The Commercial Appeal's Pre-season Dandy Dozen Team Capsules

kwc

The Commercial Appeal's Pre-season Dandy Dozen Team Capsules

Dandy Dozen No. 12: Fast start a must for St. George's

John Varlas
1:25 PM, Aug 16, 2015

gc_stgeorge3_22791348_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

After last season’s slow start, St. George’s coach David Carter is expecting better. “I think inexperience was a lot of the reason why we were slow out of the gate,†he said. (Jim Weber / The Commercial Appeal)

In a relatively short time, St. George’s has developed into one of the signature programs in the Shelby-Metro area.

The Gryphons, who began full varsity play only a decade ago, have won two state championships in Division 2-A (2007, 2011) and have finished runner-up on three other occasions. St. George’s has reached at least the semifinals in every season since 2009, a run it extended last year when a 28-7 loss to Battle Ground Academy ended their season at that stage.

That loss left St. George’s with a 7-5 record, disappointing only by the program’s own lofty standards.

“It was a disappointment,†said senior offensive tackle and Arkansas State commitment Jacob Still. “It’s not where we wanted to be. The goal this year is definitely to get back to Cookeville.â€

On paper at least, the Gryphons, who open the year ranked 12th in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen, have the talent to make this season another special one. But they’ll have to avoid the slow start they had last season.

After a victory over Jackson Trinity Christian to open the year, St. George’s lost four of its next five contests and third-year coach David Carter said he’s expecting things to be a lot better this year.

“I think inexperience was a lot of the reason why we were slow out of the gate,†he said. “We’ve matured and we now what to expect and that experience is going to be immeasurable. But there’s not a lot of depth on both sides of the ball or even depth at (certain) positions.â€

What Carter lacks in depth though he makes up for in quality, headed by two of the best players in the area at their respective positions, senior offensive lineman Jacob Still and junior running back Chase Hayden.

Still, who will be starting for the fourth straight year, is the leader on a line that brings back all five starters from 2014. And that’s good news for Hayden, who was a Mr. Football finalist last season and rushed for 1,449 yards (eight yards per carry) and 15 touchdowns during the regular season.

“We have good senior leadership all around,†said Still. “Our seniors are going to play a huge, huge role for us. And Chase Hayden is just tremendous.â€

The rest of the Gryphons’ offense should be just fine too.

Ben Glass returns for his junior season at quarterback after throwing for 1,020 yards and 10 touchdowns as a sophomore starter and Carter said the extra year of familiarity with the system should pay big dividends this fall. Spencer Smith and Will Patterson also could see time under center.

Whoever plays quarterback will have a big-time playmaker to throw to in junior Corey Jones, who caught 46 passes for 732 yards and eight scores.

“Corey Jones is just phenomenal,†said Carter.

Defensively, the Gryphons lost some key faces, most notably all-star linebackers Clay Crenshaw and Lorenzo Cantu. Jake Lindow and Nick Bourdeau should fill those holes nicely though.

Talented defensive end Noah Pope anchors the line while Jones and Hayden both figure to contribute in the secondary.

A closer look at St. George's

Coach:
David Carter (third season)

Record in 2014:
7-5 (lost to Battle Ground Academy, 28-7, in Division 2-A semifinals)

Region:
Division 2-A West

Top returnees:
RB Chase Hayden, OL Jacob Still, DL Noah Pope, WR-DB Corey Jones, LB Jake Lindow

Did you know?:
The Gryphons will have five former Division 1 college players on their coaching staff: Barry Brunetti (Ole Miss), Scott Vogel (Memphis) and three former Tennessee Vols (Aaron Hayden, Andre Lott and Eric Still).

Edited by kwc

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dandy Dozen No. 11: New coach, star QB aim to keep Arlington on a roll

John Varlas
1:35 PM, Aug 16, 2015

ARL_Coach02_22791349_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Arlington head football coach Adam Sykes, promoted from offensive coordinator, hopes to build on a 10-3 season after helping to start the program a decade ago. (Nikki Boertman / The Commercial Appeal)

It was surprising when Arlington High football coach Chris Wiley decided to step down in February after a successful decade-long run as the only coach in school history.

But his replacement wasn’t a surprise to anyone.

Former offensive coordinator Adam Sykes, who helped get the program going 10 years ago, takes over this year after Wiley resigned to go into private business. And it’s a natural fit for the school, which has grown into one of the area’s best — and most consistent — programs.

Sykes wanted the job. Wiley wanted him to have the job. And the Arlington players, who open the year ranked 11th in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen, wanted him to have the job. Simple.

“I watched coach Wiley build up the program,†said Sykes, who was named interim coach before officially getting the job in April. “It’s a little different from the business side, making phone calls and making decisions.

“But coach Wiley pushed for me to get this job and he still checks on me. He’s a good friend. And we’ve got a good coaching staff ... (so) the transition has been pretty good.â€

In terms of postseason advancement, last season was the best in Arlington history. The Tigers finished 10-3, matching the school record for victories set in 2009, and reached the quarterfinals of the 6A playoffs for the first time, before bowing out to Whitehaven in a classic, 35-28.

The star of that one, like most of the team’s other games, was quarterback Tate Kolwyck, who completed 18 of 32 passes for 206 yards and three scores against one of the state’s top teams. That came a week after he threw a 27-yard touchdown pass to Jackson Boring on the final play that gave the Tigers a 34-32 second-round victory over Houston.

Not bad for a freshman who went into the 2014 season as third option and was thrust into duty only when projected starter Jonathan Bowlan transferred to Bartlett and another player also moved.

