New 6A Playoff Bracket

I wasn't exactly sure how the 2nd round draws would be setup, so I took the time to look it up for you guys.  I'll only post 1 quad so you can get the jest of it.   This may prove helpful for  you Region 2 folks if you're trying to figure out where you need to finish to avoid Maryvlle as long as you can....lol

#1 Region 1 vs  #8 Region 2

#4 Region 2 vs  #5 Region 1

]

#3 Region 1 vs #6 Region 2

]

#2 Region 2 vs #7 Region 1

#1 Region 2 vs. #8 Region 1

]

#4 Region 1 vs  #5 Region  2

]

#3 Region 2 vs #6 Region 1

]

#2 Region 1 vs #7 Region 2

#1,#3, #5, and #7 in Region 2 will avoid the Region 1 champ (Maryville in all likelihood) until the Semi Finals.

Easy way to remember things....If your an ODD number finisher, you avoid the other brackets number one seed.  If your an EVEN number finisher you avoid the #1 seed in your own region!

Edited by FreeAgent11

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarles had some interesting comments on the sports animal in Knoxville a day or so ago. Basically he said, if everybody is in the playoff, what does it matter if you play during the year. Everybody gets a chance at the end of the regular season. Meaning, forget the long trips. Just play meaningful games in your area. Let the powers that be seed them however they see fit.

I have been pondering a scenario. Let's say a team like Lebanon goes 0-10 and faces Whitehaven in the first round. What keeps them from forfeiting the game and saving the money from travel. What if the principal or AD agree it's not being a good steward of school monies to make such a trip. I'm not saying either team would do it. I'm just wondering what would keep a team from doing that.

I have been pondering a scenario. Let's say a team like Lebanon goes 0-10 and faces Whitehaven in the first round. What keeps them from forfeiting the game and saving the money from travel. What if the principal or AD agree it's not being a good steward of school monies to make such a trip. I'm not saying either team would do it. I'm just wondering what would keep a team from doing that.

That's a good question. Something like that could have a lot of ramifications.

Another question to ponder ... If you are the TSSAA ... do you want to MAKE a school participate in post season play? In that scenerio or any other?

That's a good question. Something like that could have a lot of ramifications.

Another question to ponder ... If you are the TSSAA ... do you want to MAKE a school participate in post season play? In that scenerio or any other?

I think you guys are really reaching here.  How many times has a team declined a playoff spot (especially among the top 32 enrollments in the State).  I might could see a small school doing this on a rare occasion.  

I think a much bigger possibility would be one of the 32 teams being banned from post season play for TSSAA violations.  In which case the other team would be awarded a first round forfeit and advancement to the second round.

I think you guys are really reaching here.  How many times has a team declined a playoff spot (especially among the top 32 enrollments in the State).  I might could see a small school doing this on a rare occasion.  

I think a much bigger possibility would be one of the 32 teams being banned from post season play for TSSAA violations.  In which case the other team would be awarded a first round forfeit and advancement to the second round.

Even if it is a reach ... it is still a possibility, is it not? And if it is ... the question remains ... what's in place to address it? We are currently watching the NFL try to address some issues where there was no policy in place, and the NFL came out looking bad in how they handled these situations.

It's best to be prepared for any possible scenerio ... no matter how far of a reach that scenrio may appear to be.

Edited by kwc

I'm not saying this would ever happen, but how stupid would the T$$AA look if at the end of the year the 6A state champs record was 5-10. It could happen but highly unlikely. A team should earn a playoff spot not be given one just because of the number of students enrolled

I don't think the TSSAA would look stupid at all. If a winless team won the state championship ... I would think that, THAT story would be worthy of a movie script! Talk about defeating the odds!

Edited by kwc

I really like that bracket for the playoffs much better...may not like the travel.  The last few years it's been play the teams in your district, and then play the same teams again in the playoffs.

If this continues, would like to see the playoffs on a four year rotation:

Region 1/2 -  highest seed at home or alternate home/home if equal seeds

Region 1/3 and 2/4 - same deal as above.

Really, like seeing new teams in the playoffs.  In that second scenario, what is the longest possible trip? Maybe Dickson County vs DB?