Paid Youth and Middle School Club Coaches?

Wrestlingdad1301

the ones that are good and of course they get exponentially better by traveling. Like most things in life, the rich get richer, Constantly having new gear, a team bus and full time kids coaching is a tremendous recruiting tool

A better question would be.  How many Youth coaches spend less then $1000.00 year out of their own pocket to travel, expenses, and to subsidize for the kids that can't pay.  Most the coaches I know in the AAU not only spent countless hours but countless financial resources..... except for the director and a hand-full of others that get a stipend and expenses paid by AAU.  Of course those are the same one's that decided that Knoxville should have two Regions while Chattanooga and Nashville only have one. 

I wonder if anyone else noticed the director asleep in a hammock in the $5000 AAU trailer parked in the end zone while our champs stood on  a 2 x2 sand bag as the  medalist sat on the floor in their awards ceremony.

A better question would be. How many Youth coaches spend less then $1000.00 year out of their own pocket to travel, expenses, and to subsidize for the kids that can't pay. Most the coaches I know in the AAU not only spent countless hours but countless financial resources..... except for the director and a hand-full of others that get a stipend and expenses paid by AAU. Of course those are the same one's that decided that Knoxville should have two Regions while Chattanooga and Nashville only have one.

I wonder if anyone else noticed the director asleep in a hammock in the $5000 AAU trailer parked in the end zone while our champs stood on a 2 x2 sand bag as the medalist sat on the floor in their awards ceremony.

I thought I clarified the region comments earlier. Most people involved understand how and why the state was divided the way it is. It was proposed and voted on at the open state meetings multiple times. You are more than welcome to come and voice your opinion or be a part of the open meetings. Unfortunately we haven't had 1 single non board member show up in three years. Let me start off by saying Knoxville doesn't have two regions anymore than Nashville has two regions. The regions are balanced to try and ensure each area has as close to an equal number of participants as possible. This is readdressed every few years and lines are redrawn as we gain and lose teams from each area. Is there some reason you want Nashville and Chattanooga to have 2 regions? I'm glad we only have 1 in Chattanooga as I don't see any advantage of having 2. If you consider Bristol , kingsport, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, and every town east of Chattanooga all being in Knoxville then I guess that's where the confusion lies. Nashville is actually split with some teams being in region 5 with west Tennessee.

As far as people being paid a stipend this is as far from the truth as you can possibly get. Where are you getting this information because they do not get anything. If someone was asleep on Sunday it's probably because they were exhausted from all night emails, calls, texts in the week leading up to the tournament and being up all night preparing for a tournament with 65 brackets and weight classes. Here we are days after the state tournament and we are still answering emails and calls from parents. I can't even Begin to describe the time and energy put into our sport by these people . As far as the Aau trailers are concerned. One was donated to us and another Aau parent did the decals. The other trailer is personally owned by Kevin Wright. The trailers are needed to haul the computers, monitors, stands and clocks among other things. We would love for you to be a part of our meetings and share your ideas or go through your region director to offer any suggestions. Hopefully I've cleared up the things you were mistaken on. If not you can reach any board member through the state website for further clarification.

I would like to say that the TN AAU leadership is on it. They do a great job putting the Top 100 tournaments, the regions and state tournament. They do an ever better job putting together all these national tournament teams that are coming up in April.  Coming from Iowa and talking to friends in Iowa about there National teams I will tell you I am staying here in Tennessee. Like Youthcoach said above Tennessee wrestling is begining to open eyes.  When we were in Iowa my friends keep coming up and saying wow Tennessee has some really impressive wrestlers. Tournaments here in Tennessee have gotten better every year that I have been here. So if you have not wrestled for another AAU group, go and I would bet that you will come back and thank all these guys for everything that they do for your kid.  I love how people come on here and complain but never have a plan to fix things.  I agree it sucks not having the correct stage to give awards but atleast the kids are given medals that they deserve unlike the high school state tournament medals that if you drop you may never find it again. So to close, keep up the great work TN AAU!!! 

