criteria for hiring coaches

broadcaster54

how do schools do it in basketball? i know for football they usually advertise and have search committees but what  about basketball. seems in most cases they hire assistants from within or look at local candidates some whom have very little experience on their resumes. just seems at most schools in the state hiring a quality basketball coach just isn't a priority.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can depend on the school system, community, administrators etc... Many jobs are posted right now. In some places they let the AD do the searching and hiring other places it can be the AD and admin. Taking a chance on young coach might be something their program is looking for. Basketball is second sport in the state and in some rural areas it's just something to do after football. 

At Mitchell I always keep 3 names on file if I need to make a hire in Footbal and B&G basketball. I contact them and if I have a favorite I give it to the principal and makes the final choice.

Galilee, I'm looking at different jobs in TN, were moving back to TN after living overseas 6 years and the Navajo nation this year. I've got my app in with Shelby County. Is there a spot open at Mitchell for an assistant?

I've wondered this for a while. I graduated college in 2013 and have 4 years experience coaching at the high school level as an assistant. I was on staff at a D1 school (2yrs as a manager, 1 as a student assistant). I keep getting the we want someone with more experience. i am certified in health,pe, and drivers Ed and cannot get a job in the district in which I coach bc none of them are leaving. Sadly I cannot even get a job somewhere without coaching. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I've wondered this for a while. I graduated college in 2013 and have 4 years experience coaching at the high school level as an assistant. I was on staff at a D1 school (2yrs as a manager, 1 as a student assistant). I keep getting the we want someone with more experience. i am certified in health,pe, and drivers Ed and cannot get a job in the district in which I coach bc none of them are leaving. Sadly I cannot even get a job somewhere without coaching. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Nope, its all in who you know or where you are looking. As a young coach with no experience, I would think that it would be easier to get hired in a situation that may not be as popular or highly sought after as others. Start there and build your way up, prove yourself and then start moving back up into spots that you really want. Thats what I have seen from friends that got into that business. The ones that were willing to take a spot that might not have been as appealing moved up quicker because people could see them work and get something going where there hadnt been anything. The ones that didnt want to go that route are or did sit as assistants for a while and are still hoping that the perfect spot comes open. 

As a former coach and P.E. Major I can tell you the first thing you need to do is get certified to teach a core subject such as science or math. With your PE certification its easy to add endorsements by taking a couple Praxis Tests. Im now an athletic director and if I am looking for a coach in any sport I will post the openning for other subject areas. Pe is usually going to a football coach at most schools.