“Tate overachieved last year,†said Sykes. “We had high expectations for him, but he went well above those. He’s a great kid, humble, and it’s a blessing to have him.â€

Kolwyck credits last year’s senior-heavy team with helping make things easier for him.

“They really helped because they showed that they had a lot of confidence in me,†he said. “I was a little surprised (at his 2014 success ... he did as well as he did) but I knew I could do some things.â€

Kolwyck will likely have to play an even bigger role this year now that several of those key seniors have moved on.

Wide receiver Bryan Lewis is poised to have a big season, with veteran Everett Mitchell also returning to catch passes. Keelon Webber is a versatile running back and Sykes said this year’s offensive line will feature more size than the Tigers have had in past years.

“That’s good stuff,†Kolwyck laughed.

Defense could be a little more problematic. Pepsi Best of the Preps player of the year finalist Jonathan Mabone is among several key players who have graduated.

“We’re going to be very young,†said Sykes. “We’ll have three returning starters. We’ll be learning as we go.â€

Lineman Chris Jackson and middle linebacker Brandon Parker are two of the players Sykes will be counting on the most. In addition, a replacement will have to be found for excellent kicker Cameron Durley.

A closer look at Arlington

Coach: Adam Sykes (first season)

Record in 2014: 10-3 (lost to Whitehaven, 35-28, in the quarterfinals of the 6A playoffs)

Region: 4-6A

Top returnees: QB Tate Kolwyck; WR Bryan Lewis; RB Keelon Webber; DL Chris Jackson; LB Brandon Parker

Did you know?: Arlington played its first varsity football game on Aug. 18, 2006, defeating Tipton-Rosemark 42-12.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No 10: Millington hopes to shake injuries

John Varlas
10:21 PM, Aug 16, 2015

Millington_Coach02_22801777_ver1.0_640_4

Coach Chris Michael led Millington to an 8-4 season in 2014 despite a rash of injuries. “We were able to do enough to win, but we didn’t have our guns fully loaded,†Michael said. (Nikki Boertman/The Commercial Appeal)

Like all high school football coaches, Millington’s Chris Michael knows that injuries are part of the game. But the coach said he’d be delighted if that’s one game his Trojans don’t have to play this season.

Michael, who is heading into his sixth season, guided Millington to an 8-4 finish in 2014, losing to Henry County in the second round of the 5A playoffs. And the team did it despite a rash of injuries — something Michael had, unfortunately, seen too often before.

“That’s been kind of the norm for us the last three seasons,†said Michael. “But that’s high school football. What can you do?“ We had some kids that were thrown into the fire and had to keep their heads above water. We had to make the best of it and we were fortunate enough to have a great defense. But I’d be tickled if we could get through a season without having to deal with that.â€

Millington, which opens ranked 10th in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen, started last year with five straight victories before things started to go downhill.

Most notable among the injured were star quarterback Eldon Tyms and running back Keno Taylor, who ran for 679 yards in those five games before missing the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Things eventually got so bad that Michael was forced to shut down his freshman team, because those players were needed to fill in on the varsity.

“We started a freshman quarterback and a freshman tailback in Week 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10,†Michael said. “And even then, we went into what was basically the district championship game against Arlington with a chance. ... We were able to do enough to win, but we didn’t have our guns fully loaded.â€

Despite it all, though, the Trojans had their best season since going 9-2 in 2011.

“We just had to fight and come together as a team,†said senior defensive back Jonathan Clements. “We were 5-0 with everyone healthy ... but we couldn’t let it end there. All the key players on the team, we had a meeting and we decided to come together as one.â€

Millington’s top gun is, of course, senior Tyms, who Michael said “should be the best quarterback in the area this year.†The 5-10, 185-pounder is the prototypical pass-run QB and brings a wealth of starting experience.

“Eldon is a tremendous football player,†said Clements. “Whew, that’s a hardworking man right there.â€

Tyms will have some great weapons to work with in Taylor and D’Monte Kemp, both juniors, and receiver Kameron Middleton. But Michael really gets excited when discussing senior receiver Kip Fleming.

“Taylor went through the spring really well,†said Michael. “He hasn’t shown any ill effects. And Fleming is just a phenomenal big-play receiver with great hands.â€

The line also will be solid with Nick Feeney and Chance Taylor — two players who got valuable experience due to the injury crisis — returning.

Best of the Preps defensive player of the year finalist Patrick Macon is just one of the key losses on defense, a unit which Michael says will be undergoing “close to a total rebuilding job.â€

The top returnee is linebacker-strong safety Clements, a first-team all-district choice in 2014. The run defense has the potential to be a strong point, with players such as Feeney, Middleton and Darnell Nelson shouldering much of the responsibility.

Another glaring hole will be at the kicker spot, where a replacement will have to be found for all-star Luke Bell.

“I think sometimes as a coach you don’t appreciate a good kicker until they’ve graduated,†said Michael. “Then you look around and say, ‘Oh my goodness, what do we do?’ Good kickers don’t grow on trees at Millington.â€

A closer look at Millington

Coach: Chris Michael (sixth season)

Record in 2014: 8-4 (lost to Henry County, 26-16, in second round of 5A playoffs)

Region: 8-4A

Top returnees: QB Eldon Tyms, WR Kip Fleming, DB-LB Jonathan Clements, OL-DL Nick Feeney, RB Keno Taylor

Did you know? Tyms and Clements have been playing together since they were 8.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 9: Trezevant rebuilding after strong year

John Varlas

10:22 PM, Aug 16, 2015

trezevant_mon_002_22801778_ver1.0_640_48

Junior running back Cordarrian Richardson, who has multiple Division 1 offers, will be a key element this fall as Trezevant ties to rebuild after a 13-2 season in 2014.

trezevant_mon_001_22801779_ver1.0_640_48

August 11, 2015 — Justin Swift, a linebacker for Trezevant High School, plays the position of quarterback for a number of offensive drills during practice at Trezevant High School.

