Tough Tennessee High School teams of the Past

BigDave1967

Don't remember all the scores, but the '96 Red Devils only allowed something like 50 points during the regular season and 90 in 15 games.  Halls finished 14-1.  If memory correct didn't allow any 1st half points till week 10. 

W 52-12 Gibbs

W 32-7 Maryville

W 38-0 Knox West

W 26-6 Cocke Co.

W 36-0 Carter

W 13-7 Anderson Co.

W 20-0 Powell

W 42-0 Morristown West

W 34-8 Knox Central

W 45-17 Cumberland Co.

Playoffs

W 16-0 Cherokee

W 30-0 Lavergne

W 31-8 Baylor

W 21-7 Anderson Co.

L 14-18 Pearl-Cohn

Thanks for that info CUO6.  Scored 450 and gave up 90 in 15 games (if math is correct).  I'll have to ask but I don't think the scores by Gibbs, Maryville were against the varsity.  And I also think the 17 points by Cumberland co. were the first points scored in the first half.

Loved reading about the old teams

I get all my info from here usually.  It's like the wikipedia of TN HS football.  I can remember that semifinal game with AC in '96.  First game was of the season was close and most of Knoxville was in the stadium that night for lying Larry's return to Halls for the 10th year anniversary of his champion red devils.

CUO6,

Did you go to Halls and play football there?  From memory, the first game wasn't as close as the score shows.  Halls ran up and down the field.  Gilliam had a good game for AC but they only threaten to score once.  The semi game was at Halls and the placed was packed.  Think it was on TV or radio or both.  LL shaved his head as motivation but it didnt work.  That game was not as close as the score says either.

Edited by devilsden

CUO6,

Did you go to Halls and play football there?  From memory, the first game wasn't as close as the score shows.  Halls ran up and down the field.  Gilliam had a good game for AC but they only threaten to score once.  The semi game was at Halls and the placed was packed.  Think it was on TV or radio or both.  LL shaved his head as motivation but it didnt work.  That game was not as close as the score says either.

No I didn't go to Halls but had family play baseball there back in the day.  I mostly remember the crowd at that semifinal game more than anything.  That started the run for the old region 3-AAAA playing in 12 of 13 blue cross bowls from 1996-2008.

Riverdale 94 and 04 teams were probably our best teams with the 01team not far behind

When I was in jr high school I lived in Gallatin. I don't remember the year but Germantown came to and we were undefeated at the time Germantown absolutely destroyed us and the looked like a college team. This was early 80s. I wanna sat 82 or83. I think n 84 Overton put us out

Edited by riverdaleman