Pre-season Poll: Class 6A Region 1

CoachT

Pre-Season Rankings  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the top team for the region in 2015.

• Bearden
    • Bradley Central
    • Dobyns Bennett
    • Hardin Valley
    • Jefferson County
    • Maryville
    • Science Hill
    • William Blount

That makes sense. I was wondering where all of the stellar athletes that are typically playing for William Blount each year were...

Man,

I'm curious about you. Because I have seen you take shots at the Govs for a few years now. Who is your team? I can't help but wonder why a random guy is taking shots at a team like WB. I don't know what part you saw yesterday but I would be willing to bet that you didn't see very much. When I watched the Govs we were playing very good defense and the teams we were up against didn't complete many passes, much less score. Anyone who knows anything about WB knows that our defense has sucked the past few years, there is no nicer way to put it. But our defense was pretty solid yesterday and dominated Cleveland in a scrimmage in the spring. This team is improved and will surprise people this year. And yes, we were missing an upcoming junior 6'3 receiver that is very good and has all the tools to play at the next level. We also have a big fullback that can flat out run guys over that you didn't see yesterday because it was "passing league" :P . WB always has some talent and its not any different this year. If you think you can tell how good a team is by watching for a few minutes in a 7 on 7 scrimmage you are an idiot. I have seen rinky dink teams beat championship caliber squads in 7 on 7. Maryville has lost some 7 on 7's and scrimmages over the years. How has that turned out for them? :huh:

Edited by Governors91

DB finishes second, Maryville U 1st, Indians have line questions but loaded at rb and qb is very athletic and throws well. O Line still looking for people to stand up take charge, there is talent there. Linebackers and D-line should be greatly improved and could be the strong point of this team with some recent additions and M-LB returning. Still looking for one more piece from west of the Mississippi. Roll Tribe!

Man,

I'm curious about you. Because I have seen you take shots at the Govs for a few years now. Who is your team? I can't help but wonder why a random guy is taking shots at a team like WB. I don't know what part you saw yesterday but I would be willing to bet that you didn't see very much. When I watched the Govs we were playing very good defense and the teams we were up against didn't complete many passes, much less score. Anyone who knows anything about WB knows that our defense has sucked the past few years, there is no nicer way to put it. But our defense was pretty solid yesterday and dominated Cleveland in a scrimmage in the spring. This team is improved and will surprise people this year. And yes, we were missing an upcoming junior 6'3 receiver that is very good and has all the tools to play at the next level. We also have a big fullback that can flat out run guys over that you didn't see yesterday because it was "passing league" :P . WB always has some talent and its not any different this year. If you think you can tell how good a team is by watching for a few minutes in a 7 on 7 scrimmage you are an idiot. I have seen rinky dink teams beat championship caliber squads in 7 on 7. Maryville has lost some 7 on 7's and scrimmages over the years. How has that turned out for them? :huh:

No problem with anybody.  Just my observations Gov.

No problem with anybody. Just my observations Gov.

Don't BS the BSer. It was clear by the way you said what you said that you were taking a shot at the Govs. It would have been one thing if you had said the Govs didn't look impressive to you but you added in the sarcastic comment about all the stellar athletes. And it's also a stretch to assume a team is going to finish at the bottom of the region based off a 7 on 7. And how would you come to that conclusion anyway? You said the Govs didn't have any athletes? Well how come the teams they were up against had very few complete passes? That's saying something in a 7 on 7. The QB has all day to throw and if guys can't get open at some point when they have that much time that should tell you the defense is doing something right. And also like I said we were without our star receiver, so that explains why our offense struggled. If you take any teams star out they are going to struggle on offense. Edited by Governors91

Don't BS the BSer. It was clear by the way you said what you said that you were taking a shot at the Govs. It would have been one thing if you had said the Govs didn't look impressive to you but you added in the sarcastic comment about all the stellar athletes. And it's also a stretch to assume a team is going to finish at the bottom of the region based off a 7 on 7. And how would you come to that conclusion anyway? You said the Govs didn't have any athletes? Well how come the teams they were up against had very few complete passes? That's saying something in a 7 on 7. The QB has all day to throw and if guys can't get open at some point when they have that much time that should tell you the defense is doing something right. And also like I said we were without our star receiver, so that explains why our offense struggled. If you take any teams star out they are going to struggle on offense.