(Brad Vest/The Commercial Appeal)

The Trezevant High football team did just about everything it could do in 2014.

Coach Teli White’s Bears went 13-2 and reached the 4A state championship game for the second time in four years. And Trezevant very easily could have been champion, falling to Knoxville powerhouse Fulton 29-20 in a game in which it fumbled 10 times, losing five.

White, in his ninth season as head coach, appreciates what he had with that group, several of whom are now playing college football. And while there’s still plenty of talent, the coach said there’s a long way to go for his team, which opens the year ranked ninth in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen.

“We’re not tough,†he said. “We’re not physical; we’re soft. Right now, we’re just a bunch of guys that say they play football for Trezevant High. They don’t understand what it takes.

“Last year, you had guys like (linemen) Tony Grandberry, Albert Terry, QuZarrius Lacy. ... They played 15 games and they never came to the sideline one time making excuses. If I told (star running back) Jamal (Jones, who is now at Arkansas State) he wasn’t running hard enough, he’d say, ‘OK, I’ll do better.’

“It’s going to take time and I’m having to be a lot more lenient with this team. But they’re either going to come around or go play somewhere else where the coach thinks they’re getting a tough player just because they came from Trezevant, but they’re not.â€

One thing most certainly tough will be the schedule. Trezevant has non-league games against Southaven, Nashville Ensworth, DeSoto Central and East.

“I couldn’t get anybody to play,†White said. “I’d call coaches and say, ‘Hey, I’ve got an opening in week 2. And they’d be like, ‘Who’s this? Coach White? Sorry, I’m trying to win games.’ Click.

The personnel losses are significant; Trezevant returns only one starter on offense and two on defense and there are only five seniors on the roster. And Jarrell Starnes, the architect of Trezevant’s superb defense the last few seasons, left to take the head coaching job at Fairley.

But if White can get his players to flip the switch, he should still have a solid team, especially considering Trezevant is now competing in 2A after TSSAA reclassification.

Justin Swift, a 6-2, 215-pound linebacker who is attracting considerable college interest, is back to anchor the defense. And White will have plenty of plays called for 5-11, 222-pound junior running back Cordarrian Richardson, who ran for 144 yards in the title game last year and who already has offers from schools such as Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

Antonio Nelson is developing into a leader along the lines, and White is looking forward to seeing Twan Johnson at quarterback. Sophomore lineman Marquell Dailey also shows plenty of promise.

“We scrimmaged Whitehaven, MUS, Southwind, Bartlett and CBHS and we did OK,†White said. “The seniors have been with the program now for four years ... but you can’t have a program without discipline. I tell them, ‘I can go 5-5 with you or without you.’â€

A closer look at Trezevant

Coach: Teli White (ninth year)

Record in 2014: 13-2 (lost to Knoxville Fulton, 29-20, in 4A state championship game)

Region: 8-2A

Top returnees: RB Cordarrian Richardson, LB Justin Swift, QB Twan Johnson, OL Antonio Nelson

Did you know? Football players had six of the top 10 grade-point averages in Trezevant’s class of 2015, led by valedictorian Tito Hunter.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 8: Germantown, under new coach, hoping for Red Devil revival

John Varlas
4:56 PM, Aug 17, 2015

Rodney-Williams_1439848735129_22837655_v

Germantown High reciever Rodney Williams was all-metro in football and basketball in 2014.

There are no prizes for having a great offseason. But if a summer championship was awarded, the Germantown Red Devils would be viable candidates.

Coach Chris Smith comes to Germantown from Blytheville (Arkansas) to replace Charlie White, who resigned after 12 seasons on the heels of a 4-6 finish in 2014. That marked the third straight season of .500 or below for one of the area’s tradition-rich programs, and Smith’s arrival has rekindled optimism among players and supporters that a return to the good old days may not be too far behind.

“Coach Smith is a great coach,†said senior defensive back Christion Willett. “He’s come in and really motivated us; now we know what hard work means. It’s something we talk about all the time, rebuilding the program. And the seniors want to be the ones that set the tone for getting it back to that level.â€

Added senior offensive lineman Leon Nguyen: “I love my school. I feel like I go to the best school in the city ... and we want to bring the ‘G’ back.â€

Smith’s fingerprints are all over the place.

The player numbers are up, with 100 or so players on the varsity and another 60 on the freshman team. Parental interest is on the rise, too. But the most significant gains have come in the weight room.

Smith said since the team began its offseason weightlifting program in January, the average weight gain per player has been 17 pounds. And while that alone won’t win games, it’s a big step in the right direction.

“We’ve been hammering at it in the weight room since Jan. 17,†he said. “The players are transforming their bodies, and they’re starting to see results and see the light at the end of the tunnel. And we have a staff of young assistant coaches that are compassionate and competitive.

“This (rebuilding) job hasn’t been as tough as some of the others I’ve been a part of because there isn’t a loser’s mentality here. This is a football school.â€

Said Nguyen, a 6-3, 295-pounder, “Now, we’re pumped to hit the weight room. Coach Smith is so enthusiastic, and he’s brought in much-needed discipline. We get right to work now, no talking back.â€

With seven starters returning on each side of the ball, the Red Devils could be ready to contend.

The biggest workout warrior is probably linebacker Josh Puryear, who has bulked up from 205 to 245 and should challenge for all-star honors as a senior. Willett holds things down in the secondary along with Evan Hoover, who has been clocked at 4.47 in the 40. Junior Trey Goins anchors the D-line.

