D2 2013 State Champs v D2 2015 State Champs

BigDaddy12345

I thought this would be an interesting post because these two groups of state champs seemed to be more talented than any others in recent years. I think there would be some very interesting matchups. I think 106, 120, 138, 160, and 182 would be among the best matches. 

106- Murphy v Simpson- Murphy

113-Oliver v Eason- Oliver

120- Elsea v Chalifoux- Chalifoux

126-Gray v Simpson- Gray

132- Connell v King- King

138- Olsen v Murphy- Olsen

145-Marchetti v Wesnofske- Marchetti

152-Baker v Patton- Baker

160- Popp v Sutherland- Sutherland

170- Parker v Seagraves- Parker

182- Hoodenpyle v Euverard- Hoodenpyle

195- Garsten v Parker- Parker

220- Mason v Stacey- Mason

285- Robertson v Reiniche- Robertson

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this would be an interesting post because these two groups of state champs seemed to be more talented than any others in recent years. I think there would be some very interesting matchups. I think 106, 120, 138, 160, and 182 would be among the best matches. 

106- Murphy v Simpson- Murphy

113-Oliver v Eason- Oliver

120- Elsea v Chalifoux- Chalifoux

126-Gray v Simpson- Gray

132- Connell v King- King

138- Olsen v Murphy- Olsen

145-Marchetti v Wesnofske- Marchetti

152-Baker v Patton- Baker

160- Popp v Sutherland- Sutherland

170- Parker v Seagraves- Parker

182- Hoodenpyle v Euverard- Hoodenpyle

195- Garsten v Parker- Parker

220- Mason v Stacey- Mason

285- Robertson v Reiniche- Robertson

You are selecting Olsen for Michael Murphy? 

You are selecting Olsen for Michael Murphy? 

This was the only thing in the list that seemed like a big miss.  I would take Michael Murphy over Pierce (John) Olsen.  Most other things up there you could potentially argue one way or the other.

Not one to knock any kid that wins a state championships but between these two I would take Murphy the vast majority of the time.  If you compare accolades, it is hands down Murphy.  If I look at it with an a more objective eye at how they wrestle, styles, etc. I would still feel pretty confident in taking Murphy there.

Interesting topic for sure.

Edited by ghouse

Murphy-106;

Oliver-113;

Elsea-120;

Simpson-126;

Connell-132;

Murphy-138;

Marchetti-145;

Baker-152;

Sutherland-160;

Seagraves-170;

Euverard-182;

Parker-195;

Mason-220;

Robertson-Heavy.

Elsea, Connell and Seagraves would have an age and maturity advantage over his opponent here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

106- Murphy v Simpson

113-Oliver v Eason

120- Elsea v Chalifoux

126-Gray v Simpson

132- Connell v King

138- Olsen v Murphy

145-Marchetti v Wesnofske

152-Baker v Patton

160- Popp v Sutherland

170- Parker v Seagraves

182- Hoodenpyle v Euverard

195- Garsten v Parker

220- Mason v Stacey

285- Robertson v Reiniche

Very interesting topic. I'm not going to make any picks, but do want to discuss a few weight classes.

106- Simpson was more dominant than Murphy was at 106. Not saying Simpson would beat Murphy, but I am saying I don't remember Murphy pinning in the finals and being talked about for OW when he won at 106? Although Murphy is a much more decorated wrestler and currently ranked 15th in the nation on flowrestling, I do not think he was as much of a stud than as he is now.

120- I think Elsea would be bigger, stronger, and more physically mature for Chalifoux. Elsea also pinned in the finals. If you watched Elsea wrestle, he was always much bigger and stronger than everyone else in his weight class. Elsea was also one of the best leg riders I've seen in a long time and I don't know how Chalifoux would handle that. Just a little comparison of their styles.

132- Connell. Should this be a no brainer? Connell defeated Brunner (3x state champion), and also defeated 1x state champion Mike Akres by first period pin. Brunner also went on to wrestle in NCAA Division 1. Connell also wrestles NCAA Division 1 (Naval Academy). King on the other hand, has already won 2 state titles.  King didn't have near the competition Connell did. Taking nothing away from King who has won two state titles the first two years in high school.  Maybe when King is a Senior we can compare more accurately

138- First off, Olsen is misspelled. The correct spelling is "Olson." That being said Olson had by far the toughest weight class at the state tournament that year defeating Sutherland (the guy that everyone is picking for 160) who is also going to wrestle NCAA Division 1 wrestling (Old Dominion). Sutherland did not score 1 point off of him.  I know Sutherland was injured, but this is quite the feat.  Olson defeated Sutherland (2014 State Champion and 2015 State Champion and 2015 OW). In Olson's weight class in 2013 there were two state champions (Sutherland and Davis).  As I stated earlier, I am not taking anything away from Murphy. The kid is an absolute stud. He currently is ranked 15th on flowrestling. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is that the highest any TN wrestler has been ranked (other than Oliver)?

170- Parker defeateted Hagey 7-2 in 2013, which was the closest any Parker-Hagey matchup was. I believe they wrestled multiple times that year. In 2014 Hagey defeated Seagraves 2-1 in the finals. Also, Seagraves pinned Hagey in the State Duals to help Baylor win the DII State Duals.  Although Seagraves would have age on Parker, Hagey never got close to a win or even a close match against Parker, but did against Seagraves.

Lastly, I wanted to say great topic choice. It really made me think and compare wrestlers. The majority of these weights could go either way depending on the day. Every kid on this list is an absolute stud and also all State champions. These are just my opinions (everyone's opinion is different) and I would love for people to criticize or critique them. 

