TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

If you throw all the factors that you mentioned for the one classification with the best teams, you would have to do the same all across the board. Truth be told, that just wouldn't work.

Sometimes in life, it's actually on the teams themselves to step up and beat the powerhouses.

You'd have several classes just one division including Ensworth etc. Teams doing well in the lower classes would eventually get a shot.

Not sure if open zone classifying will work. Some may be open zone but get no incoming athletes or maybe 1 or 2 a decade. Do they move into a district with a program that gets in several a year or a magnet/private with no zone.

Rural/urban classifying has been looked at briefly before and should have been on the table.

Edited by Indian

You'd have several classes just one division including Ensworth etc. Teams doing well in the lower classes would eventually get a shot.

Not sure if open zone classifying will work. Some may be open zone but get no incoming athletes or maybe 1 or 2 a decade. Do they move into a district with a program that gets in several a year or a magnet/private with no zone.

Rural/urban classifying has been looked at briefly before and should have been on the table.

I'm afraid you're right. Open zone classifying just wouldn't work. As for rural/urban, Alcoa is pretty rural. We've got the Knoxville airport and a chain-restaurant strip along with the aluminum plant, but that's about it. We would likely fall into the rural category.

Just as a "what if"...

If you favor a past performance way of classification---

and you used Sonny Moore's end of the year 2015 rankings---

and you proposed 4 classifications with 84 teams in each classification---

and you wanted to keep district size to 7 or 8  teams---

middle Tennessee would have 28 teams

District A

MBA

CPA

Hillsboro

Rossview

Beech

Lipscomb

Nashville Christian

District B

Hendersonville

Pearl-Cohn

Ravenwood

McGavock

Mt. Juliet

BGA

Westmoreland

District C

Oakland

Blackman

Riverdale

Lavergne

Smyrna

Siegel

Marshall Co

District D

Ensworth

Brentwood Academy

Centennial

Franklin

Father Ryan

Independence

Overton

I know the geography is not perfect so please feel free to explain other possible scenarios.

Closed zones:  I'm sure it will be real easy to prove where kids live if closed zones becomes a rule to create a division (sarcasm).  Look how easy it has been for Little League Baseball.  LLBB requires three resident source documents for every player to prove where he/she lives.  The parents and coaches fake documents and several times teams have forfeited tournament games.  Heck, last year's LLBB national champion was stripped of it title because of out of zone players.  I'm sure as efficient as the TSSAA is, closed zones will be easlily enforced (more sarcasm).

There are lots more open zones that folks want to admit or realize.  In some systems, such a Blount County, if you provide your own transporation you can choose Heritage or William Blount, even though they each have a zone.  If Farragut offers Russian and your Knox County school doesn't, you can transfer to Farragut take Russian (and play baseball, of course).  Or if you school is labled a failing school, such as AE in Knoxville, you can choose to go anywhere (such as Fulton) in the Knox System as long as you provide your own transportation. 

I can see where a closed zone division would be lots of fun for the TSSAA.  Let the accusations of where kids really live start flying.  Heck the Maryville City Schools' adminstration has problems proving where kids live with regards to collecting tuition.

Edited by OldRebel2

Using the same criteria as above---

How would East Tennessee be divided?

1. Maryville
  2. Fulton
  3. Knox West
  4. Alcoa
  5. Science Hill
  6. Greeneville
  7. Knox Catholic
  8. South Doyle
  9. Sevier Co.
  10. Oak Ridge
  11. Sullivan South
  12. Webb
  13. Loudon
  14. Hardin Valley
  15. D-B
  16. Farragut
  17. Tennessee High
  18. Elizabethton
  19. Mo. East
  20. Anderson Co.
  21. Mo. West
  22. CAK
  23. Campbell Co
  24. Clinton
  25. Livingston Acad. (would they go East?)

I am not as familiar with that area and who is closest to who.

I'm afraid you're right. Open zone classifying just wouldn't work. As for rural/urban, Alcoa is pretty rural. We've got the Knoxville airport and a chain-restaurant strip along with the aluminum plant, but that's about it. We would likely fall into the rural category.

Of course Alcoa is against a modifer or moving into a division with privates.