Smith said he has “a good problem to have†at quarterback, where Marcus Mitchell and Miles Guyton will compete for the starting job. At 6-6 and 225 pounds, Mitchell boasts tremendous size and has a nice arm, while Guyton is adept at making all the reads in the no-huddle system.

Cameron Taweri is one of several talented running backs who Smith said have made the adjustment to the new system. They’ll have plenty of beef to run behind, led by Nguyen, Felipe Martini (6-5, 300) and David Campbell (6-2, 260).

But the star of the show could be wide receiver Rodney Williams. An all-metro performer in both football and basketball in 2014, Williams has bulked up to 198 pounds on a 6-4½ frame, making him a tough cover for most defensive backs.

A closer look at Germantown

Coach: Chris Smith (first season)

Record in 2014: 4-6

Top returnees: WR Rodney Williams; DB Christion Willett; LB Josh Puryear; RB Cameron Taweri; OL Felipe Martini

Did you know?: Germantown has more playoff appearances (79) and victories (53) than any other school in Shelby County.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 7: Ridgeway aiming high again

John Varlas
5:30 PM, Aug 18, 2015

Darron-Johnson_1439847199768_22837621_ve

Ridgeway linebacker Darron Johnson (center) will be a defensive leader on a team that's expected to continue the program's high standards of playoff success.

Entering his sixth season at Ridgeway, coach Duron Sutton has the football program at a level that few schools in the area can match.

So even though there have been some significant losses from last year’s team that went 12-2 and lost to Nashville Hillsboro in the 5A state semifinals, the Roadrunners’ standards remain high.

“I’ve been around long enough for the players to know me and to know what to expect,†Sutton said. “We have a system that’s been successful and players have come up through that system. Do we expect to be a top team? Yes.â€

Ridgeway — which opens the year ranked seventh in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen — is the only Division 1 team in the city to have reached at least the quarterfinals in each of the last five seasons. And if that streak is to reach six, last year’s role players will have to be this year’s stars.

“We just have to put in the work and the discipline to be successful,†said senior linebacker Darron Johnson. “We can’t get caught up with a lot of egos. We lost some guys, but we have a lot of talent.â€

And it starts with Johnson, a 6-1, 225-pounder who will be one of the area’s best defensive players this year.

“He’s taken it upon himself to lead by example,†Sutton said. “He does everything you could ask for.†Johnson will be flanked by Courtland Brown, who is now fully healthy after missing last season with a neck injury. Josh Malone and Joseph Newberry will be the anchors in the secondary.

Up front, Sutton has some “squatty bodies†that will plug the middle and keep blockers off Johnson and Brown. And while both ends have graduated, the coach is confident in new starters Cervantes Reed and Levon Miller.

“Really, we probably should have used them more last year,†he said. “We had big ends last year, but these are fast-twitch guys that can get to the quarterback in a hurry.â€

Offensively, the Roadrunners might not be quite as explosive as they were last year when they averaged 424.7 yards per game during the regular season, second only to Houston. But they still look to be very productive.

Tyrique Sandusky will be the quarterback after patiently biding his time behind the graduated Braxton Conard. Sutton said the senior will give his team something it hasn’t had in the past. “He’s bigger than Braxton and he’s one of the best athletes on the team,†he said. “He’s going to run for more yardage than Braxton did. “We wanted to get him on the field as an athlete (last year) but he said, ‘No, Coach, I’m a quarterback.’ We’re excited to see what he can do.â€

Sandusky will have three capable receivers in Vincent Taylor, Robert King and Kundarrius Taylor. And Sutton said his team shouldn’t have any trouble moving the pile, thanks to a beefy offensive line that has been bolstered by the addition of 6-7, 300-pound transfer Andrew Rose.

The key, though, will be running back Lilotis Walker. Despite being a backup, the senior has topped 1,000 yards in each of the last two seasons. But he missed the semifinal loss to Hillsboro due to a disciplinary issue. Sutton is hopeful that he’ll be able to shoulder the load this season. “He has to have the drive to be that guy,†he said. “It says a lot about his ability that he’s had two 1,000-yard seasons as a backup but now he’s going to be the No. 1 guy. “He’s not going to be the guy that comes in when the defense is tired; he’s going to have to be the one that gets them tired. This is Walker’s time.â€

A closer look at Ridgeway

Coach:
Duron Sutton (sixth season)

Record in 2014:
12-2 (lost to Nashville Hillsboro, 35-7, in 5A semifinals)

Region:
8-4A

Top returnees:
LB Darron Johnson; DB Josh Malone; RB Lilotis Walker; QB Tyrique Sandusky; DB Joseph Newberry

Did you know?:
The Roadrunners have advanced to at least the state quarterfinals every year under Sutton.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 6: White Station has talent, tough competition

John Varlas
11:15 AM, Aug 18, 2015

whitestation_sat2_9330701_ver1.0_640_480

Central High’s Deountario Brown attempts to drag down White Station’s Dillon Mitchell during the Spartans’ 24-6 upset of the fifth-ranked Warriors on Friday night at the Fairgrounds.

(By Dale L. Anderson/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

The White Station football team is no stranger to a challenging schedule. Just in the last four years the Spartans have had teams like Ridgeway, CBHS, Murfreesboro Oakland and South Panola among their nonleague opposition.

But with the formation of the new 32-team 6A this year, the stakes have been raised.

“I was talking to another coach and he asked me how I was liking things in the SEC West,†said third-year Spartans coach Joe Rocconi. “And I thought about it ... it’s not the SEC but it’s pretty good.â€

The move to Region 4-6A is just one of the challenges facing the Spartans, who open the year ranked sixth in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen.

