TSSAA to privates...keep recruiting!

bobcatfan#1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying kids leave because they do not want to play for a terrible coach is far different then saying parents and kids on their own are simply seeking the winningest programs with the best facilities and best coaches which is the argument many want to make.  But for the sake your point, list all the players from your old school over the last 5 years who have transferred to play elsewhere, I'd be interested to know.

I agree with your point, most kids do want the exposure of playing for a winner and playing with their friends, when I was in high school, East St. Louis had a dominant program (in hoops and football) with one of the worst facilities and campuses in America (watch the movie Wildcats with Goldie Hawn, most of it was filmed at the high school) and with some (not all) parents it's all about there kid's playing time, forget the program (those parents transfer their kid out, or stir up trouble when things don't go their way).  I think coaching plays a big part in development (winning and sending kids to college) and facilities to an extent. In the mid-state area, those public schools have facilities that are better then most small colleges. Not all privates have great facilities.  Go to Brentwood Academy or MBA's gym's then compare it to Blackman, Stewart's Creek or Wilson Central. l have to admit, I've never seen their football stadiums but I have seen their basketball gyms, the only comparison I can make. In the Knoxville area by far the two best gyms are Oak Ridge and Hardin Valley and Alcoa's athletic complex is really nice. But at the same time, when strong coaches control their program they tend to be successful, when parents and schools boards control the team, coaches leave no consistency. 

Here is the question: what is recruiting?

That has been answered, read all the TSSAA regulations on the subject and you will find it is a very narrow and stringent definition of what it means for all members of a school community to follow the rules/spirit of the rules.

...and with some (not all) parents it's all about there kid's playing time, forget the program (those parents transfer their kid out, or stir up trouble when things don't go their way)...

Good points and I couldn't agree more in how strong a role the whole topic of PT plays in the equation.  That is another reason why this whole idea that has been brought up many times in the past that all these kids simply transfer based on winning program and coach without knowing their role/PT is a very small minority, happens few and far between.