Why are the next level coaches so much smarter?

strongx

Because this site is named after a coach and there are so many coaches active on the site, I would love to hear some discussion about why the guys/gals coaching at the next level are so much smarter. I'm sure we have all seen it. The football coach in the older league or high school who thinks he can make a (fill in the blank) out of a kid who has never/rarely played there. Make a kid a linebacker who has always been afraid of contact...Make a kid a receiver who can't catch...Make a kid a qb who can't think for himself let alone the entire offense. Or in baseball we often see the flashy glove kid play SS at the older levels until that coach realizes he can't catch a 12 bouncer - something his younger coaches knew. Or the baseball coach who wants to turn the power hitter into a bunter or make him hit behind runners. Ever see the basketball coach who says yeah the kid can get up and down the floor but I want him to slow down and run the offense. I know kids need to expand their abilities, but does anybody else see the natural abilities restricted as much as me? And yes, I have coached too. And yes, I have tried to make a kid a rb when the coach at the younger age knew better. Why don't we just let the kids play - LOL!

Edited by strongx

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because this site is named after a coach and there are so many coaches active on the site, I would love to hear some discussion about why the guys/gals coaching at the next level are so much smarter. I'm sure we have all seen it. The football coach in the older league or high school who thinks he can make a (fill in the blank) out of a kid who has never/rarely played there. Make a kid a linebacker who has always been afraid of contact...Make a kid a receiver who can't catch...Make a kid a qb who can't think for himself let alone the entire offense. Or in baseball we often see the flashy glove kid play SS at the older levels until that coach realizes he can't catch a 12 bouncer - something his younger coaches knew. Or the baseball coach who wants to turn the power hitter into a bunter or make him hit behind runners. Ever see the basketball coach who says yeah the kid can get up and down the floor but I want him to slow down and run the offense. I know kids need to expand their abilities, but does anybody else see the natural abilities restricted as much as me? And yes, I have coached too. And yes, I have tried to make a kid a rb when the coach at the younger age knew better. Why don't we just let the kids play - LOL!

sx ennurustin qwestun.......Tha Liar's Clubb wuz discussin' this twoday and eye down't thaink hits rite.....Eye tolt tha LC mimburrs thait inn 2002 Casey Clawsun could knott evon taik a snap inn tha rane agin Flarda wifout fumblin'.....And jist a cupple nites beefour MLREB's littull hoppurs played inn tha rane all nite wifout layin' tha bawl on tha grownd...... :popcorneater:

In my opinion it comes down to experience

Yep, usually does. And I guess preference. Some coaches may want a great athlete at QB and sacrifice other attributes, while another may want the brains at QB and the athlete somewhere else.

Or some coaches may like trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

So many high school coaches never played ball past high school & never were a grad assistant or student assistant in a college program. They only know how their high school coach conducted a practice or coached in games. If their high school coach didn't know what he was doing, chances are they don't know what they are doing. It's much easier to just roll out the ball and try to "out athlete" the other team than to develop talent. IMO, GQ does as good of a job as anyone in D1 when it comes to developing talent. He does not have the best athletes at every position but they seem to be in the correct position to make a play. I would like to see what he could do if he had 8+ D1 players in a single season.

Edited by cbg

So many high school coaches never played ball past high school & never were a grad assistant or student assistant in a college program. They only know how their high school coach conducted a practice or coached in games. If their high school coach didn't know what he was doing, chances are they don't know what they are doing. It's much easier to just roll out the ball and try to "out athlete" the other team than to develop talent. IMO, GQ does as good of a job as anyone in D1 when it comes to developing talent. He does not have the best athletes at every position but they seem to be in the correct position to make a play. I would like to see what he could do if he had 8+ D1 players in a single season.

Ummm, I'd bet he would win the 6A state championship and have a continuous clock going in 2nd half of most of their games... Hold on there - that isn't much of a change is it?

Had that many last year. Most folks underestimate the talent.

Who are the NCAA D1 players that have signed off this years Maryville team?

Not sure exactly but the one's I know of are 81, 79, 78, and 1. I apologize if there are more.

But back to the topic - old #79 is a great example. He was unbelievable at DE for murvil for 2-3 years. But the college coaches wanted to make him a OL.

Not sure exactly but the one's I know of are 81, 79, 78, and 1. I apologize if there are more.

But back to the topic - old #79 is a great example. He was unbelievable at DE for murvil for 2-3 years. But the college coaches wanted to make him a OL.

Would you please provide us with the players name and the NCAA D1 schools that they have already signed with?

A lot of the consistency of some programs is the right picks for assistants and their being allowed to handle their strong suits and expertise.  That was the one thing I had to give Coach Rankin.  He put together a VERY good staff and allowed them to actually Coach.  Another strength is these same head coaches kept the ENTIRE team busy and being COACHED the entire practice session.  Not just the first string with the rest just standing around scratching their tails while watching the first string.

Add to this the scheduling each practice session to actually practice each phase of the game.  Offense, defense, and SPECIAL teams EVERYDAY.

Having assistants who actually LISTEN to the players.  Sometimes the difference between a 10-0 team and a 0-10 teams is actually listening to the players and the second string and third string assistants.  You  know some of the 'volunteer' Coaches that may have seen something the rest have missed.  Just because a Coach is not paid and have 20 years experience does not mean they know NOTHING.

Would you please provide us with the players name and the NCAA D1 schools that they have already signed with?

I make it a habit to not list kids' names on here-sorry bout that. Though I did not attend any of the signings, I think the schools are UTC, Stanford, Tn Tech, and Air Force. #28 also signed with one of the military academies-I think army. Again, there may be others I don't know about. Very good class of seniors and juniors last year.

Edited by strongx