League contests against schools like Hamilton and Overton will now be replaced by games against schools like Arlington, Houston and Collierville. And the White Station-Whitehaven game — which has developed into one of the area’s best rivalries over the last few seasons — remains.

Add nonleague games against CBHS, DeSoto Central and Olive Branch and it becomes clear the Spartans will be thoroughly tested come playoff time.

“It’s going to be incredible to play that kind of competition week in and week out,†Rocconi said. “We’re excited.â€

As well they should be. Because even though the Spartans have to plug in some new faces in key positions, they enter the year with one of the best collections of skill players anywhere in town.

And it starts with Dillon Mitchell.

The 6-1, 189-pounder — who will graduate in December to enroll at Oregon in time for spring drills — will contend for AAA Mr. Football honors after a stellar junior season that saw him account for 2,238 yards and 23 touchdowns in 11 games.

Mitchell scored touchdowns five different ways last year and Rocconi said the plan is to get him all the touches he can handle this year.

“We have some (new) things but I’m not revealing what they are,†he said with a laugh. “I think last year, he might have caught some teams off guard but now everybody knows about him.

“And honestly last year we didn’t run the ball as well as we needed too. He’s still going to be the big focus but we’re going to have to do better collectively.â€

Hard-nosed Burk Williams returns at quarterback after starting as a junior last year. Roland Williams III and Myles Baker are two proven receivers while John Lyons is an intriguing h-back/tight end prospect.

Ty Woodard figures to get most of the carries and Rocconi said safety Trevor Forbes also looked promising at running back. The coach said the O-line will be the biggest question mark but the return of left tackle Jalen James — injured all last year — will be a big help.

“We’ve got some younger guys that are going to step up,†Burk Williams said.

Defensively, Rocconi is “expecting a big year†from inside linebacker Kurstain Cowan. Darrell “Bam†Howard lives up to his nickname along the defensive line and the secondary should be fine with Forbes, Roland Williams and Baker.

Kicker Micah Breckenridge is one of the area’s best and Mitchell is a threat to go all the way on any return — provided any kicks actually come his way.

“We’ve got some players who we think are going to be really good,†Rocconi said. “The question is, are they going to be good enough to compete at a high level?â€

A closer look at White Station

Coach: Joe Rocconi (third year)

Record in 2014: 4-7 (lost to Whitehaven, 41-35, in first round of the 6A playoffs)

Top returnees: WR Dillon Mitchell; WR-DB Roland Williams III; WR-DB Myles Baker; QB Burk Williams; LB Kurstain Cowan

Did you know?: In every odd-numbered year since 2009, the Spartans have reached at least the 6A quarterfinals (state title in 2009, quarters in 2011, semis in 2013).

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 5: New coach Thomas McDaniel embraces high expectations at CBHS

John Varlas
11:45 AM, Aug 18, 2015

gc_cbhs2_22847279_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Christian Brothers football Coach Thomas McDaniel works with lineman Conner Cremerius during practice at CBHS.

(Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

As a native Memphian, Thomas McDaniel is very familiar with the tradition of CBHS football.

And he knows all about the program’s high expectations and why 6-5 seasons like the one the Brothers had in 2014 aren’t going to satisfy many fans.

But knowing all that, McDaniel isn’t shying from the challenges ahead. “It’s a great situation,†said McDaniel, who coached Murfreesboro Oakland to the 5A state championship in 2008 and replaces Scott Vogel, who is now an assistant at St. George’s.

“We had a great situation in Middle Tennessee, too. But (CBHS) is a school that’s 150 years old and has been playing football for a very long time. You can say the expectations are very high but in one respect that’s one of the reasons why this job was so appealing.

“I want the expectations to be high. But nobody is going to put more stress and responsibility on me than myself.â€

The transition has been a smooth one for McDaniel, whose team opens the year ranked fifth in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen. After commuting between Memphis and Murfreesboro for the first couple of months on the job his family has now settled in and Team McDaniel feels right at home.

“I couldn’t ask for more,†he said. “The kids have been phenomenal. The staff has come together and we’re building a rapport and a camaraderie. It’s been a very welcoming environment.â€

The change been a welcome for the players, too.

“He’s brought a lot of energy to the program that I think was much needed,†said two-way senior standout Ben Hill. “He’s not afraid to step on anyone’s toes and I think that’s the kind of approach the we needed. He treats us like men.â€

If the addition of a proven winner like McDaniel wasn’t enough reason for optimism, the Brothers also welcome back several key components from last year’s team that lost to Chattanooga Baylor in the Division 2-AA quarterfinals.

One of the keys will be Hill, who plays tight end on offense and will also see action at defensive end. At 6-2 and 220, he has the size that will make him an attractive target for returning starting quarterback Keegan Voss.

McDaniel is excited about the potential of running back Austin Lee, who at 5-5 stands low to the ground but is very difficult to bring down. Cole Kelly and Aaron Davis will be the top receivers and the line looks solid, too, with J.J. Reisedge, Spencer Blakely and Jordon O’Neil — a 6-4, 300-pounder who saw limited action last year — expected to stand out.

“We’re going to be multiple on offense,†said McDaniel. “We’ll be under the gun some, under center some, one back, two backs. We have some good weapons.â€

Hill will be joined on the D-line by a pair of tackles who saw action as freshmen in 2014, Patrick Healy and Bryce Bush. Owen Martin leads the linebackers, who will get a boost when Ryan Thomas returns from injury. Deonte Woods — who will spell Lee at running back — and Lawson Wherry are the top players in the secondary.

