• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

From the Commercial Appeal

Prep Football 2015: Collierville hoping numbers add up to successful campaign

John Varlas
10:16 PM, Aug 17, 2015

gc_collierville2_22848582_ver1.0_640_480

July 31, 2015 — Collierville’s Chris Parrino watches as the Dragon offense takes the field during a scrimmage against Briarcrest. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

gc_collierville1_22848615_ver1.0_640_480

Collierville’s Justin Fowlkes (right) was part of a four-way battle for the starting quarterback position but could end up as a wide receiver the in the Dragons offense.

gc_collierville3_22848650_ver1.0_640_480

July 31, 2015 — Collierville football Coach Mike O’Neil calls a play from the field during the Dragon’s scrimmage against Briarcrest.

gc_collierville4_22848679_ver1.0_640_480

Collierville quarterback Matt Conners hands off to Peyton McCay, who leads a stable full of Dragons running backs. “I can think of two or three guys off the top of my head who are capable of big games. We’re big and strong and we’ve got good speed,†McCay said.

Historically, baseball has been the most successful boys sport at Collierville; the Dragons are always a state tournament threat. They won a state title in 2013.

The soccer Dragons have been coming on of late too, reaching the state championship game in 2014.

Football hasn’t been able to reach those heights in recent years but that may be changing soon. Collierville enters the 2015 season with a sense of excitement surrounding the program.

“We’re going to have 90 to 100 players on the roster,†said fourth-year Dragons coach Mike O’Neill. “A lot of places have to fight for players (but) playing football is now the cool thing to do at Collierville.â€

NEW CHALLENGES

O’Neill is going to need as many numbers as he can get as Collierville embarks on a new era this fall. As one of the 32 schools in the state with the largest enrollments, the Dragons have been placed in a revamped class 6A.

That means the Wooddales and Kirbys on the schedule have been replaced by teams like Whitehaven and White Station. And the old rivals like Houston and Germantown haven’t gone anywhere.

“We know the road to state has to go through some of the teams on our schedule,†said O’Neill. “It’s going to be like the playoffs every week.â€

Injuries dogged Collierville throughout the 2014 season, even getting to the point where O’Neill had to completely redesign the offense in order to suit the personnel that was healthy. Still, the Dragons won six of their first seven games thanks in large part to a stellar defense.

But the wheels eventually fell off and Collierville limped home with losses in four of their last five games, including a season-ending first-round defeat against arch-rival Houston.

“It was hard watching all those guys get hurt,†said junior running Peyton McCay. “I looked up to those guys like the were Supermen and now they’re hurt? But we stuck together and played as a team.

“And we’ve already got that experience. We’ve been there and done that.â€

SPECIAL TEAMS SPECIAL

O’Neill said the guy “who could very well be the best player on the team†is kicker Dylan Scott. Although only a junior, Scott, also a soccer standout, had a terrific summer on the camp circuit and should improve on last year’s numbers. He connected on 16 of 18 extra points and 10 of 12 field goals with the only two misses coming from beyond 40 yards.

The quarterback position was wide open heading into the official start of fall practice with four players — Garrett Booth (who started several games as a freshman last year), Justin Fowlkes, Parker Moss and Matt Conners (a transfer from California) all in the mix.

McCay heads a stable of solid running backs and will operate behind an offensive line that won’t wow anyone with its size but is experienced and physical.

“I can think of two or three guys off the top of my head who are capable of big games,†said McCay of the running game. “We’re big and strong and we’ve got good speed.â€

Collierville lost some key components from last year’s defense, six of whom who are now playing on the college level. Senior defensive backs Nathan Bouldien and Chris Parrino and junior linebacker Tyler Garvey will be depended on heavily.

HE SAID IT

O’Neill on the size of his roster, which is the envy of most coaches around the area:

“It’s a good problem to have.â€

Catching up with: Collierville RB Peyton McCay

What’s the team on the schedule you’d most like to beat?: (Without even a hint of pause) Houston. They’re our in-town rivals. We know all their guys and they know us, so it’s personal.

Who is your football role model?: Walter Payton. He wasn’t the biggest but it always took more than one guy to bring him down. I’m a big fan of (ESPN) “30 for 30s†and things like that and that’s how I know about him.

So were you named after him?: (Laughs) No. And it’s funny. I wasn’t named after Peyton Manning either, although he was really big when I was born.

A closer look at Collierville

Coach: Mike O’Neill (fourth season)

Record in 2014: 6-5 (lost to Houston, 35-28, in the first round of the 6A playoffs)

Region: 4-6A

Top returnees: K Dylan Scott (invaluable weapon on special teams); LB Tyler Garvey (hard-hitter will be one of the focal points on the Dragons’ defense); DB Nathan Bouldien (veteran will anchor the secondary); RB Peyton McCay (on a team with some talented backs, McCay is a standout)

Key games: Sept. 4 vs. White Station (Dragons open region play at home against Dillon Mitchell and friends); Sept. 25 vs. Arlington (good new rivalry, now with league implications); Oct. 2 vs. Houston (and a good old rivalry; Collierville won’t have forgotten two losses to the Mustangs in 2014)

Did you know?: The Dragons have reached the playoffs in each of the last three seasons but have failed to advance past the first round.

