TSSAA Proposal Changes?

mrbigster

Does any of it mean anything.

Definitely!  It's my understanding that most private schools will be required to go division 2 because most of them offer some sort of financial assistance program.  The first proposal they approved was this:

Financial Assistance Program – Any program through which a school provides financial assistance to tuition-paying student-athletes and/or to any member of the student-athlete’s immediate family. Employment by a member school of a tuition-paying student-athlete or the student-athlete’s parent(s), guardian(s), or immediate family member(s) (other than as a full-time certified teacher or classified employee) shall be regarded as a financial assistance program.

For instance, here is what NCS offers per their website:

NCS does not receive any outside assistance with financial aid, but we do offer a limited amount of assistance to qualified families. Students in grades 9-12 who participate in our varsity sports programs are not eligible to receive financial assistance unless they participate in our student employment program, in which case they may apply their earnings to their tuition.  For an application and information, contact the business office at 356-5600 x 115.

By my understanding, this program would now cause them to go D2.  Now they could get rid of the program but for now they'd go D2.

Definitely!  It's my understanding that most private schools will be required to go division 2 because most of them offer some sort of financial assistance program.  The first proposal they approved was this:

Financial Assistance Program – Any program through which a school provides financial assistance to tuition-paying student-athletes and/or to any member of the student-athlete’s immediate family. Employment by a member school of a tuition-paying student-athlete or the student-athlete’s parent(s), guardian(s), or immediate family member(s) (other than as a full-time certified teacher or classified employee) shall be regarded as a financial assistance program.

NCS does not receive any outside assistance with financial aid, but we do offer a limited amount of assistance to qualified families. Students in grades 9-12 who participate in our varsity sports programs are not eligible to receive financial assistance unless they participate in our student employment program, in which case they may apply their earnings to their tuition.  For an application and information, contact the business office at 356-5600 x 115.

By my understanding, this program would now cause them to go D2.  Now they could get rid of the program but for now they'd go D2.

Sounds good to me Moto. 

The only thing they have denied so far is this:

Eligibility Zones:

1) Each school shall have an Eligibility Zone.
a. For public schools, the Eligibility Zone shall be the geographic boundaries and bus routes of the area served by that school as established by the local board of education.
b. For a system-wide public school, the Eligibility Zone shall be the geographic boundaries of the school system.
c. For an independent school, the Eligibility Zone shall be any location within a 20-mile radius of the school.

2) Any student who lives outside the Eligibility Zone of a school and enrolls in that school after the end of his/her 8th grade year shall be ineligible in all sports at all levels for his/her 9th grade year, or the first twelve months of enrollment if after the start of the 9th grade year.

Also, the financial aid proposal I mentioned above will go into effect for the 2017-18 school year.

Definitely! It's my understanding that most private schools will be required to go division 2 because most of them offer some sort of financial assistance program. The first proposal they approved was this:

NCS does not receive any outside assistance with financial aid, but we do offer a limited amount of assistance to qualified families. Students in grades 9-12 who participate in our varsity sports programs are not eligible to receive financial assistance unless they participate in our student employment program, in which case they may apply their earnings to their tuition. For an application and information, contact the business office at 356-5600 x 115.

By my understanding, this program would now cause them to go D2. Now they could get rid of the program but for now they'd go D2.

Thanks for breaking this down Moto. MUCH appreciation man!! Keep it coming.

I wonder what NCS will do...i bet they move into D2.

Not so sure.A lot of kids know they will start and play at the smaller schools.Pay for that round trip in gas and sit out may not be on their mind.Right now the bigger schools are having open gym and their players are telling these kids that yall are the missing pieces.Dyer Co has gotten kids from Halls,Lake Co,Crockett Co.Probably cost Lake Co a couple state championships.Some may still go but some may not.

Yep. And I here they just magically got a 6'8 player.

I wouldnt doubt it one bit.But Dyersburg also has 2 basketball players that live in Lake Co and one of them is a stud and will start for Dyersburg his sophomore season.And a very good source  has it that a Dyersbutg booster is paying his gas.,

Should not happen if true. The one actually pretty much started as a freshman last year. I was told he came here for other reasons. He seems to like it. I see him at all school events. I tried to get him to play football LOL