“We’ll be in a 4-3 that’s not totally foreign to what the kids did last year,†said McDaniel. “Since I got here in February, the focus has been on building speed and strength. We’re a lot farther along than I thought we would be a month ago.â€

A closer look at CBHS

Coach: Thomas McDaniel (first season)

Record in 2014: 6-5 (lost to Chattanooga Baylor, 10-7, in Division 2-AA quarterfinals)

Region: Division 2-AA West

Top returnees: TE-DE Ben Hill; RB Austin Lee; QB Keegan Voss; OL J.J. Reisedge; DB-RB Deonte Woods

Did you know?: New Brothers coach Thomas McDaniel — who coached Murfreesboro Oakland to the 5A state title in 2008 — is a graduate of Bartlett High.

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 4: DeSoto Central ready to take big step

John Varlas
1:42 PM, Aug 19, 2015

ds_desotocentral7_22848357_ver1.0_640_48

August 3, 2015 - DeSoto Central football coach Matt Wallace is beginning his sixth season with the Jaguars. (Stan Carroll/The Commercial Appeal)

Matt Wallace said there was kind of a weird vibe surrounding his DeSoto Central football team during preseason drills. But weird in a good way.

“Usually I’ll tell people when we start practice that it’s the worst stuff I’ve ever seen,†said Wallace, beginning his sixth season with the Jaguars, who are ranked fourth in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen.

“But this year there haven’t been any mental busts ... everyone knows exactly what to do. I’ve been looking around like, ‘Who am I going to yell at?’

“I’m not going to say it’s because we’re more focused (but) we’ve been running the same schemes for three years now. Everybody knows what to do. Whether that’s good or bad (for his team’s chances) I don’t know.â€

DeSoto Central has made steady strides since Wallace’s first season in 2010 when the Jaguars hit rock-bottom, finishing 0-11. In fact, they’ve progressed so much that last year’s 6-6 campaign could legitimately be called a big disappointment.

“Oh yeah,†Wallace said. “We’ve set a standard and we were looking to take the next step. Six and six is not where we wanted to be. We lost to Tupelo on the last play of the game and there were a couple of other games ... we could have easily been 9-3.

“But the other side to that is we could have easily been 3-9. DeSoto Central used to be the whippin’ boy, but we’re not able to sneak up on anybody any more.â€

Said senior running back Alan Lamar, “Last year was a stepping stone. This is the year we’re going to make a playoff run.â€

If DeSoto Central is ever going to take the step from good to great, this will be the year. The Jaguars have 36 seniors on the roster, including a host of players who will be starting for the third straight year.

Among those is quarterback Cameron Bowman, who completed 62.5 percent of his passes last season for 1,336 yards and nine touchdowns. Behind him is one of the best running backs in the state, Lamar, who ran for 1,654 yards and 15 scores.

“We have to lead and help the younger guys grow along the way,†said Lamar, a 5-8, 185-pounder who has offers from Air Force, Army, Louisiana-Monroe and several Ivy League schools.

“We have to help them grow and mature. A team is only as strong as its weakest link. We have to be strong not only on the field but as leaders and bring everyone else up as well.â€

Bowman and Lamar will operate behind a veteran line led by Dareuan Parker, a 6-5, 335-pound Mississippi State commitment, and Kendall Terry, a 6-1, 305-pounder who Wallace says “may be just as good.â€

The key will be the production of the wideouts; if Jesse Curry and especially Keshunn Abram — a tremendously talented 6-3, 190-pound junior — can stretch the field, opponents won’t be able to stack the box like they did at times last year.

Defensively, the Jags return eight starters although, as Wallace is quick to point out, the three who are gone — linebackers Chris Jones and Cortez Sisco and cornerback Tre Spann — are all playing in college. Linebacker Peyton McMahon is back, though, and Wallace couldn’t be happier.

“He was the third-leading tackler in the state in 6A (with 139),†he said. “I wouldn’t trade him for Ray Lewis. He’s 5-8; if he were 6-feet he’d have SEC offers.â€

Abram (team-high four interceptions) and John Brooks anchor the secondary. And seven of the eight players who rotated along the D-line return.

The schedule will be a bear. DeSoto Central opens with a Thursday night game against Jensen Beach (Fla.) at the ESPN Complex in Orlando today. White Station and Trezevant are also on the schedule before Region 1-6A play begins with a trip to Columbus on Sept. 25.

A closer look at DeSoto Central

Coach: Matt Wallace (sixth season)

Record in 2014: 6-6

Region: MHSAA 1-6A

Top returnees: RB Alan Lamar; OL Dareuan Parker; QB Cameron Bowman; LB Peyton McMahon; WR Jesse Curry; WR-DB Keshun Abram

Did you know: Lamar, the team’s standout running back, is a star in the classroom as well. In July, the senior was named to the National Society of High School Scholars.
Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 3: East boasts talent, experience

John Varlas
3:05 PM, Aug 19, 2015

east_thur1_OP_2_CP__22936338_ver1.0_640_

August 18, 2015 — Flanked by quarterback Eric Banks, East High School football Coach Marcus Wimberly calls the next play during practice at East High School. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

east_thur2_OP_2_CP__22936339_ver1.0_640_

August 18, 2015 — East High School’s Timothy Taylor (right) tries to pull free from a tackle while practicing plays with the team at East High School. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

east_thur3_OP_2_CP__22936340_ver1.0_640_

August 18, 2015 — East High School quarterback Eric Banks (center) looks for a receiver down field while practicing plays with the team at East High School. (Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

There were times during the first part of last season when the best football team in Memphis wasn’t Whitehaven or Trezevant or MUS but the East High Mustangs.

Coach Marcus Wimberly’s squad roared out of the box with victories in its first six games, scoring plenty of points in the process while holding four opponents to a touchdown or less. But some injuries brought things to a halt and East stumbled home with losses in four of its last five, including a 55-21 setback against Ridgeway in the first round of the 5A playoffs that left it with a 7-4 mark.