Edited by kwc

From the Commercial Appeal:

Prep Football 2015: Germantown brimming with optimism under first-year coach

John Varlas
10:18 PM, Aug 17, 2015

gc_germantown4_22848408_ver1.0_640_480.j

Germantown’s Brylan Sullivan (left) gets to know his defensive teammates at a recent practice. The Red Devils should be familiar with each other, having returned seven starters on both offense and defense.

(Jim Weber / The Commercial Appeal HS ART Cutlines)

gc_germantown1_22848438_ver1.0_640_480.j

July 29, 2015 - Germantown football Coach Chris Smith watches his team run a new play during practice at Germantown High School.

gc_germantown3_22848474_ver1.0_640_480.j

July 29, 2015 - Germantown lineman Felipe Martini (66) shuffles through a a drill during practice at Germantown High School.

gc_germantown5_22848502_ver1.0_640_480.j

July 29, 2015 - Germantown players take a water break in the extreme heat during practice at Germantown High School.

There are no prizes for having a great offseason. But if a summer championship was awarded, the Germantown Red Devils would be viable candidates.

If the work the Devils have done since January translates to on-the-field success, memories of last year’s struggles should subside.

Chris Smith — a talented offensive mind — comes to Germantown from Blytheville (Arkansas) to replace Charlie White, who resigned after 12 seasons on the heels of a 4-6 finish in 2014. That marked the third straight season of .500 or below for one of the area’s tradition-rich programs, and Smith’s arrival has rekindled optimism among players and supporters that a return to the good old days may not be too far behind.

“Coach Smith is a great coach,†said senior defensive back Christion Willett. “He’s come in and really motivated us; now we know what hard work means. It’s something we talk about all the time, rebuilding the program. And the seniors want to be the ones that set the tone for getting it back to that level.â€

Added senior offensive lineman Leon Nguyen: “I love my school. I feel like I go to the best school in the city ... and we want to bring the ‘G’ back.â€

STRONG GAINS

Smith’s fingerprints are all over the place.

The player numbers are up, with 10 or so more players on the varsity and another 60 on the freshman team. Parental interest is on the rise, too. But the most significant gains have come in the weight room.

Smith said since the team began its offseason weightlifting program in January, the average weight gain per player has been 17 pounds. And while that alone won’t win games, it’s a big step in the right direction.

“We’ve been hammering at it in the weight room since Jan. 17,†he said. “The players are transforming their bodies, and they’re starting to see results and see the light at the end of the tunnel. And we have a staff of young assistant coaches that are compassionate and competitive.

“This (rebuilding) job hasn’t been as tough as some of the others I’ve been a part of because there isn’t a loser’s mentality here. This is a football school.â€

Said Nguyen, a 6-3, 295-pounder, “Now, we’re pumped to hit the weight room. Coach Smith is so enthusiastic, and he’s brought in much-needed discipline. We get right to work now, no talking back.â€

PLENTY OF TALENT

With seven starters returning on each side of the ball, the Red Devils could be ready to contend.

The biggest workout warrior is probably linebacker Josh Puryear, who has bulked up from 205 to 245 and should contend for all-star honors as a senior. Willett holds things down in the secondary along with Evan Hoover, who has been clocked at 4.47 in the 40. Junior Trey Goins anchors the D-line.

Smith said he has “a good problem to have†at quarterback, where Marcus Mitchell and Miles Guyton will compete for the starting job. At 6-6 and 225 pounds, Mitchell boasts tremendous size and has a nice arm, while Guyton is adept at making all the reads in the no-huddle system.

Cameron Taweri is one of several talented running backs who Smith said have made the adjustment to the new system. They’ll have plenty of beef to run behind, led by Nguyen, Felipe Martini (6-5, 300) and David Campbell (6-2, 260).

But the star of the show could be wide receiver Rodney Williams. An all-metro performer in both football and basketball in 2014, Williams has bulked up to 198 pounds on a 6-4 frame, making him a tough cover for most defensive backs.

HE SAID IT

Smith on his team’s under-the-radar approach to the upcoming season:

“We’re laid pretty low, not doing a lot of 7-on-7. We want to be an enigma ... (and) just try to get better every day.â€

Catching up with: Germantown OL Leon Nguyen

Who is the team on your schedule you’d most like to beat?:

You shouldn’t even have to ask me that! Houston. They scheduled us for homecoming because they think we’ll be easy to beat ... but to me that’s like a slap on the back of the head.

Who is your football role model?:

I don’t really have one. I just try to work on myself and get better. I don’t really model myself after anyone.