The guy sleeping on the Hammock in the trailer Sunday was the guy who was the tournament pairer for the Saturday event. The guy who stayed up late Friday night organizing the brackets as the committee offered suggestions.  The guy who all week answered everyones emails and phone calls from parents and coaches who were having trouble registering or entering their wrestler on Track.  The guy who ran the event on Saturday.  The guy that was there from 7 AM Saturday till after 9 PM. The guy who WAS NOT WORKING ON THE SUNDAY DUALS BUT SHOWED UP TO HELP IF HELP WAS NEEDED. SO WHEN THERE WAS A MOMENT ON SUNDAY WHERE THERE WAS A LITTLE DOWN TIME, THE GUY TOOK "HIS" HAMMOCK AND TOOK A LITTLE POWER NAP IN THE TRAILER.  THE SAME GUY WHO WILL ANSWER HIS PHONE AT ALL HOURS TO HELP ANYONE OUT WITH THEIR EVENT THEY ARE RUNNING ON TRACK WRESTLING (I KNOW BECAUSE I CALL HIM ON HELP FROM HIM AND JOHN SALTER AND NEITHER EVER REFUSE)!  TD2, YOU SIR (SIGN OF RESPECT) WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW MUCH THIS GUY DOES FOR WRESTLING, BEHIND THE SCENES, HELPING ENSURE WRESTLING EVENTS ON TRACK ARE DONE WELL. THE GUY WHO YOU REFERRED TO IS KEVIN WRIGHT.  HE IS NOT THE DIRECTOR OS TEAMTN BUT HE IS THE SOUTH REGION DIRECTOR.  

Also, the $5,000 trailer you refer to is a donation made to TeamTN.  The trailer was given to the organization to help transport the Track Wrestling Clocks that TeamTN purchased. They were purchased to enhance the operation of our events (and other events by other organizations to use).  The Trailer makes it easy to transport and helps protect those clocks. 

The Director of TeamTN is Don Barnett. Who VOLUNTEERS HIS TIME AND RECEIVES NO STIPEND FOR THE WORK HE DOES. NOONE IN TEAMTN RECEIVES A STIPEND AS YOU SUGGEST. HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IN TEAMTN THAT GIVE.

Darrel Lauderdale

The guy sleeping on the Hammock in the trailer Sunday was the guy who was the tournament pairer for the Saturday event. The guy who stayed up late Friday night organizing the brackets as the committee offered suggestions.  The guy who all week answered everyones emails and phone calls from parents and coaches who were having trouble registering or entering their wrestler on Track.  The guy who ran the event on Saturday.  The guy that was there from 7 AM Saturday till after 9 PM. The guy who WAS NOT WORKING ON THE SUNDAY DUALS BUT SHOWED UP TO HELP IF HELP WAS NEEDED. SO WHEN THERE WAS A MOMENT ON SUNDAY WHERE THERE WAS A LITTLE DOWN TIME, THE GUY TOOK "HIS" HAMMOCK AND TOOK A LITTLE POWER NAP IN THE TRAILER.  THE SAME GUY WHO WILL ANSWER HIS PHONE AT ALL HOURS TO HELP ANYONE OUT WITH THEIR EVENT THEY ARE RUNNING ON TRACK WRESTLING (I KNOW BECAUSE I CALL HIM ON HELP FROM HIM AND JOHN SALTER AND NEITHER EVER REFUSE)!  TD2, YOU SIR (SIGN OF RESPECT) WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW MUCH THIS GUY DOES FOR WRESTLING, BEHIND THE SCENES, HELPING ENSURE WRESTLING EVENTS ON TRACK ARE DONE WELL. THE GUY WHO YOU REFERRED TO IS KEVIN WRIGHT.  HE IS NOT THE DIRECTOR OS TEAMTN BUT HE IS THE SOUTH REGION DIRECTOR.  

Also, the $5,000 trailer you refer to is a donation made to TeamTN.  The trailer was given to the organization to help transport the Track Wrestling Clocks that TeamTN purchased. They were purchased to enhance the operation of our events (and other events by other organizations to use).  The Trailer makes it easy to transport and helps protect those clocks. 

The Director of TeamTN is Don Barnett. Who VOLUNTEERS HIS TIME AND RECEIVES NO STIPEND FOR THE WORK HE DOES. NOONE IN TEAMTN RECEIVES A STIPEND AS YOU SUGGEST. HE IS NOT THE ONLY ONE IN TEAMTN THAT GIVE.

Darrel Lauderdale

I've been away from wrestling for more than a few years except a match here or there bit this year I've started going again. I never went to the AAU before. The venue stunk . At that was about the end of anything negative from my experience. I loved it. Loved track . I could look on it see who was on what mat and watch that match. Didn't see where the medal presentation took place but willing to bet not one kid complained about it. Air quality wasn't great took some advice got over it. Concession lines at time were long. So what I went to watch. Saw some great matches . Great wrestlers. I'd like to see it split up to 2 days maybe help with time issue but haven't got a clue how to get kids from all over the state there over 3 days instead of 2. Different weekends? Maybe. Everybody had something to cheer about be it they're team, region friends family etc. No losers in wrestling especially at those ages. It takes guts to wrestle one on one no excuses. Thanks for everything .