It wasn’t the ending East fans envisioned in September. But with a host of talented players returning, this could very well be the year the Mustangs — who open the year ranked third in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen — put it all together.

“Those first six games, I think we were among the best, if not the best, in the city,†said Wimberly, now in his 10th season at his alma mater. “But when you lose some guys to injury and have to flip some (others) around, it tends to hurt.

“We’ve spent the whole offseason working on building our depth. We’ve had some guys step up and our seniors have been very unselfish. It’s a long season and they know we need guys to be fresh at the end of games.â€

If Wimberly sounds confident, it’s because he is. This year’s roster features 18 seniors and 16 juniors who have been through the wars and know what’s expected of them.

“We’ve been working on our leadership,†said senior running back DeVante Turner. “These young guys, they watch every single thing you do.â€

Added quarterback Eric Banks, “If you slack up, then they’ll slack up.â€

Turner — who ran for 1,501 yards and scored 22 touchdowns during the regular season and is the city’s leading returning ground gainer — is just one of many exceptional skill players on the Mustangs roster.

Receiver Teddrick McGhee is one of the most gifted athletes in the area and already has offers from schools such as Arkansas State and MTSU. He’ll be complimented by senior Terreyo Nailor and junior Nygel Bird, while Timothy Taylor will see action in the backfield.

The key though will be the play of Banks, a rangy, 6-5 senior with excellent athleticism and a nice arm.

“He needs to distribute the ball,†said Wimberly. “We’ll go as far as he takes us.â€

Despite the abundance of playmaking talent, though, Wimberly says his team will depend on defense. Most everyone will be going both ways — including veterans Jesse Brookins and Irana Moore along the line.

“We know we’re going to be able to put up points,†said Banks, who was a part of East’s state tournament basketball team last season. “We just have to stop our opponents.â€

East has been reclassified as a 4A team this year and will compete in a rugged Region 8 that has two other preseason Dandy Dozen squads, No. 10 Millington and seventh-ranked Ridgeway. And the path to a state championship will almost certainly have to go through mighty Knoxville Fulton, the two-time defending champs who have won 36 straight games.

It will be a challenge, but as Wimberly said, “We’re used to it. We played in 16-AAA ... so it’s all the same to us.â€

A closer look at East:

Coach: Marcus Wimberly (10th season)

Record in 2014: 7-4 (lost to Ridgeway, 55-21, in the first round of the 5A playoffs)

Region: 8-4A

Top returnees: ATH Teddrick McGhee; RB DeVante Turner; OL-DL Irana Moore; OL-DL Jesse Brookins; QB Eric Banks; RB-LB Timothy Taylor

Did you know: Wimberly was selected by the Atlanta Falcons in the fifth round of the 1997 NFL Draft (no. 133 overall).

Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 2: MUS, strong at skill positions, seeks return to title game

John Varlas
2:41 PM, Aug 20, 2015

bc_mus_22847907_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

October 31, 2014 — MUS sophomore RB Bradley Foley (#28) fends off Briarcrest senior DBTyler Shamblin (#28) for extra yardage and a first down on a first quarter run. (Stan Carroll/The Commercial Appeal)

Tim Hart is hard to satisfy.

Hart — the MUS standout linebacker who committed to the University of Tennessee during the summer — said there was nothing really wrong with his team’s performance in 2014, which ended with an 8-4 record after falling to Nashville Ensworth in the Division 2-AA state semifinals. It’s just that, he’s looking for bigger and better this time around.

“That’s my takeaway from last year; there’s always something different we could have done,†he said. “I’m the type of person where even if we won the state championship, I’d be asking if there was something else I could have done. Now, we have to stay hungry and finish.â€

Which must be welcome words to coach Bobby Alston as the Owls gear up for a run at their third trip to the state championship game in four years.

“Any time you can make it to the state semifinals, you’ve had a pretty good year,†said Alston, whose team will open the season ranked second in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen. “I was pleased with the way we progressed. We showed a lot of resiliency ... we weren’t always a team that clicked all the time but we kept fighting and competing.â€

Alston — now in his 18th season as head coach — enters the season with some question marks but also with quite a few very good answers. That’s especially true on defense where Hart and University of Memphis commitment Thomas Pickens return for their senior seasons.

“Our corners are a little young and maybe a little inexperienced and they might make some mistakes that cost us at times,†Alston said. “But it’s a talented group. And some guys have to get comfortable on the D-line but in the past we’ve had some success with the same kind of guys we have now.

“Thomas is just a playmaker at safety. And basically our linebacking crew has a chance to be as good as we’ve ever had.â€

Hart — a rock-solid 6-1, 214-pounder who ranked third on the team in tackles despite playing in just eight games due to a torn meniscus — will be joined by William Rantzow and Evan Smith. Another talented ’backer is Jackson Dickinson, who battled injuries for much of last season.

“We’ve got some good players in that slot,†Alston said.

There are also some questions on offense. D2-AA Mr. Football lineman winner Drew Richmond is now at Tennessee and running back Colton Neel — the school’s all-time touchdown leader — has also graduated.

But — like on defense — Alston is confident in his skill players.

Juniors Cole Middlebrook and Steven Regis and sophomore Bobby Wade were in the race for the starting quarterback duties. And whoever gets the job will have the luxury of throwing to Pickens, who really came on as a receiver toward the end of last season and gives the Owls the field-stretcher they’ve been lacking since Devin Perry graduated a couple of years ago.

