Loretto vs Van Buren state tournament

Dukepoint57

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to both getting there as that's always a great accomplishment however the winner will meet a tall task in the next round. I'm afraid as usually is the case, the champion will come from the west. They are gonna run into a really, really good team in the semis. This first round matchup may be fun to watch and then again the champion between Mitchell and Uc should be worth admission. I don't think either of the semi final games will be close though...

Loretto is SOLID. They have a jr that is 6'8" and a freshman that is 6'9". You may have heard their freshman class this year never lost a game in 7th and 8th grade. And those kids are very athletic. The freshmen also have represented the state at the Babe Ruth World Series as 13s and 14s. The also have a kid that was recruited in football by an Ivy League school. Great athletes. And I'm relatively certain that if there is a team that can handle UC it would be Loretto. The height and youth of this team-a freshman led them in scoring hitting 5 3s in the region championship vs Columbia Academy

Loretto's Freshman have done a great job and really stepped up the last two games when we were without two starters in the region championship and without one during the sectional.  Both are now back healthy and able to play.  Loretto starts four seniors and a junior but the others come in quickly, often and contribute.  They have a well rounded team with good height.  The junior is 6'9" while they also have four others 6'4" or better.

In one respect Loretto and Van Buren are similar as they are both small rural schools.  Loretto is mainly known for girls basketball as the boys are now in uncharted waters.  Loretto boys last won the District in 1963 and last made it to the state in 1942.  Pushing for the most wins ever by a boys basketball team as well.

Best of luck to both teams but pulling for the Mustangs.

Edited by RedTang

RedTang, as a Summertown fan, I congratulate the Stangs and wish y'all the best of luck. Enjoy the moment when you get up there. Just got done listening to Coach Micah on XSports. I sincerely believe that due to your size and the athleticism on your team you really are equipped to handle a team like Union City.

RedTang, as a Summertown fan, I congratulate the Stangs and wish y'all the best of luck. Enjoy the moment when you get up there. Just got done listening to Coach Micah on XSports. I sincerely believe that due to your size and the athleticism on your team you really are equipped to handle a team like Union City.

Thanks, I think they will enjoy the trip.  They made their goals for the year and have reached everyone of them.  Anything beyond this point is gravy. Just glad those boys had a good year as they are a very good bunch and have had a great time playing this year. Would be nice to keep it going.