Is it true that offensive linemen are the smartest guys on the team?

Most definitely! I think the offensive lineman — and defensive too — are really the heart of the team. You can’t really do anything without them.

A closer look at Germantown

Coach: Chris Smith (first season)

Record in 2014: 4-6

Top returnees: WR Rodney Williams (at 6-4 1/2 and nearly 200 pounds, he’ll make a tremendous target); DB Christion Willett (veteran in the secondary should attract lots of college interest as the season goes on); LB Josh Puryear (hard hitter has added over 40 pounds in the offseason); RB Cameron Taweri (Red Devils never short of talented backs and the junior should shine this year)

Key games: Sept. 4 at Houston (Mustangs’ program has surged ahead in recent years and Red Devils can make a statement); Sept. 18 vs. Whitehaven (region favorite — which has won last four meetings between the two — comes calling); Oct. 30 at Arlington (all 6A teams make playoffs but strong finish will go a long way).

Did you know?: Germantown has missed the playoffs the last three seasons, the first time that’s happened since 1991-1993.

Edited by kwc

Prep Football 2015: Houston's Hudgens hoping new faces take control

John Varlas
10:20 PM, Aug 17, 2015

gc_houston2_22848749_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Photos by Jim Weber / The Commercial Appeal HS ART Cutlines:Houston’s Jamal Cox drags down Nick Larkin during a recent Mustangs practice. Houston averaged 443.6 yards a game last season but must replace four offensive linemen, two running backs and all-state quarterback Jared Schmidt.

gc_houston1_22848751_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

August 4, 2015 - Houston's Chanse Pullen (right) tries to pull out of a tackle while running plays during practice at Houston High School. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

gc_houston4_22848752_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

HS ART Cutlines:Garrett Bates (with the ball) has a slight edge over Terrel Tatum in the battle to take the reins as the Mustangs’ starting quarterback.

gc_houston5_22848753_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

August 4, 2015 - The Houston High School football team practices on a dusty field next to the school as they wait for the new football field to be finished. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

A school with the size and tradition of Houston is never going to be short of solid football players. But what Will Hudgens is looking for as he heads into his third season at the school is some solid leaders.

The Mustangs had a fine 2014 season. They won their first seven games for the first time since 2002 and finished 10-2 after a last-second 34-32 loss to Arlington in the second round of the 6A playoffs. The 10 victories represented the program’s highest total since 2004, but many of the key components from that team have graduated.

The development leaves Hudgens seeking players ready to step into those important roles.

“We’re looking for strong leadership,†he said. “I think sometimes you can push guys into a leadership role, but it’s just tough when you haven’t been that guy on the front line. ... It’s (about) guys willing to be mature and accept their roles.â€

LEARNING THE ROPES

That maturation process will have to come fast if the Mustangs hope to keep pace in Region 4-6A. Houston led the area in total offense during the regular season — averaging 443.6 yards per contest — but four offensive linemen, the tight end, two running backs and all-state quarterback Jared Schmidt have moved on.

Defensively, there will be some big shoes to fill, but returning senior defensive back Kennedy Sanders is confident everything will come together in time for the season opener against Ridgeway on Aug. 21.

“We’ve got lots of young talent, but guys have to be willing to step up and put in the work,†he said. “And we have guys that are willing to be mentors. Usually a lot of teams won’t want to fool with the freshmen, but mentoring is going to be our strong point.

“I remember Noah Arrindell mentored me when I was young, and now I’m going to do the same with our young DBs.â€

It’s that kind of talk that makes Hudgens smile.

“We work all the time on communicating,†he said. “We have to let them know that it’s OK to open up, that talking on the field is a good thing.â€

CUPBOARD FAR FROM BARE

Houston’s defense has the potential to be effective with linebacker Zach Childress and defensive lineman R.J. Myers, two players who will contend for first-team all-region honors.

“Zach’s our (middle) linebacker, and he’s going to be great for us,†said Hudgens. “And R.J. is just a show-up-and-work guy.â€

Sanders anchors the secondary, and he’ll get some quality support from fellow senior Matthew Dale.

On offense, Garrett Bates and Terrel Tatum entered fall drills in a battle to replace Schmidt. Hudgens said Bates — who saw action in a few games as a backup last year — had a slight lead since Tatum spent the spring on the baseball team.

Whoever is under center will have a terrific target in wide receiver Chanse Pullen, who already has an offer from Navy. Seth Cartwright returns in the backfield after splitting time with his brother Colby and Chase Moss-Pioreck last fall, while Sam Meagher is the most experienced returnee on the line.

HE SAID IT

Hudgens on his approach to the season with a squad full of younger, less-experienced players:

“There’s just no substitute for showing up and working hard, competing each day and pushing each other. It’s exciting.â€

Catching up with: Houston defensive back Kennedy Sanders

What do you think of the new Region 4-6A?

