A legend has been lost.

REBELRON

I saw where former Central Coach Joel Helton passed away. Joel Helton was a really good coach.  Central and Maryville had some battles from 1999-2005. A lot of close games during that timeframe. Heard some funny stories about Coach Helton from people I know. I heard he liked George Quarles a lot and loved to pick on him.  One guy who worked at Central for years told me that when George met Coach Helton at midfield one year Coach Helton told George this. " If you want to impress me with your coaching take the Gibbs job and lead them to a State Title" "We all know how you recruit players to Maryville"

My nephew coached 1 year with Coach Helton. He said Coach Helton was always calling George up and aggravating him about something. Always heard George and Joel Helton had a great relationship. Prayers to the Helton family.

I saw where former Central Coach Joel Helton passed away. Joel Helton was a really good coach.  Central and Maryville had some battles from 1999-2005. A lot of close games during that timeframe. Heard some funny stories about Coach Helton from people I know. I heard he liked George Quarles a lot and loved to pick on him.  One guy who worked at Central for years told me that when George met Coach Helton at midfield one year Coach Helton told George this. " If you want to impress me with your coaching take the Gibbs job and lead them to a State Title" "We all know how you recruit players to Maryville"

My nephew coached 1 year with Coach Helton. He said Coach Helton was always calling George up and aggravating him about something. Always heard George and Joel Helton had a great relationship. Prayers to the Helton family.

My prayers go out for Coach Helton's family and friends. He was a great,great coach

RIP!A very good coach.

Coach Helton kept Central as a top program for the years that he was there. I will always remember the games with Oak Ridge during the late 80s and early 90s, including the greatest game ever played, the 42-41 Oak Ridge overtime win in the 1991 SemiFinals.  There was never a crowd like that or a game like that, before or since. Coach Helton's teams during that era were always very explosive on offense with lots of talent. Tennessee High School football has lost a great competitor and players coach. Rest in Peace.