I mentioned when I first posted that I knew it was 7 on 7 and that I was just making observations based off of what I saw man.  It sounds like you live in this dream world thinking that the Governors are going to be good; competing in the top half of the conference, and the fact that I have come in making simple statements wakes you back into reality, causing you to be extremely defensive.  Yes, that sarcastic comment was aimed to poke at you because it seems like you have no grip on the fact that WB just doesn't have the horses to play with the top 6 teams in this conference yet.  Is Shadowens a great coach? The numbers say yes.  Does that translate into immediate success in terms of wins and losses? Not always.  Instead of throwing out excuses like, "our best playmaker wasn't there" (which I'm sure is the case), insinuating that you have big time athletes to compete with the big boys, maybe you should instead mention that you are much more disciplined, or won't shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers, or the kids will be in great condition, or they know how to work much harder, or they will lay it all on the line for this coach.  I feel like from your posts, that you really have no grasp on the reality that William Blount just isn't very good and it will take time to build something with real substance there.  In due time, with the right coaching staff around him, and the right foundation, I have no doubt that William Blount could turn into a competitive program.  With all that said, I saw what I saw, I don't know who was missing who from any of the teams I watched, and I stated my observations.  Good luck this season though. I would encourage you to stay patient and come back to reality before you post on here.

Edited by BigPoppaPump

Big poppa pump,

Where were you last year? I harped about our lack of discipline and turnovers all year. I have also been praising the fact that the players appeared much more disciplined in the spring. The only thing we lacked last year was discipline and coaching on the defensive side of the ball. If you saw our defense last year it would have been reasonable for you to assume we didn't even work on it in practice. But we look much better on that side of the ball so far. And we will have a better idea of where we stand when Ooltewah comes to town in August for the scrimmage. Having said that..... The Govs are definitely improved on defense... It's a night and day difference, that much is already clear. And I'm guessing our offense will be about the same as last year with less mental errors and stupid turnovers. Maybe a little less talent on that side of the ball but hey! If it comes with less turnovers I will take it! If our offense can avoid turning the ball over this year we will be very hard to beat. And talk about strength of schedule? We played two state champions and a 4A team that made it to the semis along with a few other solid teams last year. It ain't gonna get much tougher than that.

Edited by Governors91

DB should have a very good backfield but I would rather be loaded on the offensive line. A very good offensive line can make a average backfield look like all stars.

I'd have to completely agree.I think our backs are very good but we could still work on some things.We have a mobile offensive line but not big and deep at all.Our defensive line has got a lot of tweaking but I think there is no question that our linebackers could be the strength on that side.Not having J Holt is a killer and will hurt in the db area.It doesn't matter how good your athletes are if they don't know where to go and Holt was great at getting the defense set.

I mentioned when I first posted that I knew it was 7 on 7 and that I was just making observations based off of what I saw man. It sounds like you livemetn this dream world thinking that the Governors are going to be good; competing in the top half of the conference, and the fact that I have come in making simple statements wakes you back into reality, causing you to be extremely defensive. Yes, that sarcastic comment was aimed to poke at you because it seems like you have no grip on the fact that WB just doesn't have the horses to play with the top 6 teams in this conference yet. Is Shadowens a great coach? The numbers say yes. Does that translate into immediate success in terms of wins and losses? Not always. Instead of throwing out excuses like, "our best playmaker wasn't there" (which I'm sure is the case), insinuating that you have big time athletes to compete with the big boys, maybe you should instead mention that you are much more disciplined, or won't shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and turnovers, or the kids will be in great condition, or they know how to work much harder, or they will lay it all on the line for this coach. I feel like from your posts, that you really have no grasp on the reality that William Blount just isn't very good and it will take time to build something with real substance there. In due time, with the right coaching staff around him, and the right foundation, I have no doubt that William Blount could turn into a competitive program. With all that said, I saw what I saw, I don't know who was missing who from any of the teams I watched, and I stated my observations. Good luck this season though. I would encourage you to stay patient and come back to reality before you post on here.

Scott Steiner, I see you've met blount county's "paasiveaggressive"

DB should have a very good backfield but I would rather be loaded on the offensive line. A very good offensive line can make a average backfield look like all stars.

I've seen it work both ways.. a good back can also make all-conference out of average linemen. Sensabaugh and Casey both put up good numbers behind what imo was a average line by DB standards...Coach Christian will get them going...

You must have made a mistake either here or on the poll where you voted for DB. Anyway, Science Hill may not take Maryville this year, but they will certainly run their streak against DB to 4....or is it 5? 2nd or 3rd and above DB seems a likely finish. Coach Carter, who is undoubtedly the best football coach in Upper East Tennessee, will have them ready.

You are 100% correct. Clark is a has been. I still say this will be a 6-4 +/-1 season for DB. Make me eat my words.