I think it’s going to be great to get that exposure and not see any weak competition. We’re going to see real people every week, the best athletes that the city has to offer.

Who is your NFL role model?: (Arizona Cardinals defensive back) Patrick Peterson. He uses his ability to the best of his advantage, and he’s a hard worker too.

Any pregame rituals?: Music is what I do and I like to joke around. I listen to (rapper) Kevin Gates. I can’t listen to anything slow. And I always have to have my Skittles and blue Powerade.

A closer look at Houston

Coach: Will Hudgens (third season)

Record in 2014: 10-2 (lost to Arlington, 34-32, in second round of the 6A playoffs)

Region: Region 4-6A

Top returnees: LB Zach Childress (rugged senior will be one of the key cogs on defense); DL R.J. Myers (hardworking anchor of the d-line); DB Kennedy Sanders (intelligent player with great cover skills); WR Chanse Pullen (has the potential to be one of the region’s top pass catchers)

Key games: Aug. 28 at Henry County (nonleague visit to the unfriendly confines of Patriot Stadium will be a stiff challenge for a young squad); Oct. 2 at Collierville (rivalry between schools is one of the best in the state); Oct. 9 vs. Arlington (Mustangs won’t have forgotten heartbreaking playoff loss to Tigers last year).

Did you know?: Houston led Shelby County in total offense during the regular season (443.6 yards per contest).

Edited by kwc

Prep Football 2015: Talented Cordova looking for much better showing in 2015

John Varlas
8:50 PM, Aug 17, 2015

Cordova_Carter01_22847274_ver1.0_640_480

Photos by Nikki Boertman / The Commercial Appeal HS ART Cutlines:Lineman Quinton Bohanna (above) and safety Cedric Carter (right) will be stalwarts for the Cordova defense. “We worked hard in the offseason and we’re coming in prepared. And we care about each other; we’re more together than we were last year,†Bohanna said.

Cordova_coach01_22847275_ver1.0_640_480.

Aug, 2015 - Cordova football head coach Anthony Jones. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

Cordova_Bohanna_22847276_ver1.0_640_480.

HS ART Cutlines:Aug, 2015 - Cordova football defensive lineman Quinton Bohanna. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

Cordova_Johnson01_22847277_ver1.0_640_48

Aug, 2015 - Cordova football wide receiver Edward Johnson. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

If you were making the rounds of the local 7 on 7 circuit during the offseason, there’s a good chance you would have heard someone talking about Cordova.

As in, “Keep an eye on Cordova.â€

Or, “Watch out for Cordova.â€

Or maybe even, “Cordova’s going to be real good.â€

But — spoken like the football coach he is — Anthony Jones said let’s slow things down a little. After all, the Wolves finished 4-6 in 2014 and missed out on the postseason.

“I don’t know about all that,†he said, chuckling at the high expectations. “I am optimistic, though. I really believe the boys are coming together. We had some sophomores last year that have grown up.

“And we have more bodies this year, which allows us to practice the way we want to. But so far so good.â€

DEFENSE LOOKING GOOD

At least on paper, there’s reason to think Cordova will be much-improved as 18 of 22 starters return. And motivation will be high, with the team determined to show that last season’s losing record was an aberration.

“We’re coming into the season with a chip on our shoulders,†said quarterback Devin Booker. “We know we’re a much better team than our record showed.â€

Things are especially promising on the defensive line, which Jones calls “the best position on the team.†Quinton Bohanna — an all-state performer last year — and Braylon Brown — who recorded 10.5 sacks — lead the way.

Jeremiah Fordham (6-2, 220) should have an outstanding season at linebacker. In the secondary, keep an eye on Cedric Carter and Ahmad Richardson, who was a first-team all-district 14-AAA choice as a sophomore in 2014.

“We’re coming together,†said Bohanna. “We worked hard in the offseason and we’re coming in prepared. And we care about each other; we’re more together than we were last year.â€

DEPTH AT QUARTERBACK

Things look equally promising on offense. Cordova has the luxury of having two quarterbacks with starting experience, Booker and Micah Moreland. Jones said that Booker had a slight edge heading into fall camp.

At 6-2 and 210, Harold Lacy brings excellent size to the running back spot while Kalan Miller, the team’s leading receiver, also returns. Marquez Robertson and Myron Henderson are the keys on the offensive line.

Jones said that depth will be the biggest concern, especially with the Wolves now alongside the other area 6A teams in the TSSAA’s new four-region set up. But if they can navigate the schedule successfully enough to get a good playoff draw ...

“I think we’re going to have a great team,†Booker said. “We’re not really feeling pressure ... we know we’re going to be good. We’re going to do what we have to do.â€

HE SAID IT

Jones on Cordova’s new home in Region 4-6A: “I don’t know about east Tennessee or middle Tennessee but to me, this is the toughest league in the state. When you play Whitehaven one week, then Collierville, then White Station, Houston ... it’s going to be a grind.â€

Catching up with: Cordova DL Quinton Bohanna

Who is the player on your team who will surprise people this

season?:

(Running back) Harold Lacy. He’s a hard worker with a lot of grit and toughness.

