Community vs. South Greene

jrm2x

Anyone have any insight on South Greene? Community playing in first ever state tournament. I believe all Community's core players are juniors and sophomore. Community record is not great but they have played a tough schedule with many AA and AAA opponents. They also played Pickett co and Houston co earlier in the year. Community has a good mix of size and speed. Even though I know nothing of S Greene I will take the Viqueens in this one close. Anyone else?

Edited by jrm2x

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a historic event for Community High School... This group of girls have worked extremely hard to get where they are. They are talented and have a"NO QUIT" Attitude. I am sure that South Greene is a talented team also, just like every team in the tournament but our Viqueens will give 100% all night long! Good luck girls Unionville is proud of you!

South Greene has 6 losses. 3 of them are to teams that made it to state in AAA (including a 4 point loss to semi-finalist Bearden) One is to a team that is down there in AA. One is to a Motown East that made it to AAA Region semi-finals, and one to District foe Hampton, who was an overtime shot rolling off the rim away from being at state as well. They also have wins over Motown West (AAA state) and Grainger (AA state).

They were up about 20 on Meigs in substate before they let off the gas. They aren't getting many looks cause they aren't from district 7A. But this team is only 4 years removed from making the AA semi-finals two years in a row.

South Greene has 6 losses. 3 of them are to teams that made it to state in AAA (including a 4 point loss to semi-finalist Bearden) One is to a team that is down there in AA. One is to a Motown East that made it to AAA Region semi-finals, and one to District foe Hampton, who was an overtime shot rolling off the rim away from being at state as well. They also have wins over Motown West (AAA state) and Grainger (AA state).

They were up about 20 on Meigs in substate before they let off the gas. They aren't getting many looks cause they aren't from district 7A. But this team is only 4 years removed from making the AA semi-finals two years in a row.

Well put. The Rebels have played a tough schedule. If they are shooting well, then they will be tough to stop. Go Rebels.

Funny not many teams other than ones from 7a seem to stand a chance. I understand history is on their side, but I hope Community does well. I think a lot just depends on who handles nerves of the big stage and who does no tighten up under the bright lights.

Thanks Pujo. We will be pulling for your boys next week. This will be this group of Rebels 1st trip to state, but their 26th overall. This group has been there in volleyball several times including to the finals in 2014. I don't expect them to be anymore nervous than any other team. They are a overall young team. They have 3 seniors, but really every one of their 10 players (mostly freshman) can be big any given night. Our sophomore (I think the only one) had a huge game against Hampton in the 3rd quarter of region finals which got the team back into the game and then as our lead diminished in the sectional game against Meigs she stepped up again. You really can't discount any player on that team. D1 does not get a lot of credit, but I'm telling you that four of those teams gave a good run at state. And I'm surprised that Hampton isn't up there with the Rebels this week.

Very true about the nerves...the stage is big.....but the game is still the game. Community has won some big games against some good teams. ( Pickett Co., Pope John Paul, MTCS, Perry Co) Also had some close lose to Smyrna, Giles Co, Murfresboro Central Magnet and Houston Co. I think the girls will stay focused and be a solid opponent for South Greene.

Tack a win over a Motown West team that is now in the AAA semi-finals.. Their résumé gets better by the minute.