coaches whom curse alot

fooseball96

One of my favorite coaches that I ever had the pleasure to play for was Donnie Yates at Cleveland middle school. He was a very tough hard nosed coach but would do anything for his kids on and off the field. He had a way of inspiring his players using a Christian approach and was one of the best. My question is, how do you feel about your kid playing for a coach that curses a lot. Which do you prefer or does it even matter?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite coaches that I ever had the pleasure to play for was Donnie Yates at Cleveland middle school. He was a very tough hard nosed coach but would do anything for his kids on and off the field. He had a way of inspiring his players using a Christian approach and was one of the best. My question is, how do you feel about your kid playing for a coach that curses a lot. Which do you prefer or does it even matter?

In my opinion if they do not abuse the kids,what happens on the field stays on the field!

I'll admit I'm a little biased coming from CAK and a program where that would not be tolerated. Having said that, I think many coaches inspire their kids in different ways. I think the most important thing perhaps is to be consistent. If my kid played for a coach that preached their religion all the time, I would have even more of a problem with them using profanity, than them playing for a coach that never pretended to be religious. But all things considered, I don't want 30 - 50 year old men setting the example to my kids that the way you communicate things with emphasis is by using 4 letter words. YMMV. Just my opinion.

I go to a Maryville practice from time to time every now and then and there are a lot of other people that do as well and you never hear anything to my knowledge like that there. Now they have a hothead or two and I've seen GQ lose his cool which isn't much but I'm sure proud to say if it dose I sure don't hear it. I also played for Ted B. Wilson back in the mid 70's at Maryville that won three state championships back in the day when only four teams went to the playoffs and was expanded to eight when I played and you never heard a peep out of any of our coaches either. Ted would always say' dad gum your hide' and Coach Story was our tough guy we feared if he got mad but also never said anything out of place to any of us and it's so good that tradition has been kelp in place at Maryville. I remember scrimmaging teams back in the day that were a lot bigger schools and you would hear their coaches cuss like sailors at their team and I'm sure glad we were never subjected to that. I think that is one of the reasons all those coaches I mentioned at Maryville were so liked by all that ever played for them.

There is a fine line that most rational people recognize. As long as it's not excessive I don't see a problem with it. In fact, sometimes a d**n or a s*** simply better conveys a point. We've all been there. And as another poster pointed out, there's not a word out there these kids don't already know.

As long as a coach does it moderately and doesn't verbally abuse a kid, let the man do his job.

I go to a Maryville practice from time to time every now and then and there are a lot of other people that do as well and you never hear anything to my knowledge like that there. Now they have a hothead or two and I've seen GQ lose his cool which isn't much but I'm sure proud to say if it dose I sure don't hear it. I also played for Ted B. Wilson back in the mid 70's at Maryville that won three state championships back in the day when only four teams went to the playoffs and was expanded to eight when I played and you never heard a peep out of any of our coaches either. Ted would always say' dad gum your hide' and Coach Story was our tough guy we feared if he got mad but also never said anything out of place to any of us and it's so good that tradition has been kelp in place at Maryville. I remember scrimmaging teams back in the day that were a lot bigger schools and you would hear their coaches cuss like sailors at their team and I'm sure glad we were never subjected to that. I think that is one of the reasons all those coaches I mentioned at Maryville were so liked by all that ever played for them.

I think your point is similar to mine. You don't have to curse at them to win state championships. So with high school kids, I would prefer not to have it, just like I didn't curse at my kids to correct them. Having said that, it's not like I feel like that makes them a bad coach, it is just my opinion of what I would prefer with my kids.

I don't see it as a problem at all. It's just a part of the culture like it is in the military. And it's not just the coaches either, the players often cuss as much as or more than the coaches. I know I have heard alot of cussing from WB players over the years. I don't like how people are trying to make everything so PC these days. My brother played at McMinn Central and he said the players and coaches all cussed like sailors. But one night the vice principal decided that he was going to stand on the sidelines and police them and they all resented him for it.