I would say Arik Armstead who played at Oregon and was drafted by the 49ers (with the 17th overall pick). He’s got the same body frame as I do and he’s got good technique and a motor, which you need for the position.

Who is the toughest team you’ve played against?:

Arlington. They’re just so fundamentally sound. They don’t make any mistakes and they capitalize on your mistakes.

A closer look at Cordova

Coach: Anthony Jones (third year)

Record in 2014: 4-6

Region: Region 4-6A

Key games: Sept. 4 vs. Bartlett (Wolves will get a chance to make a statement as they open region play at home); Oct. 2 at Arlington (rivalry game that will also have a big say in the league race; Wolves haven’t beaten Tigers since 2008); Oct. 30 at Whitehaven (plenty of talent on both sides of the field in the regular season-finale)

Did you know?: Cordova is the only football-playing school in the state with the “Wolves†nickname.

Edited by kwc

From The Commercial Appeal:

Prep Football 2015: Bartlett looking to build on postseason berth

John Varlas
8:38 PM, Aug 17, 2015

bc_bartlett_22847898_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

HS ART Cutlines:Bartlett coach Jeff McFerran says LaMarcus Young is “the best athlete on our team.â€

Theron Malone
bc_bartlett2_22847899_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

HS ART Cutlines: HS ART Cutlines:Third-year Bartlett coach Jeff McFerran saw his squad lose 33 players due to the rezoning of school districts. “We’ll only have 10 seniors this year, but we’re going to have to just go out and play,†McFerran said.

More so than in many a season, there’s a prevailing sense of optimism surrounding the Bartlett High football team.

You can see it off the field, where plans are in the works to upgrade the Panthers’ facilities, including a much-needed revamp of the weight room. And you can see it off the field, where excitement is high following Bartlett’s trip to the 6A playoffs last year.

“I came here as a sophomore and the year before they were 1-9,†said star senior wide receiver-defensive back LaMarcus Young. “The next year we won three games, then last year we won five and made the playoffs. Now let’s see what we can do this season.â€

Added junior linebacker Seth Allen, “Last year has helped bring people into the program. We’re headed in the right direction.â€

SENIOR LEADERS

Third-year coach Jeff McFerran echoes his players’ enthusiasm while maintaining the typical head coach caution. Bartlett’s 5-6 season — which ended with a 40-25 loss to Arlington in the first round — was another nice step, but there will be a lot of work that needs to be done for the Panthers to stay on track.

“Our booster club has been great,†he said. “We’re making the push to upgrade our facilities. And we’re seeing some good growth; we’ll have 55 players on our freshman squad this season.

“But we lost 35 players last year (when the schools were rezoned) and only picked up two. That’s a net of 33 players lost of two classes. So we’ll only have 10 seniors this year, but we’re going to have to just go out and play.â€

Two of the seniors who are on hand, though, will be among the best players at their positions in the new Region 8-4A.

Young will provide the flash. The 5-11, 175-pounder — whom McFerran calls “the best athlete on our team†— will challenge for all-region honors on both sides of the ball. Young already has an offer from Missouri State and interest will certainly pick up as the season progresses.

The muscle will come from offensive lineman Jake MacFerran, who is also drawing plenty of college interest.

“Jake’s got a great work ethic,†said McFerran. “He’s going to be the leader for us up front.â€

Elsewhere, there are question marks.

Bartlett allowed 30 or more points in all six of the games it lost last season, and several of those starters have graduated. The secondary — led by Young — should be a strong point, though, and McFerran is excited about the potential of the 5-11, 220-pound Allen.

“I think we’ll be solid,†said Allen. “We’re not the biggest or the fastest so we’ll have to be aggressive and fight to the ball. Our pass coverage has gotten a lot better, but there’s still work to do. We’ll get there.â€

OLD FACES RETURN

The league schedule is another thing that will get the Panthers’ loyal fan base out in force this year. Old rivals like Germantown and Collierville are back on the schedule thanks to the creation of the new 6A classification, along with newer powers like Houston and Arlington and the team that McFerran calls “lead dog,†Whitehaven.

“There are going to be a lot of old, traditional rivalries,†he said. “It’s going to be good to have some of those old Shelby County traditions again.â€

HE SAID IT

McFerran’s assessment of the new Region 4-6A:

“You can’t control (the TSSAA’s reclassification) but it’s going to be a fun league. Everyone is going to have to solve their own problems.â€

A closer look at Bartlett

Coach:
Jeff McFerran (third season)

Record in 2014:
5-6 (lost to Arlington, 40-25, in first round of 6A playoffs)

Region:
4-6A

Top returnees:
WR-DB LaMarcus Young (explosive playmaker was an all-district performer as a DB last year); OL Jake MacFerran (impressed on the offseason circuit, running a 5.0 40 at the Memphis camp); LB Seth Allen (does a great job plugging the holes against the opposition’s run game); WR Marquavius Weaver (figures to make a big jump in production in 2015).

