Covington @ Bolivar 9/4

CHARGERFAN

I go back a long way with Covington football and I can't remember playing Bolivar before. How good is Bolivar?

Covington is fairly impressive despite being 1-1.

Playing a freshman Quarterback, the Chargers lost their opener at Munford 17-14 in double overtime. The final play of the second overtime saw Covington at the 1 or 2 inch line, that close to victory. Looking back, a loss to Munford does not seem so bad, given that Munford beat Arlington 21-7 in the jamboree, then cruised to a big win over Millington in their second game. Both Arlington and Millington were ranked in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen. A 5A team should probably beat a 3A team, but losing to county rival Munford still smarts.

In week 2 the Chargers handled Melrose 34-19 despite the fact that Melrose was also ranked in the Dandy Dozen. After two games, I have to believe that this young Charger team has the potential for greatness. Having stellar freshman squads the last two years has to help the varsity this year.

Any Bolivar info out there?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Covington is very young. That means we will have our ups and downs. I don't want people to overhype our young squad because experience is key for sustained success. We do have some srs on defense and skill positions. We only won 3 games last year. We are hardworking and well coached but we are taking it one game at a time. Bolivar will be a test. We need a road win. Our coaches will have them ready as I am sure Bolivar will be. Should be a good game.

Bolivar is very young as well.  Very talented in the skill positions but young ( and small) on both lines.  I think these teams are similar and I hope to see a good game.

BTW, as a poster already mentioned, I don't remember ever playing Covington in football.  I like the new region this year.  It's nice to see some different teams and building some new rivalries.  Should be fun......and Thank God for football season!!!

From what I've heard about Covington, this game won't be close. Covington will win going away. If it's true that Covington had a kid go for 350 and 5 tds against melrose, then not many teams around this area can stop that.

From the Commercial Appeal:

At Covington

COVINGTON 34, MELROSE 19

Melrose 7 6 6 0—19

Covington 13 0 7 14—34

Cov — T.J. Smith 6 run (Andrew Owens kick)

Cov — T.J. Smith 48 run (kick failed)

Mel — Paris Wilon 31 pass from Ahdai Paige (Quemon Hayes kick)

Mel — Michael Malone 2 run (kick blocked)

Cov — T.J. Smith 46 run (Andrew Owens kick)

Mel — Kendrick Jones 28 pass from Ahdai Paige (pass failed)

Cov — T.J. Smith 39 run (Andrew Owens kick)

Cov — T.J. Smith 35 run (Andrew Owens kick)

Mel Cov

First downs 12 19

Net yards rushing 26 482

Net yards passing 192 0

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — Covington, Ty Boyd 10-68, T.J. Smith 36-357.

PASSING — Melrose, Ahdai Paige 15-34-192-0. Covington, Brock Lomax 0-2-0-0.

RECEIVING — Melrose, Kendrick Jones 6-97, Paris Wilon 5-58.

RECORDS — Melrose 1-1 (0-1), Covington 1-1 (1-0).

I go back a long way with Covington football and I can't remember playing Bolivar before. How good is Bolivar?

Covington is fairly impressive despite being 1-1.

Playing a freshman Quarterback, the Chargers lost their opener at Munford 17-14 in double overtime. The final play of the second overtime saw Covington at the 1 or 2 inch line, that close to victory. Looking back, a loss to Munford does not seem so bad, given that Munford beat Arlington 21-7 in the jamboree, then cruised to a big win over Millington in their second game. Both Arlington and Millington were ranked in the Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen. A 5A team should probably beat a 3A team, but losing to county rival Munford still smarts.

In week 2 the Chargers handled Melrose 34-19 despite the fact that Melrose was also ranked in the Dandy Dozen. After two games, I have to believe that this young Charger team has the potential for greatness. Having stellar freshman squads the last two years has to help the varsity this year.

Any Bolivar info out there?

Glad to see my buddy Marty Wheeler has another good team.  I had them as a sleeper in preseason picks.