What should the TSSAA do?

judgesmales

Jackson is way too far for the East TN teams. Tennessee is a long state and it would not be fair to the west teams to have it in Johnson City or Kingsport. I am not sure where the middle of the state is but I guess it is close to Cookeville  So have the tourney at Tennessee Tech like football.

Jackson is way too far for the East TN teams. Tennessee is a long state and it would not be fair to the west teams to have it in Johnson City or Kingsport. I am not sure where the middle of the state is but I guess it is close to Cookeville  So have the tourney at Tennessee Tech like football.

Murfreesboro is the geographical center of the state.

Jackson is way too far for the East TN teams. Tennessee is a long state and it would not be fair to the west teams to have it in Johnson City or Kingsport. I am not sure where the middle of the state is but I guess it is close to Cookeville So have the tourney at Tennessee Tech like football.

Might as well go another hour to the University of Tennessee and play at TBA.

Walking distance from the Glass House at MTSU - on the same street:

Photo91381o.jpg

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=26067

Edited by davidlimbaugh

Allow me to play Devils advocate here if you will. I do agree something needs to be done to fix the way Tennessee high school basketball is handled as a whole. But wouldn't that only contribute to the whole "everybody gets a trophy" culture of sports today? By creating even more divides? CPA hasn't won a state championship in 3 years now. No private won a title last season. More often than not, the privates do not win. No private will win this season. Again, I'm not disagreeing, just playing Devils Advocate.

I say split private/public schools. Have 4 classifications in all sports (instead of 5 for FB and 3 for all other sports) for public, 2 classifications in private.

Then for basketball, I say to get rid of district tournaments all together. Have one big region tournament with all schools from the two districts, with top two advancing to the sectional and sectional winners go to state tournament. For example: say 1 district has 6 teams and 1 has 7 teams. The district with 7 would have a play-in game between #6. The one and two seeds would have byes. #3 from one dist plays #6 from the other dist, the #4's play the #5's. The winners then move on to play the 1's and 2's. Play everything up to semifinals at the higher seed like you do first round of the region now.

Not sure if that example makes sense or not? But 1 big region tourney is my suggestion. And I like the idea of rotating the state, even though I like to go every year too.

I definitely like the 4 classifications in all sports.

Allow me to play Devils advocate here if you will. I do agree something needs to be done to fix the way Tennessee high school basketball is handled as a whole. But wouldn't that only contribute to the whole "everybody gets a trophy" culture of sports today? By creating even more divides? CPA hasn't won a state championship in 3 years now. No private won a title last season. More often than not, the privates do not win. No private will win this season. Again, I'm not disagreeing, just playing Devils Advocate.

It's real simple! If you are funded by federal money and not private donations/funds you are PUBLIC!! If you pay tuition which is tax-deductible and corporations are involved you are PRIVATE!! Let both have their separate state tournaments, determining public/private champs then.........DRUMROLL........let the two play each other for a true Mano/Mano champ! Alright, come out and let the debate begin. Be kind and objective though!!

The shot clock won't happen in Tennessee, until the NFHSA mandates it.  Their are currently two states that use a shot clock (NY and Mass).  They like it.  If a state association chooses not to follow the mandates of the NFHSA, they are usually kicked out of the organization.  For example, the state of Minnesota plays 18:00 minute halves instead of 4-8:00 minute quarters.  (NFHSA eliminated their membership).  They actually play 36:00 of basketball per game (as opposed to 32:00).  On average, their  boys and girls doubleheader games take 15 minutes less, of real time, to play (on average) per night.  Sounds like a good idea to me.  

Do what Alabama does and make a lot more money doing it, a lot more. One of my buddies from down there said that the State Final 4 games and Title game in Alabama pays for the entire budget of the AHSAA, because the football title games do not, not even close. It would make the basketball tournaments mean more and a lot more fun!