2015-2016 District 3 & 4 class A

Cookevegas3

How does this region stack up in a way too early rankings (pre-summer)?  Maybe talk about where everyone is going for camp and how each team did as the summer goes......

District 3

1. Meigs - returns a very good team that lost I believe only 1 from last year.

2. Grace - Arnold will be a JR, but they do have to replace Sheppard and Kelley.

3. Tellico - I believe they return their leading scorer but do lose some too.

4. Harriman - Big question mark.  Could move up or down, just waiting on dust to settle from recent events.

5. Rockwood - They are always coached well, do they have enough talent to move up?

6t. Greenback - Don't know much about them.

6t. Midway - They lost Cawood, so who steps up with him moving on.

unknown - Concord - Are they in now and what do they have?

District 4

1. Oakdale - returns everyone for a second year in a row, finally have SRs and JRs leading team.

2. Coalfield - They will still be a little young, but a year older for those returning youngs that played.

3. Oliver Springs - Murray is back with a few other guys who played.

4. Wartburg - They are similar to Coalfield with underclassmen leading the way. 

5. Jellico - Bowlin is gone, but they do have some pieces that could make a decent team.

6. Oneida -  They still may be a year or two away from contention.

6. Sunbright - Freels can play but does he get enough help to move up?

Just getting the ball rolling, feel free to disagree....I expect it actually.

Hard to pick against grace in d3, just too many advantages there. They and meigs easily the favs. Coalfield is likely the team to beat in d4, they let grace off the hook late in region game last year. Lost a good player and a decent contributor, but will gain another really big post with good skills in the Carroll kid...a n area they were short last year. Three freshman played a lot last year...a fourth played some as well. They also have the best player in district, that never hurts. I think they have more upside than oakdale.... Certainly oakdale has a good shot though, can't fault that pick at all. Smith is a fine player and if the other kid will shoot less/pass more.... They'll be very solid. Hope to see Jackson on the court a lot more at point for them. Nobody else really stands out....in either district, mostly just not very good. This might be the year d4 gets past d3 in region... Who knows....?

District 3:

1. Meigs: They lose Baker kid but keep everything else. 4 starters return as well as contributing subs  (i.e. they have Zy Moore and Meadows with supporting players).

2. Grace: Hard to bet against private schools that usually seem to "find" good players to replace good players.

3. Tellico Plains: Return 4 starters (3 of 4 leading scorers) with only point guard having graduated.

4. Rockwood: 2 transfers from Karns (I believe correct school) plus Miller kid. They will need better guard play to finish higher.

5. Harriman: Gresham and Witherspoon gone. Lack of size will hurt. Does Joe Pace return since his AAU coach was terminated? If so, Harriman has shot at 4th place.

6. Greenback: Return their big man but they need more pieces.

7. Midway: Cawood and Edwards both gone. No real height and team will be young.

Cannot speak to District 4.

There is no edit function that I can find for my earlier post so I will post a correction here: (Guess once you log out you lose the function?)

8. Concord Christian. This is their 1st year in district competition and they are a new program, having now played for 2 years while getting their feet wet. From what I have seen so far they will struggle until they are able to establish their program in the years to come.

Edited by CrazyEd

I agree Coalfield has plenty of upside with all the youth, but are they ready to take it away from Oakdale who is seasoned and returns everyone from a team that finished #1?  Coalfield will be there in the thick of it, my big question is there another team or 2 that can hang with Oakdale and Coalfield in 4A?

I like Meigs as of now as the team to beat in the region, with Grace, Coalfield, and Oakdale fighting for second.  

Can anyone give me information about Harriman? What kind of team and talent do they have? How is the administration in regard to coaches. Is it a program where the parents dictate things or are they supportive? How is there football program? Don't know much about them other then what's posted on here.

Edited by QSouth89

Can anyone give me information about Harriman? What kind of team and talent do they have? How is the administration in regard to coaches. Is it a program where the parents dictate things or are they supportive? How is there football program? Don't know much about them other then what's posted on here.

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/prepextra/harriman-boys-basketball-investigated-for-alleged-violation-of-tssaa-rules_06282520

• 3 weeks later...

With summer camps done, let's here some feedback.....

I saw Wartburg, Oliver Springs, Coalfield and I feel all 3 will be competing for the top spot along with Oakdale. Coalfield went 6-2 and OS 7-1 at TTU against similar opponents. Wartburg's fast pace system looked good. Anyone have any info on other teams?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Oakdale should be the team to beat in 4A, if they can keep attitude issues outta the way. Coalfield will be right there but they lost their glue guy in Lee from last year so I think it could be a rocky start for them, plus they usually make a football playoff run so their guys are usually are a few weeks behind. Wartburg fast pace system will always keep them right there in the mix, always capable of making a run, never count them out with best coach in the district . Jellico will have rebuilding this year. Oliver Springs will be good with Murray but guard play could hurt them. Oneida and Sunbright will battle for last, Freels is good but not that good. I know nothing about 3A.

1)Oakdale

2)Wartburg-coaching wins out over coalfield

3)Coalfield

4)Jellico

5)O.S.

6/7)Oneida/Sunbright

• 1 month later...