TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

I understand were your coming from that you can't please everyone. Just didn't know exactly what you would classify as rural or not. Not a bad little plan but like always you will have people upset

I guess that would be up the TSSAA to decide. It's going to be interesting to say the least

While I think being open zone helps Maryville some. Having George Quarles and his staff is Maryville's biggest advantage.  If I had a choice to see Maryville with closed zone or leave them open but lose George Quarles and his staff. I believe I would choose George and his staff.

Maryville being open zoned sure didn't help them when they went 20 years without a championship. I saw several 5-5 seasons in that time frame. I also saw a 4-6 team in 1990. The record books show a win vs William Blount by forfeit. William Blount beat Maryville that year 31-0. William Blount had an ineligible player that year. Bad thing is from what I remember the kid never played anyway.

They mostly play other metro schools who are not the best competition. Look at the past when they have played other non metro schools they do not fare as well. I agree they are a quality program with a good coach but I think it is wrong to put them in the same category with those teams that were listed. Only time will tell if they are on the rise or if last year was the exception. They will have a much tougher time with the Sumner Co schools just like they had with the Williamson Co ones a few years back. We will see I guess.

I understand your point. If you look over a 15 year time period Hillsboro has made the state title game a lot. Additionally of the metro or Nashville city football programs they are the best and attract kids to their school and athletic programs. The context of the conversation was recruiting and classification. They will continue to draw talent and have resources to compete for titles. I think you will find that this season was not a flash in the pan but I'm not a burro supporter just sharing what I've heard.

I understand your point. If you look over a 15 year time period Hillsboro has made the state title game a lot. Additionally of the metro or Nashville city football programs they are the best and attract kids to their school and athletic programs. The context of the conversation was recruiting and classification. They will continue to draw talent and have resources to compete for titles. I think you will find that this season was not a flash in the pan but I'm not a burro supporter just sharing what I've heard.

I see your point but in my opinion they were grouped with traditional powers that rarely have subpar seasons and I know they have had some recently. If that is the case in regards to drawing talent to those prospective schools, I seriously doubt anybody is moving in to Trousdale Co or Milan. Those schools have great home grown talent.

Unless things have dramatically changed, I wasn't impressed the two times that I got to see Hillsboro play in person at all. All speed, but not enough size to compete. First time was the year after their last state championship. Was a shutout that night. But I guess we will see this year. Look past it all you want l, but by putting them in such an elite group like was done earlier, I just don't understand. They are going to have a TOUGH time even getting into the top three of their own region this year. Playing Beech, Gallatin, & H-ville. Which they have historically played bad against in recent past.

Edited by thegreatone36

Does anyone really feel that any of the plans that have been proposed would pass the Board of Control? Fairness has nothing to do with what the majority of TSSAA member schools are trying to achieve. They are looking for every advantage possible and not what is best for the organization as a whole. Just like my pipe dream proposal to place the D1 & D2 schools back together in four classifications for football. It will never happen because I know of no schools that would be placed in AAAA that would want to play Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, McCallie, Montgomery Bell Academy, etc...on a regular basis or even in the playoffs. The TSSAA is going to vote to split and the private schools will form their own association where they are able to establish the rules to fit their own individual needs. Eventually, I see the private schools forming the old Mid South Conference being established again where teams from multiple states compete for the conference championship.

Edited by cbg

Many private schools could not have multiple out of state trips. Stay in Division II with all private schools in, and each area would be able to have enough teams in a DII, smaller class.

From what I have been told the D2 schools do not want to travel out of state multiple times each year. They would like to play one "showcase" type of game out of state and then play the majority of their games within 50 miles of the campus. They are forced to seek out of state competition because many of the large public schools refuse to play them. What would happen if the public schools were forced to travel from Chattanooga to Nashville for a regular season region game? Edited by cbg

From what I have been told the D2 schools do not want to travel out of state multiple times each year. They would like to play one "showcase" type of game out of state and then play the majority of their games within 50 miles of the campus. They are forced to seek out of state competition because many of the large public schools refuse to play them. What would happen if the public schools were forced to travel from Chattanooga to Nashville for a regular season region game?

Its their own fault dating back to the Brentwood Aca days in AA. Look at how many kids are on financial aid from the privates. How many of those play sports? Quite a few. Privates give great education but very few go after the gifted kids they go after athletes. It has been an uneven playing field and nobody blames the publics from wanting to play them. They created it so they can deal with it.

It amazes me that all these complicated scenario's appear as alternative plans that "might" work. Most include vague terms like open zone urban public's, and such, that TSSAA could never, ever police. Why not just keep it simple...privates in their own class and publics in another? Private schools select their students from a large pool of applicants( from a much larger area), and are able to cut off enrollment at a specific number. Public schools enrollment is controlled by the number of school age children within the busing area. This difference alone creates an insurmountable advantage for the privates within the rules as they are. Do all privates take advantage...no, but the advantage is there just the same, and some definitely do manipulate the advantage to the fullest extent. I just don't get how it could be that confusing when there is such a built in line of division to follow.