Does new school attract more students / athletes

Stakeholder

I think it could be positive, but only marginally, if everything else isn't up to par. Schools in Maury County will only pull and attract kids to them when they get the overall school performance in better shape. That might never happen, and if it does, is decades away with the natural migration south out of Nashville. For the time being, most of the projected growth is all in the northern part of Maury County(mostly Spring Hill and northern Columbia) due to the natural migration I mentioned. It is widely accepted, other than the Columbia people that don't want to hear it, that Spring Hill is going to continue to grow and Spring Hill High School will either need lots of addition in the near future or a second high school will be needed northeast of Columbia. What does Maury County do in the mean time? They copy Franklin (like everything else) and do a scaled down version of what Williamson County did with the Franklin High School rebuild on the existing site. It is a mess and rebuilding on existing site was definitely not necessary. On a new site, they could've had an ALL new building with ALL new athletic facilities and still saved MILLIONS of dollars. Instead they get a partially new building with no new OUTDOOR athletic facilities and needlessly spend millions of dollars. Don't tell this to any Columbia supporters or they'll flick their finger at you like you have no idea what you're talking about. This is nothing new for Columbia and Maury County. They'll eventually give in when northern Maury County/Spring Hill is much bigger than Columbia and most of the political money comes from there. Some know that this is coming and that is part of the problem.

Again, a new building was needed at Columbia, but NOT the way it is being done.

Edited by Vol5198

Will be interesting to see if the build it and they will come mentality works,,,, from what i know all someone from another county needs to do to transfer into Maury county school system is simply fill out transfer papers and pay a fee....... While that may make sense for some I really don't see / hear of much movement from athletes in Williamson county to another county...

It's been my experience when a new public school is built, it's student body is comprised of numbers due to recent growth in the community. Athletics had nothing to do with it. The schools can benefit from the numbers of students enrolled, but it's never about athletics. It's always about parents wanting their children to be exposed to good schools, in good neighborhoods.

Athletics are secondary ... at best.

Private schools are a different thing altogether. But, even in those cases ... athletics aren't what draw students through the doors initially. That comes later, depending upon that institutions commitment to having a winning program in whatever sports they provide for the student body. Some are more committed to football then others and it's blatently obvious for various reasons. But ... the newness of the school doesn't usually draw students because of athletics.

That's my $0.02 worth of opinion based upon my observations.

Edited by kwc

They have a good high school football team as well. They are not going to win the state championship -- but they do have a good team. They had 2 to 1 offensive yards compared to West last week -- with the #2 quarterback as the #1 QB was lost for the season about a week to 10 days before the game. Special teams let them down. 

I think there are three (maybe more) different scenarios for new schools.

1. The school building is old and they build a new building next to or close to the old school. They keep the name traditions and record. (Alcoa)

2. The area is growing and they add a high school. (Nolensville, Northview Academy)

3. They close a bunch of small country schools and combine them into a new school.

Didn't work out for Harden Valley in Knoxville.  They are still mediocre in most sports.  A good solid program will always get kids to come over a new fancy building.   

Hardin Valley has won state championships in baseball, girls track and field, and boys soccer.