Lake Co looking for a head coach

mrbigster

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assumming with Coach Johnson stepping down on his own,will still stay in an admin. position.So I'm thinking a couple scenarios could happen here.His broher,Ricky Newsome his assisant at the high school and middle school coach gets the job if he is interested and moves up to the high school.My reasoning is because he has been at the middle school quite a while,has had winning records every year practically and knows the system and the young ladies.His wife is also a teacher in the Lake Co system and his daughter a standout upcoming 8th grader that will help the program in a few years as Lake Co has  a couple promising freshmen and 1 sophomore already at the high school.Plus they have an incoming freashman that will also start this upcoming season.That's if he is interested.The other scenario I could see would be Coach Newsome stay at the middle school as head coach  and have long time friend Spencer Hoffman take over the program andCoach Newsome be his assistant at the high school.If Spencer is interested and Coach Newsome doesnt want to move to the high school as head coach.Or maybe see if Spencer or Newsome either one,maybe the boys job and the other taking the girls position.With both coaching girls so long,not sure if that would interest either of them.But would get Spencer close to home and  Coach Newsome,Coach Johnson,Spencer being great friends and played sooftball together along with Kim's husband Paul.So could see something happening along these lines.Could also see them not being interested and hiring outside .Also,Coach Coach Decker have an inkling to maybe get back into coaching the girls?

Edited by mrbigster

Surprised the boys team made such a quick hire and not the girls, especially if Ricky Newsome is interested, And if he is interested and looked over as long as he has been at the middle school and being high school assistant for a long time, would seem to be a bit of injustice I would think in his mind would be like a slap in the face.Plus his wife is a teacher, earning teacher of the year honors and his daughter a standout at middle school.Interesting to see if they hire outside if he is interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent heard anything official.I heard Coach Newsome has interest in the job but also wants to coach the middle school which is understandable with his daughter being an 8th grader.Could be some nights when they both would play,but probably just a couple nights.Would think if they were leaning to him,would have already done so with him being at Lake Co for so many years and knowing the girls.and naming a boys coach right away.So they may be looking outside the system.

Looks like more to this story.Wondering if Coach Johnson actually stepped down on his own.And if he did,would think Coach Newsome was not going to get the high school job and maybe stepped down also.Would think Coach Newsome would have stayed coach at the middle school with his daugher being an 8th grader and best player on the team.Believe a transfer to Dyer Co,Obion Central,are probably in the upcoming school year.

Looks like more to this story.Wondering if Coach Johnson actually stepped down on his own.And if he did,would think Coach Newsome was not going to get the high school job and maybe stepped down also.Would think Coach Newsome would have stayed coach at the middle school with his daugher being an 8th grader and best player on the team.Believe a transfer to Dyer Co,Obion Central,are probably in the upcoming school year.

that is huge..thanks for the updates..who got the boys job?

Didnt know Coach Newsome's wife wasnt at the middle school anymore.Was voted the teacher of the year.Was told by a teacher last night that Coach Newsome could have had the high school job but wanted to coach the high school,middle school,and softball team but they didnt want to have him coach all the teams so he resigned.Just what the teacher told me.Said his wife was teaching in dyersburg now.So I'm figuring his daughter will be at Dyersburg

I heard the hire is all but official. Richard Ritz, a boys assistant at Dresden and good friend of Jeff Ward, assistant at Dyersburg, is going to be the new girls coach. From everything I have heard he is a very good hire. Its weird that both coaches for Lake Co. have had some buzz around Dyersburg, but everything I have heard has been good about both. I think there is greatly needed stability at Lake Co. now in both programs.