Wilson Central

broadcaster54

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever gets the job has a mess to deal with the next few years. Great kids, just no talent besides the 2 freshmen that played this year who will eventually be good high school players, sophomore class has had 7 different coaches since 6th grade. Best player on 8th grade team at West Wilson headed to Mt. Juliet. 7-8th grade feeder programs (Southside and West Wilson) will not be good this year. Both Lebanon and Mt. Juliet are doing a better job of developing younger kids. Not TB's fault, he could not get the coach at his largest feeder school to do anything but coach during his season. MJ middle school coaches have travel teams and open gyms all summer, Coach McDowell at Lebanon has his younger groups on the right track. Could be a good job, but it is going to take a commitment from the lower levels to get it back to where it was. I talked to a man this weekend at an AAU tournament in Lebanon who had a very good 5th grade boys team and he said that all of his kids were zoned to Central, but that the middle school (West Wilson) they are going to does not have a separate 6th grade program, unlike every other middle school in the county. They might play 7 or 8 games, but they practice with the 7-8th grade and don't get to do much in practice. MJMS played 24 6th grade games this past year and had their own separate practice times. Even if you have great players at the lower levels if they are not being developed properly they will fall behind. Central is a great school, with a good administration, but it is going to be VERY lean the next 4-5 years, unless they get lucky and have a couple of guys move in. Forget Ruppsrunt-Rupp himself would struggle. They need a younger guy who is not afraid to take his lumps the next few years, but will make it a priority to get his feeder programs on the same page. It is going to take a lot of work-if he wins 7 or 8 games next year he deserves Coach of the Year.

chief my friend...there are "homers" who are treated like outsiders...and outsiders who are treated like "homers"...all depends on the seat you happen to be sitting in...ha!

And whose politics are currently in charge. Sometimes you have to get a new school director to get your job back.

Only problem is what happens when your "guy" that got you there is now out also? Time to pack.

Wilson County reminds me of the Harper Valley PTA.

Rupp, I know what you are saying, but look at the big three sports in Wilson Co. How many are local coaches? Don't even bother with the middle schools. They are all from within. Who else would work for poverty wages?