Key games:
Sept. 4 at Cordova (after opening at home against Sheffield and Northside, first league game will give a better barometer of where the Panthers are); Sept. 25 vs. White Station (matchup against Dillon Mitchell and company should be a fun); Oct. 2 vs. Germantown (in a rugged league, Panthers must win games like this one).

Did you know?:
Bartlett’s trip to the postseason last year marked the school’s first playoff berth since 2009.

Catching up with: Bartlett WR-DB LaMarcus Young

What was the best piece of football advice someone ever gave you?

Just to stay at it and keep God first. That comes from our assistant coach, Montrell Craft.

(Arizona Cardinals defensive back) Patrick Peterson. I just really admire his work ethic.

Who is the team on your schedule you’d most like to beat?:

Whitehaven. I’m just tired of hearing all the talk about them. I know they’re a great team, but it’s going to be just another game for me.

Edited by kwc

Prep Football 2015: QB Kolwyck returns to lead Arlington

John Varlas
8:35 PM, Aug 17, 2015

ARL_Coach01_22847900_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Photos by Nikki Boertman / The Commercial Appeal HS ART Cutlines:Adam Sykes, who helped start the Arlington football program 10 years ago and has been a longtime assistant, takes over as the Tigers head coach this season. He served as Arlington’s offensive coordinator last season, when the Tigers finished 10-3, the best record in school history.

ARL_Jackson01_22847901_ver1.0_640_480.jp

HS ART Cutlines:Arlington defensive lineman Chris Jackson is one of only three returning starters on the Tigers defense. “We’ll be learning as we go,†Sykes said about his defense.

ARL_Lewis01_22847903_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Bryan Lewis (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

Nikki Boertman
ARL_Parker02_22847906_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Nikki Boertman

It was surprising when Arlington High football coach Chris Wiley decided to step down in February after a successful decade-long run as the only coach in school history.

But his replacement wasn’t a surprise to anyone.

Offensive coordinator Adam Sykes — who helped get the program going 10 years ago — takes over this year after Wiley resigned to go into private business. And it’s a natural fit for the school, which has grown into one of the area’s best — and most consistent — programs.

Sykes wanted the job. Wiley wanted him to have the job. And the Arlington players wanted him to have the job. Simple.

“I watched coach Wiley build up the program,†said Sykes, who was named interim coach before officially getting the job in April. “It’s a little different from the business side, making phone calls and making decisions.

“But coach Wiley pushed for me to get this job and he still checks on me. He’s a good friend. And we’ve got a good coaching staff ... (so) the transition has been pretty good.â€

GOLDEN TATE

In terms of postseason advancement, last year was the best season in Arlington history. The Tigers finished 10-3 — matching the school record for victories set in 2009 — and reached the quarterfinals of the 6A playoffs for the first time, before bowing out to Whitehaven in a classic encounter, 35-28.

The star of that one — like most of the year — was quarterback Tate Kolwyck, who completed 18 of 32 passes for 206 yards and three scores against one of the state’s top teams. That came a week after he threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Jackson Boring on the final play of the game that gave the Tigers a 34-32 second-round win over Houston.

Not bad for a freshman who went into the 2014 season as third option and was thrust into duty only when projected starter Jonathan Bowlan transferred to Bartlett and another player also moved.

“Tate overachieved last year,†said Sykes. “We had high expectations for him but he went well above those. He’s a great kid, humble and it’s a blessing to have him.â€

Kolwyck credits last year’s senior-heavy team with helping make things easier for him.

“They really helped because they showed that they had a lot of confidence in me,†he said. “I was a little surprised (at his 2014 success) but I knew I could do some things.â€

BIG SHOES TO FILL

Kolwyck will likely have to play an even bigger role this year now that several of those key seniors have moved on.

Wide receiver Bryan Lewis is poised to have a big season with veteran Everett Mitchell also returning to catch passes. Keelon Webber is a versatile running back and Sykes said this year’s offensive line will feature more size than the Tigers have had in past years.

“That’s good stuff,†Kolwyck said with a laugh.

Defense could be a little more problematic. Best of the Preps player of the year finalist Jonathan Mabone is among several key players who have graduated.

“We’re going to be very young,†said Sykes. “We’ll have three returning starters. We’ll be learning as we go.â€

Lineman Chris Jackson and middle linebacker Brandon Parker are two of the players Sykes will be counting on the most. A replacement must also be found for excellent kicker Cameron Durley.