Hart and Josh Smith — whom Alston describes as sort of a hybrid receiver-tight end type — will also help with the pass game. The coach is also high on freshman Maurice Hampton, who “has a chance to be the best in the city†in football and who also has major SEC interest as an outfielder.

Bradley Foley figures to get the majority of the carries at running back.

“No one loves Colton Neel more than I do, but Bradley Foley is a good football player,†said Alston. “You can’t cover Pickens one on one. I like our skill guys, we just need to get some guys ready to go on the offensive line.â€

A closer look at No. 2 MUS

Coach: Bobby Alston (18th year)

Record in 2014: 8-4 (lost to Nashville Ensworth, 27-24, in Division 2-AA semifinals)

Region: Division 2-AA West

Top returnees: LB Tim Hart; DB-WR Thomas Pickens; LB William Rantzow; RB Bradley Foley; QB Cole Middlebrook; LB Evan Smith; TE Josh Smith

Did you know: The Owls have ended their season with a loss to Nashville Ensworth four straight years, twice in the D2-AA title game and twice in the semifinals.
Edited by kwc

Dandy Dozen No. 1: Close won't count for title-hungry Whitehaven

John Varlas
3:41 PM, Aug 20, 2015

whitehaven_fri_1_22992748_ver1.0_640_480

August, 19 2015 — Incoming senior Donte Vaughn, 17, cornerback for the Whitehaven High School football team, runs agility drills in heavy rain on the football field at WHS. (Brandon Dill/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

whitehaven_fri_2_22992749_ver1.0_640_480

August, 19 2015 — Players and coaches with the Whitehaven High School football team run drills in heavy rain on the football field at WHS. (Brandon Dill/Special to The Commercial Appeal)

Heading into his 12th season as Whitehaven’s football coach, Rodney Saulsberry has been around long enough to know that preseason predictions are about as worthless as an Allen Iverson Grizzlies jersey.

But as he points out, if there are preseason rankings then you might as well start at the top.

The Tigers — who won their first 13 games last year before losing to Ravenwood in the 6A state semifinals — will open the season ranked first in The Commercial Appeal’s Dandy Dozen. It makes them a big target starting with Saturday’s game against Mitchell in the Whitehaven Classic, but Saulsberry says that’s just fine.

“I tell them not to get caught up in the press clippings but why not be on top from the start,†he said. “We know our opponents want to beat a top team and we accept the challenge. But our only opponent is ourselves.â€

The Tigers are the last team other than Maryville to win the 6A championship, lifting the gold ball in 2012. They haven’t been back to Cookeville since and this year’s team wants to fix that.

“Nothing less than a state championship is our goal,†said senior defensive back Donte Vaughn. “Even if we go 14-1, the season will be a flop.â€

Added senior defensive back Rodney Saulsberry Jr., “I feel like we had a losing season last year. If we don’t go 15-0, then I don’t feel like we’re doing anything. A lot of people think we’ve fallen off but we want to prove them wrong.â€

As is usually the case at Whitehaven, the Tigers will be led by their defense. All-star linebacker Josh McMillon is now at Alabama but six starters and several others with experience return.

Perhaps the strongest area will be the secondary. The 6-3, 196-pound Vaughn has offers from schools such as Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Notre Dame and Tennessee, and Saulsberry Jr. and Jabril Malone are proven commodities. The linebacker corps, led by Barshay Wilson, Martavius Williams, Cedric Brown, Aubrey Miller and Vontavious Thacker, will also be solid.

But as the coach says “it starts up front.†Tyler Walton (6-4, 295-pound) and Shabar Wilson (Barshay’s brother) are the standouts and the unit will get a big boost when Michael Perry — who transferred from MAHS midway through last year — becomes eligible. Ole Miss and Missouri are among the schools that have offered the 6-2, 305-pound tackle.

“Our goal every year is to have the No. 1 defense in the state,†said Saulsberry Jr.

Offensively, the Tigers should be able to put up plenty of points as they compete in the newly-formed Region 4-6A.

Delvin Salter (6-4, 280), JameCole Banks, Anthony Geter and Myles Sails — grandson of legendary local basketball coach Verties Sails — form what should be a great offensive line. Last year’s starter Ayron Thompson returns at running back, backed by Kylan Watkins and Ray Booker. Tyrone Cason and the 255-pound Shabar Wilson will be the fullbacks.

“We’ve got some depth on the offensive line,†Saulsberry said. “We can go 10 or 12 deep.â€

Receiver will also be solid. Kerrick Jones — a sure-handed route-runner — is one of the top receivers in the state and Saulsberry likes what he sees in newcomer C.J. Biggins. Darrion Cole will be the new starting quarterback.

“D-Cole is doing fine,†Saulsberry said. “With a new quarterback, it’s just a matter of working on the chemistry.â€

Add it all up and it has the makings of another fine year. But Saulsberry says little things will make a big difference.

To that end, the coach recently posted a video on Twitter showing a player running a sprint drill and coming very close — but not quite touching — the line. Saulsberry used that as an illustration to his players that success means doing things the right way.

“We want them to have pride,†he said. “Pride in themselves, their homes ... we’re focused on Tiger pride and taking care of the details. Even if it’s the slightest inch, it could be an inch that makes a difference.â€

A closer look at No. 1 Whitehaven

Coach:
Rodney Saulsberry (12th season)

Record in 2014:
13-1 (lost to Ravenwood, 24-14, in 6A state semifinals)

Region:
4-6A

Top returnees:
DB Donte Vaughn; NT Michael Perry; WR Kerrick Jones; DB Rodney Saulsberry Jr.; OL Delvin Salter; RB Ayron Thompson; DT Tyler Walton

Did you know:
Whitehaven has won at least 12 games in four of the last five seasons.

Edited by kwc