Freshmen on the Varsity field.

secondtoone

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are everyones thoughts?   Are they mentally or physically ready?  Safety of the kids?

Depends on the kids.  During the 2014 season Catholic started 4 freshmen most of the year.  They played well as a sophomores and are ready to take off as juniors.  This past season they started a freshman lineman and he was named a freshman All-American and already has offers from UT, Vanderbilt, Florida State, South Carolina, Illinois and bunch of other schools,

I agree it depends on the kid. Some are ready, most aren't. Hence freshman and JV teams. Some kids peak their freshman year, shine on the freshmen team, but never really get much better. Others look and play like freshmen but become studs by senior year. And even more rare are the ones who could start for the varsity the day they begin 9th grade.

So many different things in play when it comes to kids that age.  

I agree it depends on the kid. Some are ready, most aren't. Hence freshman and JV teams. Some kids peak their freshman year, shine on the freshmen team, but never really get much better. Others look and play like freshmen but become studs by senior year. And even more rare are the ones who could start for the varsity the day they begin 9th grade.

So many different things in play when it comes to kids that age.

I 100% agree

The division that the freshmen is going to participate in has as much to do with playing time as the player. Playing against Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, Maryville, Oak Ridge, etc...every week will take it's toll on any player but especially a freshmen.

• 2 weeks later...

The division that the freshmen is going to participate in has as much to do with playing time as the player. Playing against Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, Maryville, Oak Ridge, etc...every week will take it's toll on any player but especially a freshmen.

I agree with an earlier poster. It depends upon the freshman. Whitehaven started SEVERAL freshman a couple of years ago. A practice that isn't new at Whitehaven. Most of those young men were linemen to be more exact, but not limited to. Whitehaven plays in 6A and they don't play cupcakes. They have also been going deep into the playoffs these past few years. Those young men were prepared and scrutinized before they suited up. The coaches do a good job of talent, skill, and maturity evaluation before they put a young man on the field of play. Whitehaven has plenty of depth at every position, it's not like they played these young men due to lack of numbers either. They won their positions fair and square. Now, you have to realize, they do also alternate guys to keep them fresh as well, so there is that.

The whole crux of the matter is that at Whitehaven, the best man plays ... not just the guys with senority. If you are a 9th grader thats physically mature for your age and you can buy-in to what the coaching staff presents, then you can play, granted, you have to be able to compete. Everybody knows the deal. You can be a senior and ride the pine and just play on special teams, especialy if you want to play the part of knucklehead or just plain get out worked.

Edited by kwc

Depends on the player. Some can't, some can. A good example would be freshman qb from last season (10th grade in 2015) Alontae Taylor from Coffee County. He lead the nation in rushing yards for a freshman and has allready had offers from Vandy, Troy, and Georgia Tech. I also heard tonight UT has been to visit. 

You can be a skill player and start as a freshman much easier than an Offensive or defense lineman. Most lineman are just not as physically strong as an upperclassman. You could have a RB, receiver or DB who rely more on speed.

However, even with a freshman RB, receiver, or DB, there hasn't been any freshman I have seen lately who was playing because they can hit like a senior.

You can be a skill player and start as a freshman much easier than an Offensive or defense lineman. Most lineman are just not as physically strong as an upperclassman. You could have a RB, receiver or DB who rely more on speed.

However, even with a freshman RB, receiver, or DB, there hasn't been any freshman I have seen lately who was playing because they can hit like a senior.

Rod Smith for Milan graduated in '04. He started his freshman year at rb and db. His senior year put up almost 2000 yds rushing and 40tds. Won Mr. Football and went on to play for Memphis. Kid was a beast even as a freshman.

It certainly does depend on the kid:  Several factors.  1. physical maturity 2. age 3. attitude. 

One loophole I wish the TSSAA would fix/prevent is parents from neighboring states, holding their kids back 1 to 2 years (!!) and then sending them across the state line to play as a "freshman" until they are too old in TN, then transferring back to their home state to finish their "career".  Pretty solid rumor that Dobyns Bennett is getting a freshman from Gate City VA, this year, that was held back two years, soley for sports.  I hear he's driving in 8th grade.  haha!  He will be to old to play as a senior here, so he will simply skip back to Gate City.  Gate City, in general has been notorious for holding kids back for years and years.  Its a shame on the parents and all the schools in both states. 

It certainly does depend on the kid: Several factors. 1. physical maturity 2. age 3. attitude.

One loophole I wish the TSSAA would fix/prevent is parents from neighboring states, holding their kids back 1 to 2 years (!!) and then sending them across the state line to play as a "freshman" until they are too old in TN, then transferring back to their home state to finish their "career". Pretty solid rumor that Dobyns Bennett is getting a freshman from Gate City VA, this year, that was held back two years, soley for sports. I hear he's driving in 8th grade. haha! He will be to old to play as a senior here, so he will simply skip back to Gate City. Gate City, in general has been notorious for holding kids back for years and years. Its a shame on the parents and all the schools in both states.

What is gate city?

My son started for covington this year as a freshman offensive tackle. He is 6'2 and 276. He physically wasn't manhandled as much as I thought he would but he wasn't prepared for the speed of the linebackers he was trying to block compared to middle school ball.He was 14 last season and I will say there is a big difference in 17 and 18 year olds than him but I think it will benefit him these next 3 years getting that early experience.

Edited by Jmm475