HE SAID IT

Sykes on the decision to hand the keys over to Kolwyck as a freshman last fall:

“After seeing him in 7 on 7 ... we would have been dumb not to.â€

A closer look at Arlington

Coach:
Adam Sykes (first season)

Record in 2014:
10-3 (lost to Whitehaven, 35-28, in the quarterfinals of the 6A playoffs)

Region:
4-6A

Top returnees:
QB Tate Kolwyck (thrust into action as a freshman in 2014 and responded with a terrific year); WR Bryan Lewis (good size and hands will make him Kolwyck’s top target); DL Chris Jackson (saw plenty of action as a sophomore and will play a bigger role this year); LB Brandon Parker (has some big shoes to fill but Sykes likes his potential).

Key games:
Sept. 4 at Whitehaven (last two meetings between the schools have been classics, including last year’s playoff contest); Sept. 25 at Collierville (schools have developed a nice rivalry in recent years and this year it’s a league game); Oct. 9 at Houston (this one will have a big effect on how the league race shakes out).

Did you know?:
Arlington played its first varsity football

game on Aug. 18, 2006, defeating Tipton-Rosemark 42-12.

Catching up with: Arlington QB Tate Kolwyck

Who is the toughest team you played against last season

(Murfreesboro) Oakland (which beat the Tigers 35-3). That was by far the best defense I faced ... they just ball-hawked the whole time.

Who is the player on your team who will most surprise this year?

(Wide receiver) Bryan Lewis is going to have a good year. He’s really been stepping up. He’s got athleticism, height and he runs good routes.

You’re also a top-notch baseball player so what feels better, hitting a home run or throwing a touchdown pass?

(Laughing) I have no idea. They both feel amazing.

Edited by kwc

White Station has talent, tough competition

John Varlas
11:15 AM, Aug 18, 2015

whitestation_sat2_9330701_ver1.0_640_480

Central High’s Deountario Brown attempts to drag down White Station’s Dillon Mitchell during the Spartans’ 24-6 upset of the fifth-ranked Warriors on Friday night at the Fairgrounds.

(By Dale L. Anderson/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

The White Station football team is no stranger to a challenging schedule. Just in the last four years the Spartans have had teams like Ridgeway, CBHS, Murfreesboro Oakland and South Panola among their nonleague opposition.

But with the formation of the new 32-team 6A this year, the stakes have been raised.

“I was talking to another coach and he asked me how I was liking things in the SEC West,†said third-year Spartans coach Joe Rocconi. “And I thought about it ... it’s not the SEC but it’s pretty good.â€

The move to Region 4-6A is just one of the challenges facing the Spartans, who open the year ranked sixth in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen.

League contests against schools like Hamilton and Overton will now be replaced by games against schools like Arlington, Houston and Collierville. And the White Station-Whitehaven game — which has developed into one of the area’s best rivalries over the last few seasons — remains.

Add nonleague games against CBHS, DeSoto Central and Olive Branch and it becomes clear the Spartans will be thoroughly tested come playoff time.

“It’s going to be incredible to play that kind of competition week in and week out,†Rocconi said. “We’re excited.â€

As well they should be. Because even though the Spartans have to plug in some new faces in key positions, they enter the year with one of the best collections of skill players anywhere in town.

And it starts with Dillon Mitchell.

The 6-1, 189-pounder — who will graduate in December to enroll at Oregon in time for spring drills — will contend for AAA Mr. Football honors after a stellar junior season that saw him account for 2,238 yards and 23 touchdowns in 11 games.

Mitchell scored touchdowns five different ways last year and Rocconi said the plan is to get him all the touches he can handle this year.

“We have some (new) things but I’m not revealing what they are,†he said with a laugh. “I think last year, he might have caught some teams off guard but now everybody knows about him.

“And honestly last year we didn’t run the ball as well as we needed too. He’s still going to be the big focus but we’re going to have to do better collectively.â€

Hard-nosed Burk Williams returns at quarterback after starting as a junior last year. Roland Williams III and Myles Baker are two proven receivers while John Lyons is an intriguing h-back/tight end prospect.

Ty Woodard figures to get most of the carries and Rocconi said safety Trevor Forbes also looked promising at running back. The coach said the O-line will be the biggest question mark but the return of left tackle Jalen James — injured all last year — will be a big help.

“We’ve got some younger guys that are going to step up,†Burk Williams said.

Defensively, Rocconi is “expecting a big year†from inside linebacker Kurstain Cowan. Darrell “Bam†Howard lives up to his nickname along the defensive line and the secondary should be fine with Forbes, Roland Williams and Baker.

Kicker Micah Breckenridge is one of the area’s best and Mitchell is a threat to go all the way on any return — provided any kicks actually come his way.

“We’ve got some players who we think are going to be really good,†Rocconi said. “The question is, are they going to be good enough to compete at a high level?â€

A closer look at White Station

Coach: Joe Rocconi (third year)

Record in 2014: 4-7 (lost to Whitehaven, 41-35, in first round of the 6A playoffs)

Top returnees: WR Dillon Mitchell; WR-DB Roland Williams III; WR-DB Myles Baker; QB Burk Williams; LB Kurstain Cowan

Did you know?: In every odd-numbered year since 2009, the Spartans have reached at least the 6A quarterfinals (state title in 2009, quarters in 2011, semis in 2013).

