Revolution of offenses today

fooseball96

I'm more of old school offensive guy. (Veer, wing-t, option, smashmouth etc.) But today it seems that more coaches have shyed away from that style. It seems that most systems now days run a spread. I guess it does better prepare the players somewhat for the next level. But my question is.....why have people went away from old school football. I hate going to games and seeing a 1st and 10 and teams come out in a shotgun. Any body else feel this way? What do u guys think? To me it seems offense have gotten more fancy yet more confusing. Just get in the end zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by fooseball96

I'm more of old school offensive guy. (Veer, wing-t, option, smashmouth etc.) But today it seems that more coaches have shyed away from that style. It seems that most systems now days run a spread. I guess it does better prepare the players somewhat for the next level. But my question is.....why have people went away from old school football. I hate going to games and seeing a 1st and 10 and teams come out in a shotgun. Any body else feel this way? What do u guys think? To me it seems offense have gotten more fancy yet more confusing. Just get in the end zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen. But my old school is the I-formation. I really like seeing a quality tailback being fed the ball and breaking the will of the defense. That is football to me. This spread stuff should be played at the local parks with flags on the hips.

Amen. But my old school is the I-formation. I really like seeing a quality tailback being fed the ball and breaking the will of the defense. That is football to me. This spread stuff should be played at the local parks with flags on the hips.

Right, I like the i-formation too. I was just giving examples. And I agree about the spread offenses lol. I've seen teams come out in a shotgun inside the 3 yd line. Its crazy

Edited by fooseball96

GOOD TOPIC FOOSE. ..IMO THE SPREAD OFFENSE IS THE FAVORITE FOR THE TEAMS WITH A GOOD QB THAT CAN THROW. AND THE COACHES WHO LIKE THE PRO-STYLE QB TO BE FEATURED.

THE VEER, OPTION, WINGT IS FOR THE TEAMS THAT DON'T HAVE A TRUE QB BUT ONE GOOD ENOUGH TO HAND THE BALL OFF OR TAKE OFF RUNNING HIMSELF. THIRD DOWN IS CRUCIAL IN THESE TYPE OF OFFENSES..I HAVE SEEN ALL WORK WITH THE RIGHT PERSONEL....IF YOU HAVE TEAM THAT CAN STOP THE RUN , THESE OFFENSES ARE INEFFECTIVE. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE NOT POPULAR AT THE NEXT LEVEL..GEORGIA TECH IS ONE OF FEW THAT RUN THE OPTION.

AND THE QB TAKES A BEATING SO YOU BETTER BE DEEP AT THAT POSITION.

WHAT MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM IS EVERYTIME I SEE A TEAM IN SHOTGUN IN THE REDZONE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE A RB WHO CAN POUND IT IN. THAT'S WHEN THE COACHES ARE TRYING TO BE SEXY...AND BLOW THE GAME.....I PERSONALLY LIKE THE I....RIGHT UP THE GUT OF THE DEFENSE ...

GOOD TOPIC FOOSE. ..IMO THE SPREAD OFFENSE IS THE FAVORITE FOR THE TEAMS WITH A GOOD QB THAT CAN THROW. AND THE COACHES WHO LIKE THE PRO-STYLE QB TO BE FEATURED.

THE VEER, OPTION, WINGT IS FOR THE TEAMS THAT DON'T HAVE A TRUE QB BUT ONE GOOD ENOUGH TO HAND THE BALL OFF OR TAKE OFF RUNNING HIMSELF. THIRD DOWN IS CRUCIAL IN THESE TYPE OF OFFENSES..I HAVE SEEN ALL WORK WITH THE RIGHT PERSONEL....IF YOU HAVE TEAM THAT CAN STOP THE RUN , THESE OFFENSES ARE INEFFECTIVE. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE NOT POPULAR AT THE NEXT LEVEL..GEORGIA TECH IS ONE OF FEW THAT RUN THE OPTION.

AND THE QB TAKES A BEATING SO YOU BETTER BE DEEP AT THAT POSITION.

WHAT MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM IS EVERYTIME I SEE A TEAM IN SHOTGUN IN THE REDZONE, ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE A RB WHO CAN POUND IT IN. THAT'S WHEN THE COACHES ARE TRYING TO BE SEXY...AND BLOW THE GAME.....I PERSONALLY LIKE THE I....RIGHT UP THE GUT OF THE DEFENSE ...

All good points passive.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen Cleveland come out in a shotgun inside the 3 yrd line with 2 good rbs and not get in. Did the same thing against oak ridge last season and could have won the game. I'm so glad we aren't running it anymore

Edited by fooseball96

HECK THE WINGT MADE ME DIZZY WITH ALL THAT MOVEMENT AND SWITCHING. THAT'S WHY EVERYONE HAS TO STAY WITH THEIR ASSIGNMENT AND IT CAN BE STOPPED.

BUT YOU BETTER HAVE A HALF WAY DECENT THROWING GAME IF 3RD DOWN DONT WORK.

I REMEMBER WEST QB WAS THROWING DUCKS IN THE GAME AGAINST HENRY WHEN THEY WERE PUT IN 3RD N LONG SITUATIONS. THEY PUT A LICK ON COTTRELL THAT HE DIDNT FORGET AND THAT TOOK AWAY THEIR BREAD AND BUTTER. WHAT DID WEST DO THE NEXT TIME??

THE QB HAD DECENT THROWS IN 3RD DOWN SITUATIONS AND COTTRELL WAS UNSTOPPABLE.

THAT'S A GAME WITH THE WAR OF THE WILLS..AND SOME FEROCIOUS DEFENSE GOING ON ON BOTH SIDES. ..WHICH I LIKE#LOP #NAILBITERS

a nail biter, to me, is when the teams have been going back and forth the whole game with scoring and you know the last team with the ball will probably win, unless they make a mistake like turning the ball over or getting a penalty. 

Modern day spread offenses trace their roots back to those old school offenses you mentioned, they just dress them up and put the QB in the gun. A common misconception is that the shotgun offense can't be a smash mouth style of offense. Anyone who has watched auburn or Ohio state over the past few seasons wouldn't call their offenses soft.