should not confuse "getting over it" with caring and thus having an opinion.  I spent 26 years of my life developing a Christian athletic philosophy to compete with intensity, compassion and playing to win without compromising values and testimony for the sake of wins.  I do not apologize or ever plan on "getting over that."

Don't know Coach Brooks but appreciate an inside perspective on CPA. It is suppose to be a Christian school but their reputation is being tainted by the win at all costs attitude.

One other thought on this subject, several including myself have said that the answer is for CPA to go d2. However after giving this more thought I believe a better solution to this problem would be for the TSSAA to make a rule that any coach at a HS, head coach down to middle school, who participates in any AAU coaching is not allowed to coach that boy or girl in HS period. The only exception would be if the player was their child. CPA, Maddux, did not start this, you can go as far back as Shelbyville girls to see how this works. Also, Shelbyville is PUBLIC so this AAU situation works in both public and private.

If the AAU coaches were truly just interested in the well being of the player and not where the player winds up at HS, then they should not have an issue. They should coach just for the pleasure they get of seeing a player develop and leave their motives at the gym door. It would be interesting to see how coaches like Maddux would participate in AAU if this was a rule going forward. This would certainly disclose their true motive.

• Upvote 1

One other thought on this subject, several including myself have said that the answer is for CPA to go d2. However after giving this more thought I believe a better solution to this problem would be for the TSSAA to make a rule that any coach at a HS, head coach down to middle school, who participates in any AAU coaching is not allowed to coach that boy or girl in HS period. The only exception would be if the player was their child. CPA, Maddux, did not start this, you can go as far back as Shelbyville girls to see how this works. Also, Shelbyville is PUBLIC so this AAU situation works in both public and private.

If the AAU coaches were truly just interested in the well being of the player and not where the player winds up at HS, then they should not have an issue. They should coach just for the pleasure they get of seeing a player develop and leave their motives at the gym door. It would be interesting to see how coaches like Maddux would participate in AAU if this was a rule going forward. This would certainly disclose their true motive.

You have a great point. Shelbyville was the leader in getting players through AAU. It is definitely a recruiting issue in both private and public schools. I think you have a great idea but the coaches would do like Insell and sit two rows behind the bench with someone else acting as the "head coach". People are going to find ways to get around the rules. Not sure it can ever be stopped. 

Thank you Coach.  It is possible to play without compromise.  CPA's football team and other sports are proof.  It's sad that the sport of basketball is allowed to play with a whole different system, and hurt the reputation of the whole school.  Sounds like big changes may be coming soon. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.