Edited by kwc

Close won't count for title-hungry Whitehaven

John Varlas
3:41 PM, Aug 20, 2015

whitehaven_fri_1_22992748_ver1.0_640_480

August, 19 2015 — Incoming senior Donte Vaughn, 17, cornerback for the Whitehaven High School football team, runs agility drills in heavy rain on the football field at WHS. (Brandon Dill/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

whitehaven_fri_2_22992749_ver1.0_640_480

August, 19 2015 — Players and coaches with the Whitehaven High School football team run drills in heavy rain on the football field at WHS. (Brandon Dill/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

Heading into his 12th season as Whitehaven’s football coach, Rodney Saulsberry has been around long enough to know that preseason predictions are about as worthless as an Allen Iverson Grizzlies jersey.

But as he points out, if there are preseason rankings then you might as well start at the top.

The Tigers — who won their first 13 games last year before losing to Ravenwood in the 6A state semifinals — will open the season ranked first in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen. It makes them a big target starting with Saturday’s game against Mitchell in the Whitehaven Classic, but Saulsberry says that’s just fine.

“I tell them not to get caught up in the press clippings but why not be on top from the start,†he said. “We know our opponents want to beat a top team and we accept the challenge. But our only opponent is ourselves.â€

The Tigers are the last team other than Maryville to win the 6A championship, lifting the gold ball in 2012. They haven’t been back to Cookeville since and this year’s team wants to fix that.

“Nothing less than a state championship is our goal,†said senior defensive back Donte Vaughn. “Even if we go 14-1, the season will be a flop.â€

Added senior defensive back Rodney Saulsberry Jr., “I feel like we had a losing season last year. If we don’t go 15-0, then I don’t feel like we’re doing anything. A lot of people think we’ve fallen off but we want to prove them wrong.â€

As is usually the case at Whitehaven, the Tigers will be led by their defense. All-star linebacker Josh McMillon is now at Alabama but six starters and several others with experience return.

Perhaps the strongest area will be the secondary. The 6-3, 196-pound Vaughn has offers from schools such as Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Notre Dame and Tennessee, and Saulsberry Jr. and Jabril Malone are proven commodities. The linebacker corps, led by Barshay Wilson, Martavius Williams, Cedric Brown, Aubrey Miller and Vontavious Thacker, will also be solid.

But as the coach says “it starts up front.†Tyler Walton (6-4, 295-pound) and Shabar Wilson (Barshay’s brother) are the standouts and the unit will get a big boost when Michael Perry — who transferred from MAHS midway through last year — becomes eligible. Ole Miss and Missouri are among the schools that have offered the 6-2, 305-pound tackle.

“Our goal every year is to have the No. 1 defense in the state,†said Saulsberry Jr.

Offensively, the Tigers should be able to put up plenty of points as they compete in the newly-formed Region 4-6A.

Delvin Salter (6-4, 280), JameCole Banks, Anthony Geter and Myles Sails — grandson of legendary local basketball coach Verties Sails — form what should be a great offensive line. Last year’s starter Ayron Thompson returns at running back, backed by Kylan Watkins and Ray Booker. Tyrone Cason and the 255-pound Shabar Wilson will be the fullbacks.

“We’ve got some depth on the offensive line,†Saulsberry said. “We can go 10 or 12 deep.â€

Receiver will also be solid. Kerrick Jones — a sure-handed route-runner — is one of the top receivers in the state and Saulsberry likes what he sees in newcomer C.J. Biggins. Darrion Cole will be the new starting quarterback.

“D-Cole is doing fine,†Saulsberry said. “With a new quarterback, it’s just a matter of working on the chemistry.â€

Add it all up and it has the makings of another fine year. But Saulsberry says little things will make a big difference.

To that end, the coach recently posted a video on Twitter showing a player running a sprint drill and coming very close — but not quite touching — the line. Saulsberry used that as an illustration to his players that success means doing things the right way.

“We want them to have pride,†he said. “Pride in themselves, their homes ... we’re focused on Tiger pride and taking care of the details. Even if it’s the slightest inch, it could be an inch that makes a difference.â€

A closer look at Whitehaven

Coach:
Rodney Saulsberry (12th season)

Record in 2014:
13-1 (lost to Ravenwood, 24-14, in 6A state semifinals)

Region:
4-6A

Top returnees:
DB Donte Vaughn; NT Michael Perry; WR Kerrick Jones; DB Rodney Saulsberry Jr.; OL Delvin Salter; RB Ayron Thompson; DT Tyler Walton

Did you know:
Whitehaven has won at least 12 games in four of the last five seasons.

Edited by kwc