TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

Saw an article in the Tennessean about the meeting next month. Looks like an end to the Upwards 32 might end before it gets started. I said before 2 years may be the length of this current system. Total split, performance based classification, public/privates being put back together then separated for playoffs, open zones, or keeping it like it is all on the table.

Some states have the championship bump. You win state, you bump up a cclasss for two years. Then you can choose to stay or be reclassified back to your enroLlment size. I hope for a total split of privates and publics, but let them play in regular season in non confrence games. Do a 1.5 for schools that are open zoned. And go back to only 4 classes for public schools. 0-500 1a. 501-800 2a. 801-1199 3a. 1200-up 4a. 2 classes for private schools, and a 1.5 multiplier for the ones giving athletic schoolarships. 6 state champions is enough.

Some states have the championship bump. You win state, you bump up a cclasss for two years. Then you can choose to stay or be reclassified back to your enroLlment size. I hope for a total split of privates and publics, but let them play in regular season in non confrence games. Do a 1.5 for schools that are open zoned. And go back to only 4 classes for public schools. 0-500 1a. 501-800 2a. 801-1199 3a. 1200-up 4a. 2 classes for private schools, and a 1.5 multiplier for the ones giving athletic schoolarships. 6 state champions is enough.

I just don't see them adding a 1.5 to open zoned schools. Way to many 4a teams would be in the state if that happend. How do you think chucked doak, west greene, etc. Would fair against Maryville, Oakridge, etc. Because with that mutiplier there would be alot of games that could be 70 to 0 at half

Let's be completely honest. 6 classes for public schools in this state is too many. The TSSAA did a huge disservice to the public when they looked at more $$$ than the product on the field. I have no problem with the current system since there is a huge disparity with school sizes except than the large schools just because they are large get an automatic qualifier for the playoffs. Regular season games need to mean more than just seeding. 0-10 teams do not deserve another game while some 6-4 teams in other classes cannot get in. Cut those 32 teams to 16 for the playoffs and you have a great system. And I feel for Bradley Co in this situation.

I just don't see them adding a 1.5 to open zoned schools. Way to many 4a teams would be in the state if that happend. How do you think chucked doak, west greene, etc. Would fair against Maryville, Oakridge, etc. Because with that mutiplier there would be alot of games that could be 70 to 0 at half

or a 1.2 multiplier, there has to be something done to try an equalize zoned and open zoned schools.

LOWERman is open zone. Livingston Academy is open zone. Most schools in Tennessee are. If they don't take advantage of it, that's their fault.

There are probably more open zoned schools than strictly closed zone. With many schools it is a matter of survival in order to stay open because they have way more space than students. Just a result of the baby boomers kids growing up and moving to different pastures plus annexation by many cities. You can't blame the school systems for doing things like this to keep their schools open.

Looks like an end to the Upwards 32 might end before it gets started.

"Childress said he will request a special-called July meeting for the Legislative Council to decide what it wants to do. A change would not happen until the next classification period beginning with the 2017-18 school year".

Based on the 4 plans, I look for 1 of 2 being the most realistic for happening. Either they bring them all back together during the regular season with a total split during playoffs. Or a total split. What I took away from the article that stands out to me is how the wording has changed. Not just in Tn but nationwide. Boundary vs Non-Boundary. With this wording it could be possible to put publics with non-boundaries with all privates. I'm just wondering if this really is what we are headed towards.

They need it going or it will be 2020, at least. There doesn't need to be any more debate on if something should happen or why.

Total split. 4 classes in football, basketball, baseball, softball. Other sports not as many classes due to fewer teams.

Division II-2 classes, cut at around 500. Brentwood Academy, Ensworth and the like would very likely move up into a higher class.

"Open zone" classifying sounds like a good idea but it doesn't need to result, for example, Class A having 40 teams and the higher ones having twice that many. If there is a bump up for those teams, redivide the classes with equal numbers.

One more thing-I don't object to the idea of classifying by Strength even if brings back the current Division II teams. It would be tough to get it started but after the first run (I'd go with 2 year periods) it would begin equalling out.

One big issue would be basketball as most schools have girl-boy doubleheaders. Some schools might have teams with completely different schedules.

"Childress said he will request a special-called July meeting for the Legislative Council to decide what it wants to do. A change would not happen until the next classification period beginning with the 2017-18 school year".

Exactly what I meant. Only looks like 2 years with this plan before it changes unlike other plans with more time given to them.