Edited by westernwrestler

106- Murphy v Simpson

113-Oliver v Eason

120- Elsea v Chalifoux

126-Gray v Simpson

132- Connell v King

138- Olsen v Murphy

145-Marchetti v Wesnofske

152-Baker v Patton

160- Popp v Sutherland

170- Parker v Seagraves

182- Hoodenpyle v Euverard

195- Garsten v Parker

220- Mason v Stacey

285- Robertson v Reiniche

Very interesting topic. I'm not going to make any picks, but do want to discuss a few weight classes.

106- Simpson was more dominant than Murphy was at 106. Not saying Simpson would beat Murphy, but I am saying I don't remember Murphy pinning in the finals and being talked about for OW when he won at 106? Although Murphy is a much more decorated wrestler and currently ranked 15th in the nation on flowrestling, I do not think he was as much of a stud than as he is now.

120- I think Elsea would be bigger, stronger, and more physically mature for Chalifoux. Elsea also pinned in the finals. If you watched Elsea wrestle, he was always much bigger and stronger than everyone else in his weight class. Elsea was also one of the best leg riders I've seen in a long time and I don't know how Chalifoux would handle that. Just a little comparison of their styles.

132- Connell. Should this be a no brainer? Connell defeated Brunner (3x state champion), and also defeated 1x state champion Mike Akres by first period pin. Brunner also went on to wrestle in NCAA Division 1. Connell also wrestles NCAA Division 1 (Naval Academy). King on the other hand, has already won 2 state titles.  King didn't have near the competition Connell did. Taking nothing away from King who has won two state titles the first two years in high school.  Maybe when King is a Senior we can compare more accurately

138- First off, Olsen is misspelled. The correct spelling is "Olson." That being said Olson had by far the toughest weight class at the state tournament that year defeating Sutherland (the guy that everyone is picking for 160) who is also going to wrestle NCAA Division 1 wrestling (Old Dominion). Sutherland did not score 1 point off of him.  I know Sutherland was injured, but this is quite the feat.  Olson defeated Sutherland (2014 State Champion and 2015 State Champion and 2015 OW). In Olson's weight class in 2013 there were two state champions (Sutherland and Davis).  As I stated earlier, I am not taking anything away from Murphy. The kid is an absolute stud. He currently is ranked 15th on flowrestling. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is that the highest any TN wrestler has been ranked (other than Oliver)?

170- Parker defeateted Hagey 7-2 in 2013, which was the closest any Parker-Hagey matchup was. I believe they wrestled multiple times that year. In 2014 Hagey defeated Seagraves 2-1 in the finals. Also, Seagraves pinned Hagey in the State Duals to help Baylor win the DII State Duals.  Although Seagraves would have age on Parker, Hagey never got close to a win or even a close match against Parker, but did against Seagraves.

Lastly, I wanted to say great topic choice. It really made me think and compare wrestlers. The majority of these weights could go either way depending on the day. Every kid on this list is an absolute stud and also all State champions. These are just my opinions (everyone's opinion is different) and I would love for people to criticize or critique them.

You are picking against Chalifoux (USA Wrestling Cadet FS All-American & USA Wrestling Junior FS All-American) and King (USA Wrestling Cadet FS All-American)? How did Connell and Elsea do at Fargo or other national tournaments? Edited by cbg

You are picking against Chalifoux (USA Wrestling Cadet FS All-American & USA Wrestling Junior FS All-American) and King (USA Wrestling Cadet FS All-American)? How did Connell and Elsea do at Fargo or other national tournaments?

I agree, both placed at Fargo and they are worthy.  However, we are talking about at the time.  Chalifoux lost to Becci in the simis of the state.  Would you say he is better than Becci because he AA at Fargo?  No, because he lost to him head to head.  Just because somebody did not go to Fargo does not mean they are not worthy.  I think the results speak for themselves..

That is the question. 

I agree, both placed at Fargo and they are worthy.  However, we are talking about at the time.  Chalifoux lost to Becci in the simis of the state.  Would you say he is better than Becci because he AA at Fargo?  No, because he lost to him head to head.  Just because somebody did not go to Fargo does not mean they are not worthy.  I think the results speak for themselves..

That is the question.

No excuses but injuries that were not disclosed take a toll on some wrestlers. How did Connell & Elsea do in national tournaments?

No excuses but injuries that were not disclosed take a toll on some wrestlers. How did Connell & Elsea do in national tournaments?

No excuses?  What comes afterwards sounds like an excuse to me.  What injuries and to whom are you speaking of?  As for how Connell and Elsea did in national tournaments, I do not know.  What does that matter?  This is not about national tournaments, it is about if state champ competed against another state champ.  Just because you are an AA does not mean you could win the state championship against another state champion since he did not AA.  If so, how do our AA's lose to Tennessee wrestlers every year.  Example, Boykin from Murfressboro won Fargo and Sammy Evans from Alcoa did not AA this year, yet Boykin lost to Sammy at Virginia Beach.  I would not say Boykin beats Evans just because he won Fargo.  

Mr. Chalifoux had a knee injury and had surgery on it at the time. Although Becci was a good wrestler, a healthy Trey Chalifoux would not have had trouble with him at all. He beat Becci way more than Becci beat him. Elsea would not of beaten Chalifoux either. Elsea was a good Tennesse wrestler, but did not have the offense to compete as high as Chalifoux has done on a natioanal level. Elsea would lose to Chalifoux now if they wrestled as well.

Elsea was one of the better 120lb(ers) in a while and would have been older than Chalifoux.  Would be a good match giving nod to Elsea based on age, strength and natural size.  May be different if both are same age. As for King, he was 15 years old at the time he won 132 DII.  I'm guessing Connell was at least 18 years old when he won.  Of course, Connell would have won based upon age difference.  May be different if same age, however, King will be 145, 152 or 160 as a 17 year old senior next year.